bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Quote:
B.C. tribunal hears complaint against Maclean's article

A hearing into a human rights complaint alleging a Maclean's magazine article spread hatred against Muslims began in Vancouver on Monday.

Mohamed Elmasry and Naiyer Habib of the Canadian Islamic Congress complained to the Canadian, Ontario and B.C. human rights authorities after the Toronto-based magazine published the article, titled The future belongs to Islam, in October of 2006.

The article, an excerpt of a book authored by Mark Steyn, talks about Islam being a threat to North American institutions and values. It used statistics to show higher birth rates plus immigration mean Muslims will outnumber followers of other religions in Western Europe.

Habib claimed the article violated the B.C. Human Rights Code by subjecting him to discrimination based on his religion and exposing him to hatred.

Faisal Joseph, a lawyer for the complainants, claims Mark Steyn's article, The future belongs to Islam, crosses the line with respect to Section 7-1 of the B.C. Human Rights Code. (CBC)
"We know under the Supreme Court of Canada [and] under tribunals of this country that there are reasonable limits [to the freedom of expression]," Faisal Joseph, Habib's lawyer, said on Monday.

"There is nothing wrong with Mr. Steyn expressing his view as long as he does not cross the line with respect to Section 7-1 of the British Columbia Act."

Section 7-1 deals with discriminatory publication. It stipulates that a person must not publish or cause to be published anything that discriminates against a person or group, or exposes them to hatred or contempt.

"We're prepared to deal with those articles piece by piece, paragraph by paragraph, and those things that we find objectionable," Joseph said.

Lawyers for Maclean's plan to argue that publication of the article is part of free speech and open debate.

"It does not meet the standard of hatred or contempt, and that's what we'll argue later in the week," said Julian Porter, one of the lawyers for Maclean's.

Tribunal hearing an 'attack of free speech'
Several Steyn supporters waved signs and placards outside the building where the hearing was held in downtown Vancouver on Monday.

They said the hearing shouldn't be happening at all.

"We're of the view in the first place that the human rights tribunal doesn't have any business deciding what appropriate expression in Canada might be," said Jason Gratl, a lawyer for the Canadian Association of Journalists and the B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

"Its activities and jurisdictions undermine the ability of journalists and members of the public to discuss important public issues such as race and religion," Gratl said.

The fact that the hearing is even taking place is an attack on free speech, said Ezra Levant, publisher of the now defunct, Alberta-based Western Standard magazine.

"I think this strikes at press freedom and even the freedom of thought of all Canadians. I think it's really an embarrassment that this is happening," Levant said.

The hearing is expected to last all week.

I know this isn't really exciting stuff for alot of people out there, but it is important, very important. If Macleans is found guilty that means the Free Press is no longer free and now falls under the government thumb under the guise of racial harmony, and proves the racism card will never loose its punch.

Even though the article in question is an excerpt from the Book America Alone, which I've read states only facts, uses polls and cultural trends to predict what the world may be like a couple of decades from now. Its not about "them" its about us.

If MacLeans is found guilty were in some serious trouble.

If you love Canada write your MP about it !

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:27 pm

well lets hope they wont be found guilty... isnt everyone sick of this shit.. when it comes from them.. I guess its ok...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:31 pm

the human rights commission only investigates human rights complaints

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:33 pm

ShintoMale wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Suuuuure it does. Be as gullible as you want.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm

commanderkai wrote:
ShintoMale wrote:

the only people that are gullible are paranoid freaks like Mark Steyn who dehumanise all muslims calling it free speech and then deny the same rights to those who protest.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:03 pm

ShintoMale wrote:
commanderkai wrote:
ShintoMale wrote:

the only people that are gullible are paranoid freaks like Mark Steyn who dehumanise all muslims calling it free speech and then deny the same rights to those who protest.

What are you talking about? Please. They could have protested and burned as many of his books as they can buy, he probably doesn't give two shits. Guess what Mark Steyn is being persecuted for....his free speech.

Oh by the way, free speech isn't demanding a 5000 word article in a privately owned magazine that is unedited, as well as demanding the cover for such issue that they demand the article is in. That's blackmail.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:21 pm

ShintoMale wrote:

ROTFL
That's the funniest thing I've read in quite some time. Do you really have any idea the implications of this tribunal? If this passes, any dissenting view can effectively be shut down and silenced because "someone took offence" with said view. Countries that have done this in the past are places where I don't want to live. If Canada allows this sort of censorship of thoughts and ideas, Canada will cease to be the country that I grew up in and served in her Armed Forces.

You honestly don't have a clue what this could potentially mean.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:41 pm

ShintoMale wrote:

How has he "dehumanized" all muslims ?

If you havent read America Alone by Mark Steyn, you may be shit out of luck in answering that question, because I have.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Yeah like anyone can get me to shut up XD

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:20 pm

ShintoMale wrote:

I see we have a successful graduate from the new faculty of re-education and social engineering. Welcome Komrad Drone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Desipte 2CDO's typical shrill histrionics, this law already exists, so let's not treat it like it's some new thing, that are freedom of speech is just now in jeopardy. I believe that's why Ernst Zundel was jailed and ultimately turfed, wasn't it? I didn't agree with that, and I don't agree with this one either. Same shit, different pile.

Last edited by Zipperfish on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:36 pm

oops wrong thread

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
This law already exists, so let's not treat it like it's some new thing, that are freedom of speech is just now in jeopardy. I believe that's why Ernst Zundel was jailed and ultimately turfed, wasn't it? I didn't agree with that, and I don't agree with this one either. Same shit, different pile.

Yes a law exists but now we have a "Human Rights Commission" that is being used by individuals in an attempt to silence a dissenting opinion. Zundel was an idiot and denied facts about the existence of the holocaust.

We seem to be on the same page with this. I think it is moronic to attempt to regulate thoughts and ideas, and in this case if Mohamed Elmasry and Naiyer Habib don't like freedom of speech then they are free to go live in some Islamic paradise on the other side of the planet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
Desipte 2CDO's typical shrill histrionics, this law already exists, so let's not treat it like it's some new thing, that are freedom of speech is just now in jeopardy. I believe that's why Ernst Zundel was jailed and ultimately turfed, wasn't it? I didn't agree with that, and I don't agree with this one either. Same shit, different pile.

Wow, a personal insult. :roll: And you fail to see the irony in a "Human Rights" organization that supports censorship.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Canada has already done away with free speech. What's the difference?