bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
herbie herbie:
You can still spoil your ballot or vote for Christian Heritage, Independent or Awami League and your displeasure will get duly noted.
If you don't participate you'll be like all the potheads who won't remember to vote, you'll just be a taxpaying drone and the rest of us will decide things for you.

What if I told you that voting doesn't make you any less of a taxpaying drone that doesn't get to decide anything?

Spoiling my ballot is dissed just as hard as not voting, and isn't even counted, making the effort even more pointlessly symbolic for symbolism's sake.

I don't think voting for one of a few assholes to go tow some party line is an adequate use of my "voice", and I don't think voting against someone is really in the iconic spirit of democracy we circlejerk as so grand. What a sad excuse the reality is. Why should I endorse it? Waste my consumer sovereignty? If I hold my nose and pick, it's equal to the one who earnestly desires for that pick; I have no interest in creating demand.

The game is a joke and so are the players. Hard to pick a "least-worst" team when you hate the sport.

Run yourself and then vote for yourself.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Yeah, well, I don't have a grand :lol:

That'd be fun. Go doors to doors.

"Have you heard the bad news?"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:13 pm

$1:

What if I told you that voting doesn't make you any less of a taxpaying drone that doesn't get to decide anything?

Then you'd be fooling yourself.
If I'm following your reasoning, electing a majority NDP gov't would force them to show their hand and convince more people to think like you.Electing a Green majority would make them not just show their hand but come a running, axe in hand.
Yeah, we have a reduced say, mainly because we elected those who reduced our say and ate up their bullshit like it was honey.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:18 pm

herbie herbie:
If I'm following your reasoning, electing a majority NDP gov't would force them to show their hand and convince more people to think like you.Electing a Green majority would make them not just show their hand but come a running, axe in hand.
Unsure what you're trying to say here. My logic is that I've been presented with false choices. And I'm arguing that voting is pointless.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:44 pm

herbie herbie:
$1:

Then you'd be fooling yourself.
Yeah, we have a reduced say, mainly because we elected those who reduced our say and ate up their bullshit like it was honey.

I think he's saying that none of the major parties really represent his interests, which is true, by the sound of things as he's described his situation. Personally, I didn't vote for anybody, since I didn't see any of the parties as all that spectacular, I voted against Harper.

But we have to recognize that we're never going to get a perfect govt that fits our views. How many voters are there? Each one thinks the govt should represent his wishes, so we're being pulled in 20+ million directions. And, in the Western world, we've made a deal with those that hold the real power - leave us a bit, you get the cream and we'll keep playing the game. This is true even of the NDP.

But you should still vote, just to show you care. Vote for an independent, if one of them seems closer to your ideal. Or just the green party, that certainly shakes up the powers that be a bit. Or I was serious. If it costs $1000 to run as a candidate, get some people together to chip in so one person can run. At least that way you're trying, instead of wanking off waiting for the revolution.

While I don't really care if the libs or dems win, I would have liked to see an NDP govt just to shake things up a bit and get the righties all rattled. It's nothing much, but it's something.

Last edited by andyt on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:48 pm

If I voted NDP, it would be a deep compromise. I don't really believe any of the major parties deserve my share of the vote.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:52 pm

The country will move on without you.....you don't have a share if you don't vote. You'll be another one of those who could have but didn't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:56 pm

And it'll matter just as much either way.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:02 pm

I've always wanted to run, nowadays more to run a deeply cynical and crude Rhino-inspired campaign for my own personal enjoyment. Probably would still just encourage people to not vote. Give a little unexpected pushback for the "Get Out and Vote" chanters.

A hobby adventure in the future one day perhaps.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:05 pm

No independent or small-time party available in my riding, so I spoiled my vote. They seriously need a "None of the above" option. Public Domain you could do the same. You still have 1.5 hours.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:14 pm

I didn't bother getting two pieces of valid ID in time; as far as I'm aware I don't think I can be vouched for without that. So I can't even change my mind on this one :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Yes you can - you don't need ID at all, AFAIK, if you have a person vouch for you. Go for it it you can, don't be such a nimrod. Hell, go and stand in front of the polling station and tell people not to vote, they are just supporting a corrupt system. At least you're doing something that way, following your lights.

Last edited by andyt on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:18 pm

If there was real change there would be a beautiful woman running from Prime Minister not a Drunk Green Moonbat.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:20 pm

I still think "None Of The Above" should be on the ballot. If NOTA is first past the post (NOTAFPTP :D ) then a new election is called in the riding. Nobody on the first ballot allowed to run. Just my ideas.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:27 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
I still think "None Of The Above" should be on the ballot. If NOTA is first past the post (NOTAFPTP :D ) then a new election is called in the riding. Nobody on the first ballot allowed to run. Just my ideas.

This. But not only are none of the old members allowed, the new candidates MUST be independents.

As for Public Domain I'm left with the impression that he actively doesn't want to vote as a for of protest. Sadly the only true protest at this time is to spoil your ballot, not going just makes you look lazy. No matter, I think most of his views are loopy anyway and we are better off without them.

In other news, has anyone else noticed the fucking slew of 18-25 year olds at the polling stations???