CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:34 am

It’s very true! I don’t sacrifice my living standards for the environment but I do try to make some decision based on helping the environment if I have a choice.

“The prime minister said the government has an important role to play in resolving the current environmental crisis.” But business and government can only do so much," Harper said.

I agree that our leader have an important role and if they enforced tougher laws then new development and economical prosperity will follow. Otherwise we can do nothing and watch other countries develop cutting edge technologies and Canada can play check up.

Harper says Canadians won't sacrifice living standards for environment
1 hour, 10 minutes ago
By Dene Moore
MONTREAL (CP) - Prime Minister Stephen Harper says Canada will be as green as Canadians want it to be.
Harper, who is poised for a possible federal election this spring, reiterated Thursday that his government will announce mandatory targets to reduce emissions in the coming weeks. "Canada will, for the first time ever, create national, mandatory emissions targets for greenhouse gases and air pollution across major industrial sectors," Harper told delegates at an environmental trade show in Montreal.
Harper said consumption must be balanced with conservation.
"Yet, no population of any country will support an environmental plan that robs them of their jobs and destroys their living standards, even in the short term," Harper said.
The prime minister said the government has an important role to play in resolving the current environmental crisis.
"But business and government can only do so much," Harper said.
"In the long run, Canada will be as green as Canadians want it to be."
Harper praised Canada as one of the world's great energy powers and said with that comes great environmental responsibility.
"Canada must be not merely an energy superpower but a clean energy superpower," Harper told delegates.
Polls show the environment was among the most important issues to Canadians and the minority Conservative government has undergone a green revolution since taking power.
Last month, Harper announced a $1.5 billion eco trust fund to help provinces pay for environmental projects and his Conservative government tabled its own Clean Air Act.
Now the act is stalled in the House of Commons, threatening to trigger the spring election.
All three federal opposition parties want amendments to the act before they will help it pass in the House of Commons.
Chief among the demands is that the bill enshrine the emissions targets set out in the Kyoto protocol, which the Conservatives have rejected as impossible to achieve.
The only reduction target included in the bill is a 40-to-60 per cent emissions cut by 2050.
If Harper makes the Clean Air Act a confidence vote, Canadians will go to the polls.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:41 am

You're just a one trick pony aren't you?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:22 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
You're just a one trick pony aren't you?

As compared to Mr. Harper most are "one trick ponies", aren't they? :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:01 am

Harper says Canadians won't sacrifice living standards for environment.

Sorta like David Suzuki in that it's just his opinion. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:20 am

as a typical neocon, I believe whatever Steve Harper says. If he says that the earth is made of snow, so be it. He is an amazing man, best far right ruler this land mass has ever had. And don't get me started on Pete Mmmmkay. A pair of truly great Canadians. More than that, a couple of really swell guys! (unless you are in a minority)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:25 am

neoconNed neoconNed:
as a typical neocon, I believe whatever Steve Harper says. If he says that the earth is made of snow, so be it. He is an amazing man, best far right ruler this land mass has ever had. And don't get me started on Pete Mmmmkay. A pair of truly great Canadians. More than that, a couple of really swell guys! (unless you are in a minority)

[huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:36 am

$1:

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

You're precious. :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:43 am

Anyone who would rather destroy the Earth in order to maintain a 'lifestyle' is sick. We, as in the human race, take and take and take from the Earth with no consideration about the long term affects.

I want a world that my kids and my grandkids and so on and so on can live in. Greed is a vice that is not only destroying countries it is destroying the planet.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:32 pm

PJB PJB:
Anyone who would rather destroy the Earth in order to maintain a 'lifestyle' is sick. We, as in the human race, take and take and take from the Earth with no consideration about the long term affects.

I want a world that my kids and my grandkids and so on and so on can live in. Greed is a vice that is not only destroying countries it is destroying the planet.

my new truck :D

(no, no just kidding) But I think most people understand what you are saying, nevertheless as long as these toys are manufactured, people will buy them.

Welcome to reality.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:40 pm

I'd be ready to sacrifice some of my standard of living for a better environment. I wouldn't go as far as to accept living like in 1900 or like in a semi-developped country like Brazil, but I wouldn't mind, for example, having to live without air conditionning anywhere or having no choice but to walk or ride a bike several times a week. All the things that hurt at first, but to which you eventually get used to, basically.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:26 pm

That's why i like what Governor Schwarzenegger has been pushing with his "make being envirmental sexy" campaign.

We arn't going to change the "north american" way of life overnight, maybe overtime. But in the short term a large amount of people are still going to want thier big trucks and sports cars, so why not make these things the most efficient they can be.

But I do beleive someones "the masses" or majority arn't always right, and sometimes it takes good political vision and will to bring about positive change. It has happened many times in our past, but the politicians of today, seem to be but a shadow of these visions.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm

Bullocks! I'm willing to give up plenty to save the earth.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Wada Wada:
Harper says Canadians won't sacrifice living standards for environment.

Sorta like David Suzuki in that it's just his opinion. :roll:

The irony is too much. DS used a standard diesel bus because it was the standard he was used to.

If Suzuki won't make the sacrifice no one else will. Spot on comment by the PM.