Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:50 am

...or more precisely, it's not simply a war on the car. The campaign of the urban left in Toronto and other large cities to get people out of cars and onto public transit or bicycles is simply one offensive in a much large war - that on the personal, be it personal mobility (cars), personal possessions (consumer goods) and personal space (single family homes). It's a social engineering scheme dressed up as an urban design movement.

That's why the likes of Christopher Hume, Jennifer Keesmaat, Richard Florida et al want to cram everyone into tiny boxes in the sky in dense urban cores, where there isn't room even to store food, let alone consumer goods. It's about grinding down a person's sense of individuality so that they can be more easily kneaded into the dough of humanity surrounding them. Make the streets their living rooms. Make public parks their back yards. Make them have to shop for food and other essentials pretty much everyday so that people are forced into social interaction. Make sure they can't get anywhere more than biking distance without being herded into public transit. It's a collectivist's dream.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:02 am

Rob!!

Good to see that you're feeling better!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 am

This is an announcement from Genetic Control:

"It is my sad duty to inform you of a four foot restriction on Humanoid height."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:23 am

Which end are you going to take 2 1\3 of a foot off of me?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:31 am

They'll just take away your step ladder.

Freaking Welsh trogs....let them out of the mines and they get all uppity

For Eyebrock wherever you are. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:34 am

Somebody had to mine the tin to put that Campbell's Cream of Traitor Soup into.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Individualist wrote:
...or more precisely, it's not simply a war on the car. The campaign of the urban left in Toronto and other large cities to get people out of cars and onto public transit or bicycles is simply one offensive in a much large war - that on the personal, be it personal mobility (cars), personal possessions (consumer goods) and personal space (single family homes). It's a social engineering scheme dressed up as an urban design movement.

That's why the likes of Christopher Hume, Jennifer Keesmaat, Richard Florida et al want to cram everyone into tiny boxes in the sky in dense urban cores, where there isn't room even to store food, let alone consumer goods. It's about grinding down a person's sense of individuality so that they can be more easily kneaded into the dough of humanity surrounding them. Make the streets their living rooms. Make public parks their back yards. Make them have to shop for food and other essentials pretty much everyday so that people are forced into social interaction. Make sure they can't get anywhere more than biking distance without being herded into public transit. It's a collectivist's dream.

You make it sound like some grand conspiracy, but the fact is it is impossible to build enough roads in most major urban centres to support everybody driving to work, unless they are all willing to sit in gridlock for a few hours a day.

A four lane road carries something like 10,000 or so people per hour, while an LRT line can carry between 20,000 and 40,000 per hour. That increase allows more people to live in major centres AND have a higher quality of life because they aren't wasting 15% of their day in traffic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Never mind all the pollution and GHGs from those idling cars. It's not even just Urban centers anymore, the suburbs have their own grid lock at least during rush hour as well as more people cross commuting (ie from suburb to suburb) I suppose in the burbs it's possible to just keep building more and more roads - doesn't make for good quality of life tho.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:31 pm

bootlegga wrote:
Individualist wrote:

You make it sound like some grand conspiracy, but the fact is it is impossible to build enough roads in most major urban centres to support everybody driving to work, unless they are all willing to sit in gridlock for a few hours a day.

A four lane road carries something like 10,000 or so people per hour, while an LRT line can carry between 20,000 and 40,000 per hour. That increase allows more people to live in major centres AND have a higher quality of life because they aren't wasting 15% of their day in traffic.

This. Individual Automoblies can only give a certain amount of efficiency. Increased density and efficient travel within cities needs better solutions than Automobiles.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:33 pm

andyt wrote:
Never mind all the pollution and GHGs from those idling cars. It's not even just Urban centers anymore, the suburbs have their own grid lock at least during rush hour as well as more people cross commuting (ie from suburb to suburb) I suppose in the burbs it's possible to just keep building more and more roads - doesn't make for good quality of life tho.

...and This.

These issues are not really Rocket Science to deal with, it would be nice if people could take off their Ideological glasses once in awhile and see Reality rather than their fantasies, but alas.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:11 pm

Individualist wrote:

The car part not withstanding, you make some good points and all a person has to do is go to Hong Kong, Shanghai or any other major Asian city to see the results of this cult of urbanization.

But, with that being said we still need to find a balance where people can live in the outlying communities and commute efficiently to the city for work and play. Gone are the halcyon days of the 1950's where our parents worked and lived in their own communities within those cities.

Cramming a million people into a 2 mile square area does nothing but dehumanize people and make them feel more like rats in a maze than humans and if you don't believe me just ask the people living in their 500 sq ft apartments in those nice urbanized Asian cities.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:16 pm

The inly thing that matters to me, as a pedestrian, is that pedestrian deaths aren't dropping. They're making the tin tanks stronger and safer, but drivers are not getting any better at not killing the flesh bags of blood and bones that try to get from place to place with their heartbeat and two feet...

So I welcome public transportation not just because I'm a commie schmuck, but because I'm less likely to be straight up killed by it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:29 pm

The first thing they should do is make the responsibility for any pedestrian incident 50% on the driver and 50% on the walker. How about some of these dipshit twatwaffles take a look up from their fucking phones before stepping out in the street? How about the guy on foot rubbing a couple of brain cells together and acknowledging that he can come to a full stop while walking about a thousand times quicker than the vehicle driver can? It's supposed to be an implied partnership of responsibility, instead it's turned into the usual all-innocent vs all-guilty bullshit that plagues this ridiculous society on just about every issue. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Really? So the 80 yo woman walking in a cross walk with a walk signal that got creamed by a left turning driver - 50% her fault? Of course it doesn't matter, since she's dead. Idiotic Half of all ped deaths in Vancouver this year were caused by drivers turning left into a ped in a cross walk. There's even a vid of an incident, thankfully that ped wasn't killed.

Fault needs to be assessed on a case by case basis. If the ped is in a crosswalk, crossing on a green, s/he's 100 percent in the right. If they're crossing on a red, J walking, or just step off the curb without looking in an uncontrolled intersection, the we can look at apportioning blame.

Drivers need to get over their sense of entitlement. Your bullshit Thanos is the first thing drivers come up with every time this topic gets raised. As if they or their loved ones are never pedestrians as well.

Same deal with bikes/cars. I had a guy in a Ram pickup come out of a parking lot and almost take me out as I was riding on the road. When I caught up to him and told him he could have killed me back there, his response was "that's right." Another time a guy who cut me off told me I didn't have insurance, as if that gave him the right to just drive over me

It's the same deal as with peds - mention what idiots some drivers are around bikes, and out come the tales of bikers riding on sidewalks, not wearing helmets or riding down the wrong side of the road. I don't do those things - how does that make it OK to not care about killing me that other cyclists don't wear a helmet?

Like many people, I'm a driver, cyclist and pedestrian. I see all groups doing idiotic things. I'm always surprised how many drivers seem to be OK with having somebody's life on their hands because they have the heaviest vehicle and figure it makes them king of the road. When they do kill somebody, that's probably when the "I'm sorries" come out. A little late.

Idiotic response, Thanos. You're never a pedestrian who's had close call with a maniac driver?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:55 pm

I nearly got into a fist fight with some meathead in a Dodge mega-truck about five years ago who nearly hit me as I was walking in a mall parking lot. I was looking out as my responsibility was but the idiot nearly clobbered my anyway. I flipped him off and he went into pseudo-tough guy mode the way shits like that always do when they're behind the wheel.

Don't tell me that you're always in the right and I'm always in the wrong. One of your precious pedestrians fucked up a whole string of traffic trying to make a left turn in front of me the other day when he ran out into the street, where there wasn't even a crosswalk, instead of walking another half-block to where the pedestrian overpass had been placed by the city. And that is entirely typical of most pedestrians, because most pedestrians are consumed with their pathetic 'my rights first! my rights first!' attitude than the majority of vehicle drivers are. Me-first, me-fucking-first all the goddamn fucking time.

I'm not surprised you think the exact same way as they do. You're as much a no-compromise all-for-us-none-for-them ideologue as any of the other extremists on this board are. Your veneer of even-handedness is slightly better camouflaged than some of the others but it's merely a veneer all the same.