bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:08 pm

$1:
I have a university degree but have worked as general labour in small factories and small warehouses for 20 years now .

Ah yes, the underwater basket-weaving degree. You should have taken arts, man. At least you would have learned something.

I've worked in general labour for most of my life too. Layton and the NDP aren't hurting for support among workers, they are hurting for support among people who vote without thinking.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:14 pm

We understand reality just fine, Avro, we just don't think that we should give up our morals, scruples, and humanity for a quick buck.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:25 pm

It's funny having a Computer Science degree from 1975 but then having to work in general labour?

The NDP may have support amongst middle class union workers including labour but amongst the proletariate that I work with they are never mentioned.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:47 pm

$1:
Just like your hyporcisy on the fact that globalization has brought poor nations out of poverty.

Alexa McDonagh knew this fact but the party rejected it.

No, globalization, as it has so far been instituted, brought the elites in poor countries out of poverty and pushed the average person deeper into poverty.

The NDP argument isn't against globalisation, but for it. The contention is over how that globalisation will happen and who will benefit.

You should sit down and have a beer or six with Alexa and others who understand the issue, Avro.

$1:
It's funny having a Computer Science degree from 1975 but then having to work in general labour?

They use 0's and 1's now. Oh, and we don't have to write in code anymore.

$1:
The NDP may have support amongst middle class union workers including labour but amongst the proletariate that I work with they are never mentioned.

First of all, I'm interested to discover what you think "Proletariate" means. Second of all, I've only ever been in one union (a bad one) in my life and many of the workers I know are entrepreneurs, according to both the Liberals and Conservatives.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Rev_Blair Rev_Blair:
$1:
I've worked in general labour for most of my life too.

So how come you still support the NDP?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:59 pm

Proletariate? As far as I know it's defined as the bottom 25%.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:11 pm

That's true. However when I graduate with a Computer Science degree it was one of the only fields that was hot. What happened to me is I specialized in software that controls machines which put me in R & D projects. Way before there was a dot.boom there was a R & D bubble of misguided projects. Most R & D turns out to be misguided projects. So that became a bust but it has nothing to do with me. That's just the vagaries of the system. Lots of it around, lots more coming.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:30 pm

$1:
Believe it or not, it's getting better

A couple of points, Avro.

First of all, your article makes a point in defining the number of people living on less tha $1.00 a day and $2.00 a day in the 1970's and saying that fewer people are living below those thresholds now. Fine, but what did $1.00 buy in the 1970's and what does it buy now.

We should be redefining that to something around the $5.00/$10.00 mark, trying to correct that disparity, and be absolutely aghast that anybody is forced to try to live on less. Instead you are claiming that there are fewer people still making $1.00 a day or less is some kind of victory. It's like saying, "I hit my foot with the axe, and only cut off four toes. Ain't it great that my ankle doesn't hurt?"

Second of all, you...and Richard Gwyn...are still missing the point of what the NDP and others are saying.

We are not saying that globalistion is wrong, or even that the present version of it hasn't had some positive effects. What we are saying is that those positiver effects are brutally skewed and that skewing has caused massive hardship for people.

Did Dole bring profits to South America? You bet they did, if you don't mind the spectre of children being beaten so you can have a banana. Is Iran a rich country? I'd say yes. They used to have a democracy too, but we took that away...bad for profits. Has Nigeria got more money now? Yup. They also have a civil war over oil that we are ignoring in the west because acknowledging it makes us look bad. Are American family farmers better off now than they were 30 years ago? Nope. The few that are left make less money. The others work for Cargill or Monsanto and have less money to go along with having less freedom, less choice, and less quality of life. Are African farmers better off? Nope. A lot of them can't even afford seed because of competition from US and European farm conglomerates and the subsidies the US and EU pay.

There's right way and a wrong way to do things. So far we've chosen the wrong way.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:33 pm

$1:
Proletariate? As far as I know it's defined as the bottom 25%.

Yeah, I can tell you've done a lot of research.

[/quote]So how come you still support the NDP?[quote]

Never learned how to tie a tie or lie to old people. What else can I do?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:38 pm

Everybody is concerned about world poverty Rev. Working from memory NGOs have twice as much money as OECD foreign aid. Claining to be more concerned is not a big help.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Rihx Rihx:
doesnt look like any angel I've ever seen

HAHAH thats too funny, did they take the pic down at cherry beach ?