bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 am

$1:
An Ottawa-area Liberal candidate has landed in hot water over remarks about the differences between men and women which appeared earlier this year on his Facebook page.

Jack Uppal apologized for his Jan. 30 Facebook post. (Facebook)
Jack Uppal, the Liberal candidate in the Tory stronghold Nepean-Carleton, on Jan. 30 posted a 500-word “analysis” about how men and women differ on points including language skills, problem solving and driving habits.

The message, which appears to have been deleted, said among other things that men cannot easily learn languages while women cannot “find solutions to problems.”

“If a woman has a lot of problems, her brain can not [sic] classify the problems,” it read.

It also said women cannot easily read maps or recognize certain objects while driving, but are better than men at detecting lies.

The remarks drew a rebuke from Progressive Conservative Laurie Scott, who is running in the Haliburton riding.

“Mr. Uppal’s statements have no place in Nepean-Carleton, in politics, or in our society,” Scott said in a statement Saturday. “I’m proud to be a woman in politics, and proud of all the women standing as candidates in this election.”

Uppal apologized “unreservedly” while suggesting the message was not meant to be taken literally.

"I received and re-shared a Facebook posting that, if taken literally, is without question offensive to both women and men,” he said in a statement. “It was certainly not my intent that the post be taken literally or to offend anyone. I apologize unreservedly."

As of Sunday morning, an Ontario Liberal Party spokesman said Uppal was still running in the riding.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/o ... -1.2638738

Social media burns another unenlightened politician! :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 am

Using Facebook virtually guarantees that your past screw ups can come back to haunt you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:40 am

Yeah, but some of what was said isn't that far off the mark really, and obviously it's talking in generalities.
Most of the girls/women I've known(certainly not all though) were pretty useless with a map. Although when I was about 5-6 yrs old it was my mom that showed me how to use a road map.
OTOH, I believe women are better at detecting lies because they tend to pay more attention to people's body language than men do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Tell most women to go east for 3 blocks, then north, see what happens. YOu've got to say go to the shoe store and then turn towards the hair salon. They use landmarks more than men, so have trouble in unfamiliar territory. OTOH, I've been in the backcountry with women that were whizzes at route finding with map, compass and altimeter. As for men not learning languages, never heard that one.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:35 pm

I don't see why making general remarks like that should get anyone's panties in a bunch. Are people really that hyper-sensitive and take that stuff that seriously?

I don't give a crap if, in some politician's opinion (or anyone's opinion for that matter), women have trouble with this or men have trouble with that. Obviously generalizations.

But yeah... facebook sure gets a lot of people in trouble. I've seen it happen to people I know and it always makes me glad I've never been a member there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:26 am

Strutz Strutz:
I don't see why making general remarks like that should get anyone's panties in a bunch. Are people really that hyper-sensitive and take that stuff that seriously?

Yes they are.

$1:
I don't give a crap if, in some politician's opinion (or anyone's opinion for that matter), women have trouble with this or men have trouble with that. Obviously generalizations.

Isn't it funny how generalizations are based on proof of behaviour, but heaven forbid if you state it.

$1:
But yeah... facebook sure gets a lot of people in trouble. I've seen it happen to people I know and it always makes me glad I've never been a member there.

Never post anything that you wouldn't say publicly face to face with people.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:38 am

He will never wash this out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:17 am

andyt andyt:
Tell most women to go east for 3 blocks, then north, see what happens. YOu've got to say go to the shoe store and then turn towards the hair salon. They use landmarks more than men, so have trouble in unfamiliar territory. OTOH, I've been in the backcountry with women that were whizzes at route finding with map, compass and altimeter. As for men not learning languages, never heard that one.

In my experience overseas, women were almost always stronger at foreign languages than men.

I do agree in general with the landmark bit - most of the women I know prefer to hear landmarks instead of left/right or north/south. Still, it is a generalization - just like his entire post and that is what has offended people (rightly or wrongly).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:24 am

I had a Dutch girlfriend who prided herself on being able to learn languages. (It's a Dutch thing) She was really pissed at how quickly I picked up bits of Spanish compared to her in Mexico. Of course the fact that the men would only deal with me, not her didn't help her mood either.

The guy is an idiot. You don't post those sorts of musings when you're running for office. Somebody is going to be offended no matter what you say. Sounds like he has no chance of winning anyway.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:49 am

andyt andyt:

True on the first points. As to the last points pretty much all of the men I've been around have had no problems learning useful phrases in new languages such as:

"Where's the bar?"

"Where can I find a (date, whore, marriage prospect, etc.)?"

"Where's the bathroom?"

"How much was the fine, officer?"

"How much is bail, officer?"

"I need to speak to the American Embassy, officer."

And other important stuff like that. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 am

"Your hovercraft is full of eels."

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:01 am

andyt andyt:
"Your hovercraft is full of eels."

Something familiar :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:06 am

andyt andyt:
I had a Dutch girlfriend who prided herself on being able to learn languages. (It's a Dutch thing) She was really pissed at how quickly I picked up bits of Spanish compared to her in Mexico. Of course the fact that the men would only deal with me, not her didn't help her mood either.

I don't know about your friend's educational background, but when I lived in Japan, some exchange students from the Netherlands came to the junior high school I taught at. They told me their regular classes were in Dutch, but they also had 5 hours/week of English, 4 hours/week of German, 4 hours/week of French and 3 hours/week of Flemish!

Funny thing is that the exchange students most adept at English were the girls - totally anecdotal of course, but as I said, that has been my experience.

Lots of other European countries have similar curriculums, so it's no wonder that they are better at languages than North Americans. The fact that they can drive for an hour or two and go to a foreign country to practice it probably helps too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am

She was a physiotherapist, educated in Holland. Has lived all over the world. Probably knew more languages than I did, just didn't seem to pick up conversational phrases as quickly as I did. Just anecdotal evidence.

Dutch language is already halfway between German and English, so those are very easy for them to pick up. France is right next door. Flemish, I would guess is a dialect of Dutch. But yes, I was impressed in Holland how they all seemed multilingual. The Germans are actually the same. The French are too snotty to speak anything but French, even if they can, the Brits are too ignorant to learn anything but English in the first place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

"How much was the fine, officer?"

"How much is bail, officer?"

"I need to speak to the (local important guy)

And other important stuff like that.

Ooooo, I have so been there.

It's actually much more fun to talk your way out of it, rather than just pay. :lol:

Or negotiate the amounts. 8O