Author Topic Options
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:03 pm

$1:
Ballistic Missile Indefensible
By Ryan McGreal
Thursday November 18, 2004

The Government of Canada is negotiating possible Canadian participation in the planned US Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) deployment.

Defending Canada's planned participation in a BMD, Defence Minister Bill Graham insists that it would work, deter other nations from developing ICBMs, protect us from likely threats, and won't advance the weaponization of space. All of these claims are false.

BMD Won't Work

Scientists, engineers, and analysts worldwide have concluded that a BMD simply cannot defend North America against real attacks. The technology that might do this hasn't even been conceived, let alone developed.

It's a seductively simple premise: track incoming missiles and launch "kill vehicles" to intercept those missiles before they detonate. Unfortunately, the real world is more complex.

Full Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/article_722.html
Good article on BMD and Star Wars. :rolleyes:

I wonder if anybody can actually point out anything good about going through with such a flawed plan Reagan came up with in one of his dreams :P

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:23 pm

Excellent article, Andem.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:12 am

U.S. missile defense test fails

$1:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- An interceptor missile failed to launch early Wednesday in what was to have been the first full flight test of the U.S. national missile defense system in nearly two years.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:17 am

Maybe if they didn;t get their technical advice from old s/f movies?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:10 am

Godz46 Godz46:
It will work someday, and its mainly for defense purpuses to intercept incoming missiles mid way in the pacific ocean.[/size]

My personal stance is; get it working first, then you can make a sales pitch to Canada.

And by working I don't mean in a controlled enviornment when everything is 'perfect'.

If you read the article, the first tests were postponed because of weather concerns. So... we're only gonna have defense on sunny days?

Sounds to me like they have a lot of work to do.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:25 am

$1:
Just for the record, what exactly is the Leftist position on this? I mean one day I hear.."It doesn't work" and the nexct day I hear "It will blast countries and were not liek that"...so what is it?

See, Godz you aren't listening.

The fact is that BMD doesn't work and most physicists (you know, scientists who reach their decisions based on science instead of old s/f movies) don't think that it will work anytime soon.

The US government has said that this is their first step to getting space-based weapons though. That part will work because the targets are static. Those weapons would not be defensive and could be used to attack other countries. Given the USA's apparent disdain for the rule of law, it is likely that they would the weapons in another "pre-emptive war."

It has already started a new arms race according to statements made by both Russia and China.

If you'd spend some time learning the facts and thinking about what they mean you would begin to understand why so many are so opposed to this. Most of us have already lived through one Cold War and arms race and don;t want to do it again.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:41 am

I cannot believe Martin could even entertain this idea. We are taking another ass kicking in softwood lumber. The US does as they please with no recourse and then he would likely spend half of our little deffense budget on system that may or may not work in the FUTURE.. ................makes me sick.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:25 am

Martin is terrified of making Georgie mad, Richard. He's also got connections to the corporate boys club that cares only about money and not national sovereignty.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:29 am

Richard Richard:
and then he would likely spend half of our little deffense budget on system that may or may not work in the FUTURE.. ................makes me sick.

USA is footing the bill for this system, right? I thought all they wanted from Canada was places to put these things on our coast... I could be wrong (shrug).

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:34 am

the defence shields test didn't work

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ile_usa_dc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:42 am

Twila Twila:
the defence shields test didn't work

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... ile_usa_dc

I saw this on the T.V this morning and all I could was point and laugh :D

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:55 am

Andem,

As long as the technology aspects are going forward, it is early to say it will not work, and it's useless, unless you believe that science is, then we know from where you are coming... :lol: :lol: :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:05 pm

The scientists are saying it won't work, Human. Clearing the air on missile defence
Canada Newswire