CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Profile
Posts: 962
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:26 pm
 


Pipelines are a major political issue in Canada. Getting oil to market is seen as critical to Alberta’s economy. They are a high priority for Stephen Harper’s government, so why has there been so little progress on pipelines?

Unfortunately, many of Ottawa’s actions have only damaged the oilsands’ image, and weakened public support for pipelines. Former Cabinet minister Jim Prentice and government Aboriginal envoy Doug Eyford both blamed Ottawa’s failure to address the concerns of the Aboriginal peoples whose lands the pipelines will cross. They cite it as the main reason for the Aboriginals’ opposition to pipelines.

When Joe Oliver said that the review of the Northern Gateway pipeline risked being hijacked by “radical environmentalists”, Kinder Morgan oil company president Ian Anderson criticized him for making the opposition worse than necessary. Worse, a study of pipeline opponents in B.C. showed that most of the critics were ordinary, hardworking British Columbians, not foreign radicals.

On the policy front, Ottawa has reduced environmental funding for cleaning up oil spills, rushed through major environmental regulation changes in omnibus bills without giving politicians or the public time to really review them, given Cabinet final say over pipelines rather than the National Energy Board, passed new anti-terror legislation that could easily be seen as applying to critics of pipelines, and launched a major audit blitz against a bunch of charities who all, curiously enough, are all publicly criticizing the government. Why are these charities the only ones being audited, and all at once? These actions only make it look like Harper doesn’t care about anyone’s concerns, and will demonize anyone who disagrees.

Also, more and more of our international customers are expecting that oil-producing countries act to reduce emissions. Unfortunately, the government’s main commitment is to a reduction that Enbridge-supported University of Alberta energy professor Andrew Leach says is sure to fail. Business writer Chris Sorensen noted Ottawa’s refusal to pursue tougher emissions regulations that would have shown that it took peoples’ concerns seriously. Journalist Paul Wells has also mentioned how inconsistent the government’s statements on emissions are.

Even if you don’t believe in man-made climate change, our customers are demanding that we do something to reduce emissions. And if the Harper government doesn’t know what it plans to do, then how is the oil and gas industry supposed to know? Business thrives on predictability, and Harper is not providing it.

All of this has caused what former Canadian Gas Association CEO Michael Cleland calls a “crippling” loss of support for pipelines in Canada. Cleland, Leach, Sorensen and others are not radical environmentalists, but they’ve all criticized the damage Harper’s actions have done. Why else would the Canada West Foundation need to produce reports detailing how the oil and gas industry can regain public support?

Stephen Harper has not only failed to strengthen Canada’s oil and gas exports, he has become an active liability for them. At this point, could anyone else possibly do a worse job in getting support for pipelines?


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9211
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:35 pm
 


:roll:


Attachments:
HDS 1.jpg
HDS 1.jpg [ 52.95 KiB | Viewed 584 times ]
Online
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27249
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:43 pm
 


No doubt that Harper dropped the ball majorly on this issue. A simple national carbon credit plan or minor carbon tax, which wouldn't have hurt at all when the oil price was high, would have probably received American approval of Keystone at least several years ago.

It can get worst though. A NDP federal government will probably impose all of this from the top-down and then withdraw whatever federal approval is needed to get Keystone passed on the Canadian side. This sets up a scenario where the Keystone debacle flip-flops because odds are there that if the GOP wins the White House we'll have a Republican president approving the pipeline but a leftist PM in Canada rejecting it. Either way the industry gets screwed on more games being played with what was actually one of the simplest and most straight-forward mega-projects of the last decade. With some give-and-take on the part of the Tories, instead of this nihilistic crush-all-opposition approach they've had for far too long, this pipeline would probably have been mostly completed by now.

A semi-bright spot happened in Alberta today with the provincial government saying that they'll be making moves immediately to take as many coal-fired electrical-generation plants offline and replace them with ones that are natural gas fired. The construction of the new plants will kick open lots of new construction jobs and the pipelines that will be required to feed them will create even more. It's a win-win for Alberta. We have endless amounts of natural gas, the construction will give the gas market a major boost (about the first one it's had in a long time since the price collapsed almost a decade ago), and the end of coal-fired plants puts a huge dent in Alberta's carbon emissions.


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Profile
Posts: 962
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:38 pm
 


BRAH wrote:
:roll:


Hmmm, I wasn't aware that it constituted "Harper Derangement Syndrome" when I provide references to back up what I'm saying, and many of those references are important players in the Canadian energy industry.

None of them are very likely to be found at an Occupy gathering, an NDP campaign rally or an anti-pipeline protest, and yet they're saying many of the very same things I am. How many wannabe Marxists would ever get a chance to head the Canadian Gas Association, be appointed to Harper's own Cabinet, or get Enbridge to sponsor their U of A professorship?

Do these sound like the kind of people who are foaming-at-the-mouth Harper haters?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33600
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:56 pm
 


JaredMilne wrote:
BRAH wrote:
:roll:


Hmmm, I wasn't aware that it constituted "Harper Derangement Syndrome" when I provide references to back up what I'm saying, and many of those references are important players in the Canadian energy industry.

None of them are very likely to be found at an Occupy gathering, an NDP campaign rally or an anti-pipeline protest, and yet they're saying many of the very same things I am. How many wannabe Marxists would ever get a chance to head the Canadian Gas Association, be appointed to Harper's own Cabinet, or get Enbridge to sponsor their U of A professorship?

Do these sound like the kind of people who are foaming-at-the-mouth Harper haters?


Don't worry about it, it comes from a guy with Harper Adoration Syndrome. Any criticism of his dear leader elicits it.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9211
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:31 pm
 


andyt wrote:
JaredMilne wrote:
BRAH wrote:
:roll:


Hmmm, I wasn't aware that it constituted "Harper Derangement Syndrome" when I provide references to back up what I'm saying, and many of those references are important players in the Canadian energy industry.

None of them are very likely to be found at an Occupy gathering, an NDP campaign rally or an anti-pipeline protest, and yet they're saying many of the very same things I am. How many wannabe Marxists would ever get a chance to head the Canadian Gas Association, be appointed to Harper's own Cabinet, or get Enbridge to sponsor their U of A professorship?

Do these sound like the kind of people who are foaming-at-the-mouth Harper haters?


Don't worry about it, it comes from a guy with Harper Adoration Syndrome. Any criticism of his dear leader elicits it.

Suck It Bitches! :lol:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20692
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 pm
 


Thanos wrote:
A semi-bright spot happened in Alberta today with the provincial government saying that they'll be making moves immediately to take as many coal-fired electrical-generation plants offline and replace them with ones that are natural gas fired. The construction of the new plants will kick open lots of new construction jobs and the pipelines that will be required to feed them will create even more. It's a win-win for Alberta. We have endless amounts of natural gas, the construction will give the gas market a major boost (about the first one it's had in a long time since the price collapsed almost a decade ago), and the end of coal-fired plants puts a huge dent in Alberta's carbon emissions.


Let's hope so - Alberta has gotten it right in the nuts over the past year.

Hopefully the NDP won't go crazy and get them to shutdown extra early, or there will be massive penalties to do so.


Online
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 27249
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:57 pm
 


If they take them offline too soon the rate hikes on electrical will be insane, probably as bad as what the McGuinty/Wynne regime has done with their insipid little war on nuclear power to the utility customers in Ontario. Hopefully between the construction of the new gas-fired plants and the shuttering of the coal-fired plants the companies and the government will be able to co-ordinate properly so no major outages of significant length occur at all. We've been taking it right between the lower pair of cheeks since Klein did that half-assed deregulation of the utilities 20 years ago. Any more bad blows like that terrible mistake caused and they might as well shut the doors on this province for good.

I'd suggest to the Dippers that they get this plan off the ground and have construction started ASAP. Odds are they're going to get turfed in the next election and whoever succeeds them will most likely cancel the program altogether. Get the construction started and near as completion as possible by the next election and the new government will have to see them finished because it'd be a colossal waste of money, on par with what Chretien did with the cancellations of the Cormorant helicopters and the Pearson airport deal, that they simply wouldn't be able to allow to happen.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33774
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:40 pm
 


JaredMilne wrote:
Stephen Harper has not only failed to strengthen Canada’s oil and gas exports, he has become an active liability for them. At this point, could anyone else possibly do a worse job in getting support for pipelines?



Are you kidding ?

The other two will shut the industry down, one from incompetence, the other from
rabid foaming mouth ideologies.

You can even pick who is who. :lol:


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Profile
Posts: 962
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:27 pm
 


martin14 wrote:

Are you kidding ?

The other two will shut the industry down, one from incompetence, the other from
rabid foaming mouth ideologies.

You can even pick who is who. :lol:


How would they do that, exactly?

By following a cap-and-trade scheme, like the kind proposed by Stephen Harper in 2008 and supported by those rabid foaming mouth ideologues heading the Canadian Chemical Producers Association, the Vehicle Manufacturers Association of Canada and the Railway Association of Canada?

A carbon tax, as advocated by those socialist titans Preston Manning and Jack Mintz?

Recognizing Aboriginal rights, as advocated by those anti-industry fanatics running Suncor Energy and Tembec?

It's funny how all these guys support actions that are also supported by many progressive, environmental and Aboriginal advocates...but aren't these actions supposed to destroy the oil and gas industry?


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.