CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am

Unsound Unsound:
andyt andyt:

But, to set off the Liberals as you did, while ignoring what the Cons have been up to - that sounds a bit head in the sand.

Curt listed the con's faults, I didn't need to repeat it. Was mostly just trying to hold a mirror up to what he said. I just don't understand anymore how people like him can be so blindly partisan as to think anything would be substantially different under the libs.

To be fair, partisanship might also include the idea that nothing will be substantially different under the Libs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 am

You both make excellent points. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

As I say, gotta change the nappies once in a while.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:47 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Unsound Unsound:
andyt andyt:

But, to set off the Liberals as you did, while ignoring what the Cons have been up to - that sounds a bit head in the sand.

Curt listed the con's faults, I didn't need to repeat it. Was mostly just trying to hold a mirror up to what he said. I just don't understand anymore how people like him can be so blindly partisan as to think anything would be substantially different under the libs.

To be fair, partisanship might also include the idea that nothing will be substantially different under the Libs.

I'd say cynicism, or even hopelessness.

The cons actions recently, particularly in regards to military, have me so depressed and disappointed that I don't even have the energy to be pissed off about it anymore. If I thought any other party was likely to be any better I think that'd be the one issue I'd hang my vote on next election, but there's no point. i might end up voting liberal just to see if they actually go ahead with legalizing pot. Atleast then we wouldn't have Curt starting pro-legalization threads every day. And that's about the extent of any positive change in my quality of life that I think I can reasonably expect from any of these assholes in Ottawa. Or downtown for that matter. Fuck the provincial pols too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 am

In the end, we get the govt we deserve. The cons are big on isolating voting groups they think will keep them in power, fuck those that won't. The Libs will have to play the same game to hold power.

Politics is the art of the possible. When you have an electorate that can't handle the truth, not that much is possible. We all want our entitlements, but don't want to have to pay for the entitlements of those fucks next door. We've been living beyond our means for a long time. I don't just mean economically, but environmentally too. We want all the mod cons, but don't want to pay for what actually makes a cohesive society that's pleasant to live in. Flooding the country with more immigrants than it can bear (at least in the areas that immigrants actually settle in) doesn't make for cohesion either.

We live in a democracy. Money may buy influence with government and the means to influence the electorate, but ultimately it still is the electorate that puts people in power and keeps them there. So we have to point the finger back at ourselves. In a country as large and diverse as Canada, we're probably never going to have government that makes the majority happy. Heck, I bet the Swiss complain about their govt too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:54 am

Depressed Oilers fan is depressed. Yeah, the ongoing Redfraud/Nensheet debacles are an entirely separate yet equally awful turf sammich/giant douche experience. Home grown too, can't blame the Easties for it.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:56 am

Thanos Thanos:
Depressed Oilers fan is depressed. Yeah, the ongoing Redfraud/Nensheet debacles are an entirely separate yet equally awful turf sammich/giant douche experience. Home grown too, can't blame the Easties for it.

Nonsense, you can blame the transplanted easterners who move here and start voting.

I don't blame them, but it's an angle if you want to go that way.

And the Oilers are way less depressing than the state of our government.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 am

All of this just goes to show how truly dismal our choices are.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:28 am

Let's run the CKA party. We'll do so much better, since we have all the answers right here. Legalize pot and use the tax revenue to build up the military to kick ass anytime anywhere. We'll be a superpower.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:35 am

Actually, what is interesting about CKA is that we talk about topics that rarely come up in the wider public debate. You may scoff at the military-centric nature of your fellow posters but the Canadian public avoid/ignore all questions of defence, it would seem. Defence is obviously an extremely important function of any central government on this Earth. It is one of the primary reasons for which we form governments at all ... for defence and to spread risk. The Canadian public just doesn't want to discuss that "dirty little secret" of the military. It is not a health state of affairs. They should be better informed and better able to voice some sort of opinion on what sort of military Canada requires. In a democracy, the public should have some say but also they should have an opinion on something so important if they are responsible citizens.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 am

Realistically, I think we should have a force that can defend our shores, rather than be built for foreign adventures the way it is now. I'm not sure we can muster up much more than that, and wasting lives and money the way we did in Astan is just stupid.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:49 am

andyt andyt:
Realistically, I think we should have a force that can defend our shores, rather than be built for foreign adventures the way it is now. I'm not sure we can muster up much more than that, and wasting lives and money the way we did in Astan is just stupid.

That's a valid point of view and not a crazy use of our forces. We have nowhere near the capacity to defend our own shores and almost all of that falls to our neighbour ... and ONLY because the Canadian public doesn't give a rat's ass about their military. Somebody in this country ought to care more than that about self-defence or we will forget how to do even basic things to defend ourselves ... like patrol our own airspace, shorelines, borders.