CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:36 am

Pollster Andre Turcotte Tells Conservative Gathering Liberals Seeing A Resurgence
$1:
A longtime conservative pollster is warning the movement that the Liberals are seeing a resurgence, and it's not just a flash in the pan.

"Don't shoot the messenger," Carleton University communication professor Andre Turcotte joked Friday to the largely conservative audience at a conference by the Manning Centre for Building Democracy.

It was the fifth year the former Reform Party pollster has delivered state-of-the-movement polling results to the conference, which he calls the "barometer."

This time Turcotte says the change in the numbers "are in the wrong direction for the Conservative movement."

His online poll of 1,000 Canadians found that 31 per cent of respondents identified as Liberals, compared with 26 per cent for the Conservatives and 18 per cent for the NDP. He conducted the poll from Dec. 16-18.

"For the first time since 2010, we see the re-emergence of the Liberal label," Turcotte said.

What's potentially more worrisome for the Conservative government is that on the top concern for the public — the economy — respondents scored the Liberals higher in their perceived ability to handle the issue.

"Control of that particular issue has been lost to the Liberals," Turcotte said, noting the Liberals also rated higher on health care.

Turcotte recommended that the Conservatives embrace an issue that the public cares keenly about, and which they already have positive feedback on, such as the aging population.

"This is an opening for the Conservative movement to take up that mantle," he said.

At one point an audience member asked Turcotte if his polling numbers would be different if he had conducted the survey after a series of controversial remarks made by Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau.

For example, Trudeau had to apologize for making a joke on a Quebec television show about Russia's approach to the conflict in Ukraine.

But Turcotte said those types of gaffes don't usually move numbers significantly. Moreover, he said the downward trend for the Conservative started two years ago.

"There's resilience to the Liberal brand," he said.

Three elections is hopefully enough for Canadians to learn that the Cons really have no idea how to manage an economy, the tough on crime thing is a farce, they support the military only when it scores them poli-points, and they don't care about anything else.

R=UP

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 am

Unfortunately, the Liberal brand, as it stands, is largely built on the nostalgia many baby boomers have for the senior Trudeau (who took a sledgehammer to the economy) and not on anything substantive. I listened to Justin Trudeau's speech it was nothing but the same banal platitudes I have come to expect from a man who gives the impression that he is feckless and likely does not even know why he wants to be prime minister aside from the fact that his father was and that is what the party wants.

A pity too, I am there are plenty of bright, young minds in the Liberal Party but the party itself is obsessed with the "glory days" of a PM who sent unemployment and interest rates into the double digits.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:50 am

Curtman Curtman:

Three elections is hopefully enough for Canadians to learn that the Cons really have no idea how to manage an economy, the tough on crime thing is a farce, they support the military only when it scores them poli-points, and they don't care about anything else.

R=UP

Yep. Time to go back to the Libs.

How many elections to relearn that they have no idea how to manage an economy, don't support the military, their environmentalism is all talk no action, and they really only care about lining their own pockets and hanging onto power no matter what?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 am

As opposed to who? You're not going to vote NDP are you?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 am

Unsound Unsound:

How many elections to relearn that they have no idea how to manage an economy, don't support the military, their environmentalism is all talk no action, and they really only care about lining their own pockets and hanging onto power no matter what?

Four?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 am

Pretty sure I'm just gonna write something obscene on my ballot.

Or maybe run for office myself lol Atleast then I'd have an easy choice on the ballot.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 am

Unsound Unsound:
Curtman Curtman:

R=UP

Uhhh...

CPC does not support the military

CPC doesn't even talk environmentalism

CPC lines their own pockets and hang on to power no matter what

The only thing the CPC has got right is the economy and that's questionable as the banking system was already in place and they had to be strong armed into deficit spending in 2008/2009.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 am

Gunnair Gunnair:

Uhhh...

The only thing the CPC has got right is the economy and that's questionable as the banking system was already in place and they had to be strong armed into deficit spending in 2008/2009.

Didn;t mean to imply that they did do any of those things. They're all crooks and bums, every party.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 am

Somebody here had a good idea of making none of the above a voting choice, and if NOTA wins the election for that riding, a by-election would have to be called to do it again. At least that way voter discontent would be properly registered.

But, to set off the Liberals as you did, while ignoring what the Cons have been up to - that sounds a bit head in the sand. You know the saying, govts are like diapers and need to be changed often. At some point it will be time to hold your nose and toss out the current nappies in the trash. Not sure the time is yet, personally if I voted right now it would be strategically to try to give the Cons a minority. Maybe that would smarten them up without having to give "the hair" his turn at bat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 am

Pretty sure though that the Tory claim to "support the military" is now thoroughly laughable given the procurement cancellations and the F35 debacle. I'll, once again, never ever vote Lib or Dip, but the C's have no one but themselves and that overly imperious PMO to blame for losing ground the last year or so.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:58 am

Gunnair Gunnair:
Uhhh...

As I see it, the chief difference between the Liberals and the Conservatives is that the former has the left-wing version of George W. Bush as a leader.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am

Maybe Kenny will be PM by voting time - would that make you happy?

Actually the economy did best under Paul Martin.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:00 am

andyt andyt:
Actually the economy did best under Paul Martin.

And we was not exactly economically liberal from what I understand.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:06 am

He was a Liberal, which is the point under discussion. He did it with approval of Chretien and cabinet.

Liberals were successful because they were right/centrist economically, left socially. They do favor big government more than the Cons, but the government has grown under the Cons as well.

At some point no matter who's in they need to be kicked out before they get feeling too entitled. Since pretty well nobody is going to vote in the NDP, that means it has to go back and forth between Libs and Cons.

The cons still scare me with statements like "is it my job to feed my neighbor's children?" They just don't seem to see the economic and social costs of saying fuck you to a large part of the population. We might save some money up front, but we wind up paying for it for that person's lifetime - much more expensive financially and socially.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 am

andyt andyt:

But, to set off the Liberals as you did, while ignoring what the Cons have been up to - that sounds a bit head in the sand.

Curt listed the con's faults, I didn't need to repeat it. Was mostly just trying to hold a mirror up to what he said. I just don't understand anymore how people like him can be so blindly partisan as to think anything would be substantially different under the libs.