bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:50 am

$1:
Rob Ford is expected to leave rehab and rejoin the Toronto mayoral race at the end of the month, but he'll be returning to a very different campaign than the one he left – one where he has dropped to also-ran status and holds an all-time low levels of support.

A new poll suggests that Ford now sits a distant third to candidates Olivia Chow and John Tory, with his numbers plummeting since he announced he had a drinking problem and went to rehab, as fresh allegations of crack cocaine use were made public.

A Forum Research poll released on Monday suggests Ford would pull in 20 per cent of the vote in a five-way race between himself, Chow, Tory, Karen Stintz and David Soknacki.

Ford's number has decreased in each of the past four monthly Forum polls.
Chow leads with 38 per cent support, a number that has increased in each of the past four polls.

John Tory now sits in second place with 28 per cent support, which has also increased in each of the past four polls. Soknacki and Stintz sit at five and four per cent respectively.

Ford's number is a notable drop from the 27 per cent Ford was said to have in mid-April, the last Forum poll before Ford took a temporary leave from the race after audio was released of an intoxicated Ford swearing, using racially offensive language and making crude sexual comments about another candidate. The same day, the Globe and Mail reported viewing another video of Ford smoking what is said to be crack cocaine, this time in his sister's basement.

"It's becoming clear that without his bully pulpit at city hall, Rob Ford is a relatively marginal player in the municipal arena, and the momentum is now with Chow and Tory," Forum Research President Dr. Lorne Bozinoff said in a statement. "His approvals continue to decline and Ford Nation continues to shrink, so there will be a lot of rebuilding to do when he returns."

Indeed, Ford's team has indicated that the mayor-in-exile will return at the start of July. Campaign manager Doug Ford has suggested that the campaign doesn't really begin until Ford returns. It seems for many, however, the decision may have already been made.

When this last bit came out, I think he did test the patience of the last group. They were prepared to go with their guy. No one has produced a smoking gun. Suddenly there was a new smoking gun.
—Dennis Pilon, political scientist

More than half of voters (57 per cent) polled by Forum say they would never vote for Ford – compared to 15 per cent who would never vote for Chow and six per cent who would never vote for Tory.

Voters who have indicated they will be voting for other candidates also strongly indicate they wouldn't consider switching to Ford.

And the number of people who say they will definitely be voting for Ford has also declined, from 29 per cent in April and 25 per cent in May to 22 per cent in June.

Meantime, two-thirds of those asked say Ford should resign as mayor, a number that remains unchanged since the latest crack cocaine scandal began.

While this all seems like dour news for Ford's re-election chances, supporters would be quick to remind us that the controversial councillor had been counted out when he ran to become mayor in 2010. Pundits have also suggested that underdog is a position that benefits Ford's messaging – his campaign has maintained a narrative of trying to stop the gravy train by pointing to Ford's marginalized role at city hall.

The upside for Ford, according to York University political scientist Dennis Pilon, is that much of Ford’s remaining support base is not likely to go anywhere.

“In many ways it reflects their political engagement. They are not the model of citizenship as it appears in the political science text book, where people are poring over the newspapers and checking the facts. This is an emotional attachment to a politician who appeals to them on a visceral level,” Pilon told Yahoo Canada News in a recent interview. “It’s always about, ‘He’s my guy, I like the way he sounds. He’s just like me, except he’s got $1 million.’”

The downside, according to Pilon and Forum’s latest numbers, is the section of the vote where Ford may be able to draw more support from has significantly shrunk. And considering that scandals and contentious headlines haven't stopped appearing while Ford's been away, it might be a steeper hill than Ford is prepared to climb.

“I wonder if he can climb back at this point,” Pilon mused. “When this last bit came out, I think he did test the patience of the last group. They were prepared to go with their guy. No one has produced a smoking gun. Suddenly there was a new smoking gun. In that sense, I think a lot of people who have been defending him all this time really felt shafted.”

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybr ... 43741.html

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:02 am

And the Wild Rose was going to sweep the AB provincial elections as close as a few days before the election.

As the politicians are found of saying the only poll that counts is on election day, and it's not an exit poll.

Must be a slow news day, oh wait it's not.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 am

People love a redemption story.

If Ford comes back healthy, slim(er) and keeps his nose clean (literally) he does have a chance to take back the lead.

I wouldn't count him out yet.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 am

God Help TO if Chow wins. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:12 am

BRAH BRAH:

People usually get exactly the government they deserve.

If Chow wins, it's what the people want.. and they will pay for it. :)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:15 pm

martin14 martin14:

Or about 20% of the population that voted.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:28 pm

I don't see how Chow can be any worse than Ford.

I can't see Rob Ford doing much at this point. The only people that would vote for him now are those that just want to see it all burn.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I can't see Rob Ford doing much at this point. The only people that would vote for him now are those that just want to see it all burn.

I don't think you understand just how much some people hate Comrade Chow

and her Champagne Communism.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Didn't she meet Jack at a "Rub n' tug" when she worked there. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

And you call me OTL? :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

I do..met her once.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:23 pm

martin14 martin14:

I don't think you understand just how much some people hate ...

Probably not, no. The haters are the ones in Rob Ford's corner. The ones with such contempt for the political system that they'd vote for crackhead gangbanger for Mayor. They just want to watch it all burn.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:31 pm

martin14 martin14:
BRAH BRAH:

TO will indeed pay for a Mayor Chow who's been living in glass houses and riding on the coat tails of Jack Layton.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Which will still be better than a fat rich fuck who passes himself off as the little guy who does nothing but bring shame unto the city and the country.