CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:46 am

Strawmen are bult to be burned

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:28 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Mmm....you can't use an invented dialogue that never happened except in your own imagination to prove your hypotheis

Interesting. I thought that my saying "What I worry about" and "could end up something like this" gave clear indication that what was to follow was hypothesis, not proof.

My invented dialogue was simply an illustrative device, a piece of exaggerated parody to make it clear just what I was worried about. Plus it gave me a chance to make fun of progressives' proclivity for academic jargon. I was trying to find a way to fit "racialized" in there somewhere, but couldn't find an opening.

In short, no straw was harmed in the making of my previous post.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:55 pm

If that is a legitimate fear you have of what the future will look like under some vague sense of leftist omnipresent acedemic oppression, and you're arguing against that future, it's a strawman, and you burned it down. Which, hey, is fine. But your fear is completely irrational.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:04 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Mmm....you can't use an invented dialogue that never happened except in your own imagination to prove your hypotheis

You can find examples of people saying that it's impossible to rape white people because rape is sexual assault plus privilege and whites are a privileged group without anyone above them all over the internet.

Similar to how you can't be sexist towards men, because all men have privilege over women.

The neo left, or SJW are rather in love with the idea of privilege as that cause of all their failures.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:19 pm

We're coming for you Xort, you cisfucker, and we're going to distribute you evenly :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:42 am

$1:
Well, we could always improve and copy Norway say, a much more peaceful country, but as has been pointed out, we're just not at that level yet.

It's not a case of being at that level yet. The population of the entire country of Norway is less than that of the GTA with a total prison capacity for 4,000 inmates.
At this moment they are full up and having to ship prisoners to other countries to serve out their time.
And it's not like Canada is prison happy. As of March 2013 there were only 15,000 prisoners in the federal system, a lower percentage of the population compared to Norway.
While Norway has a recidivism rate that's around half of Canada's (low 20s vs 41-44%), it's also important to note that the recidivism rate for violent offenders in Canada is only around 14%.
It's also important to remember that not all Norwegian prisons are "resort" or "spa" type prisons. There's one in Norway that looks like what a person would expect a prison to look like and where an inmate has about the same "quality of life" as any Canadian inmate.

Most people think of Bastoy when then think of prison in Norway but Bastoy is a special prison. It's part prison, part half-way house and part working-vacation resort. Only prisoners who are already serving sentences longer than 5 years in other facilities can apply for Bastoy and they can only apply to serve out their last 5 years or less and must have demonstrated a willingness to live a crime-free life. It's also a one shot deal. Reoffenders are not given the option to apply for Bastoy. IIRC it houses a total of 232 inmates that are a mix of white-collar criminals and violent offenders.
The recidivism rate for inmates who served time at Bastoy is 16%.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Xort Xort:
The neo left, or SJW are rather in love with the idea of privilege as that cause of all their failures.

Yes, "privilege" has become their magic go-to word. Being identified as privileged means the following:

Your opinions carry no weight, and are to be treated as immediately suspect, unless they are self-flaggelative in nature. You have no right to comment on your own privilege, other than to parrot what you've been told about it by progressives. In short, you just plain don't count.

You deserve no credit for your supposed achievements and accomplishments in life and work, as they are solely the product of your "unearned advantage". They're nothing to be proud of, and you are not to be rewarded for them. References to your hard work and self-discipline are particularly discouraged.

You carry the moral stain of the actions of your ancestors and those like you who share your privileged status. It's kind of like Original Sin, but without a means of salvation.

Expanding on your point, whatever pain and suffering you've experienced in life is inconsequential, because it isn't "pain plus privilege". You do not deserve sympathy.

This is about trying to emotionally hobble those belonging to "advantaged" groups to help bring about the statistical parity in all economic and social outcomes that is the obsession of progressives. It's not about raising anyone up. It's about pulling certain people down.

It's all about relative prosperity with them. Progressives would be fine with us all living in mud huts and scavenging for a living as long as our huts are all the same size and we all have equal access to the carrion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:44 pm

You are terrified of an imagined threat you've distilled from batshit blog posts. Privilege, the way I throw the term around at least, is being brought into ideal living conditions. It has been extended into meaning the ignorance of those that have privilege when they speak shit about the unprivileged. When men talk about "whores" having abortions, or the rich talk about the lazy poor, or whites talk about ghettos and reserves, and then judge the lives of these unprivileged as if they were just on your level of gumption then they'd have nothing to bitch about. That's privilege to me, and this place oozes with a whole fuckton of old white men who abuse the shit out of their privilege to cut down anyone they view as inferior.

You can twist it into some progressive "cut the tops off the trees" crap but for the most part it's about racist/sexist/classist/homophobic people treating others like shit, or making assumptions about their struggles.

It aims to keep people in their place. Worry about your yacht, stop calling poor people shitty names.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Xort Xort:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

You can find examples of people saying that it's impossible to rape white people because rape is sexual assault plus privilege

Umm in real life you can only find examples of right wing nut jobs saying that their friends neighbours cousins mailmans former roommate overhead a leftie saying that. In real life is s just another figment of the conservative imagination. Conservatives love to invent non-existant threats and arguments

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:12 pm

White 'privilege' = being held responsible for the actions of your ancestors by people who take no responsibility for the actions of their children.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:45 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
You are terrified of an imagined threat you've distilled from batshit blog posts. Privilege, the way I throw the term around at least, is being brought into ideal living conditions. It has been extended into meaning the ignorance of those that have privilege when they speak shit about the unprivileged. When men talk about "whores" having abortions, or the rich talk about the lazy poor, or whites talk about ghettos and reserves, and then judge the lives of these unprivileged as if they were just on your level of gumption then they'd have nothing to bitch about. That's privilege to me, and this place oozes with a whole fuckton of old white men who abuse the shit out of their privilege to cut down anyone they view as inferior.

You can twist it into some progressive "cut the tops off the trees" crap but for the most part it's about racist/sexist/classist/homophobic people treating others like shit, or making assumptions about their struggles.

It aims to keep people in their place. Worry about your yacht, stop calling poor people shitty names.

If the concept of privilege was just about "walking a mile in someone else's shoes before passing judgement on them", I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I honestly think that the way the word is used by the academic left is more insidious than that, and Xort or I could easily come up with examples that aren't "some batshit blog", unless you consider mainstream publications like The Guardian to be such.

People generally wind up in bad situations in life as a result of a combination of bad luck and bad decisions. If you don`t like my use of the word "luck" here, think of it as "external circumstances beyond one's control" or whatever kind of systemic *ism, *phobia or other form of oppression you feel applicable. The point is that we all begin at some basic socioeconomic starting point at birth and are dragged upwards or downwards through our lives by things that happen to us and by things that we choose to do.

Sometimes it all nets out to zero and we end up pretty much in the same social condition in which we started, with our children sharing pretty much the same starting line as us. Sometimes one's overall fortunes improve or diminish over the course of his/her life.

Some of us are born in a hole so deep or fall in one due to later circumstances that no number of good decisions on their part will allow them to emerge. Some are so deep in the hole due to their "luck" that their decisions have little effect on the outcome one way or the other. I don't believe that these scenarios constitute the majority of those currently living in poverty, but I'm prepared to consider the possibility that I'm wrong.

I think there's a danger in telling people that individual choice has no role in play in improving one's material condition, just as I'm sure you'd say that there's one in telling people that it's their own fault if they're poor. The truth is somewhere between these two extremes.

Yes, there are people who are "born on third base and think they hit a triple". They're not in a hole, but rather on top of a hill that they didn't have to climb. Inherited wealth plays a large role in the creation of this class. Unlike their parents or ancestors who went from flat ground or even a hole to climb the hill, those who inherit wealth cannot full appreciate what it took to ascend to the heights that they so effortlessly occupy, and how precarious life can be for those downhill.

Should such people refrain from passing judgement on the behaviour of those less fortunate? Probably. I think it's fair though to point out when someone is engaging in behaviour that is not helpful to him/herself. And let's face it, we all engage in such behaviour to some degree.

Unlike many of my contemporaries on the right, I'm a strong supporter of single-payer health insurance (what we call "Medicare"), but one of the negative consequences of it is that some people now feel they have the right to judge and micromanage the lifestyle choices of those around them. "Hey, I'll be paying for the heart bypass that fat guy is going to need, so I have the right to tell him to start exercising and lay off the McDonald's."

I think in general we need to mind our own business more and that of others a lot less. As you say, the rich guy should worry about his yacht (or how his investments are performing), and less about what the beneficiaries of his taxed revenue are doing.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
We're coming for you Xort, you cisfucker, and we're going to distribute you evenly :lol:

From my cold dead hands red. :p

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Umm in real life you can only find examples of right wing nut jobs saying that their friends neighbours cousins mailmans former roommate overhead a leftie saying that. In real life is s just another figment of the conservative imagination. Conservatives love to invent non-existant threats and arguments

You should spend more time listening to SJW, feminists and gender studies university educated types. Fire up your twitter, or take a dive into the sticky slum of tumblr.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:45 am

Xort Xort:
You should spend more time listening to SJW, feminists and gender studies university educated types. Fire up your twitter, or take a dive into the sticky slum of tumblr.

It's basically just adolescent revenge fantasies intellectualized by people who want to hate other people simply for their identity characteristics but still feel like they hold the moral high ground while doing so.