canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:21 pm

kenmore kenmore:
you people need to study the history and get a copy of the BNA act and the constitution... then get a grip... bilingualism is here to stay...French/English English/French.......... Vive le Quebec ! Vive le Canada ! ensemble ! The Plains of Abraham didnt settle anything .. that was hammered out long after that.... and like I say until English as a language is threatened ( and it will be ) then and only then will they understand why Quebec wants to protect French...

Didnt read the article did you.... lol

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:18 pm

kenmore kenmore:
you people need to study the history and get a copy of the BNA act and the constitution... then get a grip... bilingualism is here to stay...French/English English/French.......... Vive le Quebec ! Vive le Canada ! ensemble ! The Plains of Abraham didnt settle anything .. that was hammered out long after that.... and like I say until English as a language is threatened ( and it will be ) then and only then will they understand why Quebec wants to protect French...

I've always asserted that Quebec "uniqueness" has an enormously strong precedent. It's too bad some have such a poor understanding of Canada's past.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:48 pm

you guys really make me laugh....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Quebec is a joke. They are fighting for culture rights in one hand, and in the other hand they have no problems trampling over other cultural rights.

IMO, bilingualism is an idiotic concept for a multilingual country. Most of the provinces are only pretending to be bilingual, and quebec is capable of being bilingual but with their anti-english laws it is obvious that they don't want to be bilingual.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:37 pm

Only one province is bilingual, and none of the other nine even so much as pretend to be, actually.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:06 pm

new brunswick? PEI?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:23 am

New Brunswick.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:29 am

Streaker Streaker:
New Brunswick.

Ture, but the Federal gov't is bilingual, as it should be..

i disagree with the lecture, we should keep a bilingual aspect of Canada, at least for gov't services,

even if costs more money. A citizen is a citizen, no matter where in the country they live.

I once tried tried to get some service in French in Whitehorse, just to see if they could.. :)

took a while, but they found someone eventually.

Bilingualism is now an important part of Canada, in spite of the history..

one of the many things that separate us from the states.. it becomes even more important now due to the other groups that have emigrated to Canada, that we keep some of our Canadian heritage.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:33 pm

martin14 martin14:
Ture, but the Federal gov't is bilingual, as it should be..

Bilingual services to the public is a reasonable demand, even though it may not work in some areas of the country. But I disagree that from inside and out it should be bilingual. That's just stupid way of ignoring the majority of people that can contribute alot to the country but are passed over becaus Ils parle pas francais. I mean its great for francophones in Canada are at advantage to getting jobs over anglophones, because they happen to live in North America 340 million anglo's and it easier for them to learn english, than it is for english people to learn french.

If the roles were reversed I can guarantee you that anglos would be the ones getting the jobs. We would be more bilingual than francophones, then we would finally get to say don't be lazy and bitch about it just learn english, we learned french right :wink:

martin14 martin14:
I once tried tried to get some service in French in Whitehorse, just to see if they could.. :) took a while, but they found someone eventually.

Why did you do that ? it seems like you can speak english fairly well. What would have done if you couldn't get served in french ? Write a complaint to the office of official languages. See If I was in Quebec City at a government building even though I can speak french but lets say I couldn't and they couldn't find anyone that could speak english, I wouldn't freak over it. Because I realize that Quebec City where the overwhelming majority of the population speak french, and even if your bilingual at one point in your career, if you dont use the other language you lose it. So should we expect that person who's not in contact with other people that are english from a day to day basis. That they must take the initiative to keep up on themselves by buying english papers and watching english programs they have no real interest in watching ?.... meaning forcing them to do it.

martin14 martin14:
one of the many things that separate us from the states.. it becomes even more important now due to the other groups that have emigrated to Canada, that we keep some of our Canadian heritage.

Your proud of a progam that's costs us untold billions from an office who's excempt from the access to information act that's as usefull as bull with tits, is something to be proud of because it seperates us from the states culturally ? Even though they have a high population of unilingual spanish people probably more than francophones in Quebec, they seem to not have any official bilingualism laws. More of an unspoken one were people seemed to be getting the services they need from government agencies.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:09 pm

Brenda,

I say either pick one that will enhance our trade prospects (that's easy to learn) or simply pick a native language. We could speak it anywhere and nobody would know what the hell we were saying - not too practical maybe, but it could on occasion be hilarous.

I work with guys from all across the planet (just in my office): US, UK, India, and all over Canada and it takes a while to understand that everyone is serious about wanting to liquidate our resources at the lowest possible cost. Get on the team called Canada and quit whining.

Bilingual? So what. My nieces are and if I ever dare to add to the planet's population mine will be too, not to mention post - secondary educated. This sort of stuff will take generations and Quebecers are losing their big chance to improve the prevalance of their language across 32.5 (?) million people in a friendly way instead of oppressing it onto a quarter of that under the guise of "protection" and making the rest of us think they're children. Just let the hatred of anglos die....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:44 am

Bodah,

I don't know where you have the idea that for "them", learning English is easier than "us" learning French. Maybe there is more popular culture in English, but i can't see any other reason.. If you think French is hard, try one of the more exotic European languages.. Slovak, Russian, or Hungarian.. French is easy.

When you mentioned Quebec City, i got confused for a second, then realized you might be thinking on a provincial level, whereas I want to limit this discussion to the Federal gov't.

Federal offices in Quebec are very bilingual; officially, Provincial offices are not.. but its a safe bet that getting English services in Montreal is a lot easier than French service in Toronto.. I used to live in Montreal; it may have changed.

Lastly, i dont recall the Spanish in the States being regarded as a founding people of the country.. the french in Quebec usually are.

I enjoy that Canada aspires to be bilingual.. i support that idea.

My Canada includes Quebec, and i am prepared to support efforts towards that idea.

I dont hear the French in France ever complaining about taking care of our military cemetaries over there. No matter the money, it is part of their culture and they simply get on with it.

Having said that, I also agree the Quebecois havent done a great job with bringing French to the ROC.. it could be done in a much better way

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:35 pm

Quebec is the only province will balls... since when do all these rights come into play? there are two and only two languages that are official..
Quebec was guaranteed these rights in the BNA.... and they are not stepping on the cultural rights of others.. like I say you assholes will wake up when English is threatened as a language ..and it will be...
if you think that peoples rights are being violated in Quebec go to Iraq or Iran or anywhere in the middle east or any communist country , south america and see how many fucking rights you have...
wake up and smell the coffee ............ jeeze

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:38 pm

and by the fucking way.... there is a big difference between multicultural and multilingual..... if you are looking for a joke start with multiculturalism... biggest costly fucking mistake that was ever made.
people come here and after 20 yrs still cant speak english or french. they dont want to and they dont have to... such fucking bullshit.. I am all for people keeping their culture, religion and language... just keep it at home

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 pm

If we started to put all umpteen dozen languages on everything in Canada, it would become more obvious how fucking retarded it is for us to patronize the french language. The french dont want multilingualism, they just want special status for the french.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:53 am

Multiculturalism was instigated by a clique of Quebec based politicos......and is now coming back to bite them in the butt. Multiculturalism is the biggest threat to their cherished language and culture.

We didn't protect our language and culture....good on the Quebecois for defending theirs....even in futility.......