canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:46 am

"you" dont patronize fuck all aging... the french were here first ... found it long before the english... the only reason you dont like french is because you cant speak it... once again for those of you with alzheimers... the two OFFICIAL LANGUAGES OF CANADA ARE FRENCH AND ENGLISH... end of fucking story.... and like i said time and time again.. when english is threatened and it will be... then you will wise up and have a better understanding of why Quebec has bill 101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:50 am

kenmore kenmore:
"you" dont patronize fuck all aging... the french were here first ... found it long before the english... the only reason you dont like french is because you cant speak it... once again for those of you with alzheimers... the two OFFICIAL LANGUAGES OF CANADA ARE FRENCH AND ENGLISH... end of fucking story.... and like i said time and time again.. when english is threatened and it will be... then you will wise up and have a better understanding of why Quebec has bill 101

Bill 101 is racist and should have been outlawed. I'm surprised the UN has never had anything to say about it.

People in Quebec don't speak French they speak "pig french".

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:50 am

I am french by origin.

You are correct, I don't speak french, and I wish I learned it.

However, I do not support the quebecois anger for other Canadians,

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:20 pm

bill 101 is far from racist... it is protectionist yes...french language and culture in Quebec is threatened by the immigrants coming to Quebec..given a choice they would choose english as a second language.. they would eventually erode the french language to minority status in quebec.. 101 is not an anti english exercise..it is to make sure that french is the main language in quebec.. we do not have anger for other Canadians... there is also a misconception of the use of the word nation...Canada is a Country the people are a nation. like the first nations..people... quebecois are unique and are a nation of french speaking peoples within Canada...understanding is key to keeping all provinces in confederation... When (like I say) english is threatened by ...say Chinese then english Canadians will seek to protect it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:28 pm

kenmore kenmore:
bill 101 is far from racist... it is protectionist yes...french language and culture in Quebec is threatened by the immigrants coming to Quebec..given a choice they would choose english as a second language.. they would eventually erode the french language to minority status in quebec.. 101 is not an anti english exercise..it is to make sure that french is the main language in quebec.. we do not have anger for other Canadians... there is also a misconception of the use of the word nation...Canada is a Country the people are a nation. like the first nations..people... quebecois are unique and are a nation of french speaking peoples within Canada...understanding is key to keeping all provinces in confederation... When (like I say) english is threatened by ...say Chinese then english Canadians will seek to protect it

English will never be protected, the Liberals in this country will always bend to the rights of the "minority".

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:33 pm

I don't understand how a province that is capable of being bi-lingual (Quebec) as compared to other provinces that only pretend to be bi-lingual(British Columbia).........how can Quebec claim to be bi-lingual, yet they have used the 'not withstanding clause' to override a Supreme Court of Canada ruling that stated that the business sign laws are unconstitutional.

The business sign laws are anti bi-linual. In one hand you say that english is good, yet in the other you say "no english allowed on business signs".

And it isn't even english. Calgary's Chinatown has no english, and exclusively asian signage....... quebec doesn't allow this.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:33 pm

mtbr
$1:
Bill 101 is racist and should have been outlawed. I'm surprised the UN has never had anything to say about it.

Yes it is racist but why are you surprised? The UN only denounces Isreal and the USA for abuses real or imagined. They refused to denounce the Taliban, Zimbawi or the Sudan.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 pm

$1:
Bill 101 is racist and should have been outlawed.

I'll agree with that. It is pretty much a linguistic racism law. I can sorta understand why Quebecers feel it's necessary, but I still think it's overdone.

$1:

No, they don't.

Quebecois French is just that, Quebecois. It is a distinct dialect of French, much like Creole is. Or what Jamaican English is to regular English. It's still teh same language and not a "hick" version of it; merely another dialect.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:39 pm

kenmore kenmore:

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the whole "we're protecting our culture" line of bullshit.

Quebec as a province and the Quebecois culture has survived for over 400 years. In that time, Quebec has come under attack, British rule, waves of immigration, and anti-french laws, and has still survived and kept its distinct culture.

Don't you think you should have a little more faith in your culture? Give the whole protectionist thing a break. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:39 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
$1:
Bill 101 is racist and should have been outlawed.

I'll agree with that. It is pretty much a linguistic racism law. I can sorta understand why Quebecers feel it's necessary, but I still think it's overdone.

$1:

No, they don't.

Quebecois French is just that, Quebecois. It is a distinct dialect of French, much like Creole is. Or what Jamaican English is to regular English. It's still teh same language and not a "hick" version of it; merely another dialect.

Tell that to someone from France!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:43 pm

Instead of showing respect, Quebecois, at least a critical mass, show big offence to French French.

Use a Quebocois phrase in France and you will be treated like something lower than whale shit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:45 pm

$1:
Tell that to someone from France!

I have. What's your point?

Quebecois French differs from French French, which differs from African French, which differs from Creole, etc., etc...

The same can be said for English. British English differs from Canadian English, which differs from American English, which differs from Australian English etc., etc.

Same goes for Spanish. Hell, in Spain alone there are four major dialects! After that, you have Filipino Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Cuban Spanish, Mexican Spanish, etc., etc.

There are many dialects for many languages across the face of the planet, and if you can't see that, then it's your loss.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:45 pm

dont count on the feds to protect anything..you have to do it...
and mtbr you dont know shit.. dont worry about another language until you get a handle on english.... there are many dialects in Quebec as there are in various parts of France.. people in Ontario and Manitoba who are french speaking have different idioms and dialects.. Acadians.. many english speaking people do not speak the queens english.. get your unilateral brain out of your half cracked ass...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:47 pm

$1:
there are many dialects in Quebec as there are in various parts of France..

That's very true.

$1:
get your unilateral brain out of your half cracked ass...

R=UP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:49 pm

kenmore kenmore:
dont count on the feds to protect anything..you have to do it...
and mtbr you dont know shit.. dont worry about another language until you get a handle on english.... there are many dialects in Quebec as there are in various parts of France.. people in Ontario and Manitoba who are french speaking have different idioms and dialects.. Acadians.. many english speaking people do not speak the queens english.. get your unilateral brain out of your half cracked ass...

My mother is from Manitoba, French is her first language she laughs when people from Quebec try to pass their French as the "correct" one.

I don't know....? have you found Saskatchewan yet? ROTFL