CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:10 pm

It's all people wanting to say "see??"

If Trudeau was ever going to make the dollar drop then it wouldn't have been down in the range below 80 cents pretty much all of 2015.

The dollar has been on a slow and steady decline since December 2012 when it was at par. Was that because Nostradamus predicted that JT would be elected?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Wasn't the low dollar the greatest thing ever though during the Chretien/Martin years because it boosted exports? Won't repeat itself twice though, not with the number that McGuinty/Wynne have done on the Ontario economy. Those two dummies chased more exporting businesses out of the province with their electrical power price hikes than anyone outsourcing to Mexico or Sri Lanka ever did.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Wasn't the low dollar the greatest thing ever though during the Chretien/Martin years because it boosted exports?

Well, it was really good for manufacturing because workers were paid in Canadian dollars and exports were mainly in US dollars.

Now that Canada doesn't have any manufacturing, it isn't good at all. Sure, something sold in USD will be good for Canada in general but with oil in the piss tank, it isn't doing 'us' much good now.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Wasn't the low dollar the greatest thing ever though during the Chretien/Martin years because it boosted exports? Won't repeat itself twice though, not with the number that McGuinty/Wynne have done on the Ontario economy. Those two dummies chased more exporting businesses out of the province with their electrical power price hikes than anyone outsourcing to Mexico or Sri Lanka ever did.

I can understand the last part relation on electrical power price spike's and business and home sales and rentals. There is a similar issue here in Las Vegas. One reason why many here are packing and moving out. Even I sold my home here cause of Electrical price and stupid Tax's being way to high. Hopefully soon I'll find a home in Texas or Florida and there Job market is way better there and stable and Real estate is more stable, lower tax's and cheaper electrical rates.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:33 pm

smorgdonkey smorgdonkey:
Thanos Thanos:
Wasn't the low dollar the greatest thing ever though during the Chretien/Martin years because it boosted exports?

Well, it was really good for manufacturing because workers were paid in Canadian dollars and exports were mainly in US dollars.

Now that Canada doesn't have any manufacturing, it isn't good at all. Sure, something sold in USD will be good for Canada in general but with oil in the piss tank, it isn't doing 'us' much good now.

Says who,? There is all sorts of busy manufacturng going on around here. There is no more manufacturing left if you live in a place like North Sydney, NS.
Do you, Snorkdonkey?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:45 pm

No, I don't live in Sydney. I do live in Nova Scotia where manufacturing has been under major pressure for quite some time now though. And relative to another conversation, all of those auto jobs are gone so that is a huge thing.

So, where are you and what is all of the manufacturing that is going on that is being exported?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Kitchener has had its Manufacturing Industry gutted. Many plants closed, and many more out of work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:14 am

llama66 llama66:
Kitchener has had its Manufacturing Industry gutted. Many plants closed, and many more out of work.

So has everywhere else that I have heard of...except this place Jabberwalker lives apparently.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Individualist Individualist:
One thing I've noted since the end of the election is just how poor, ungracious winners some people can be. It seems Harper Derangement Syndrome will long outlive the Harper government.

The hatred, schadenfreude and bitterness I saw welling up from the Toronto Star editorial staff and from Canadians on various comments boards has really taken me aback. The irony of such people celebrating the "end of nastiness" at the federal level is breathtaking. It's almost like they didn't hear Justin Trudeau refer to Conservatives as neighbours rather than enemies, or simply chose to ignore him.

Unfortunately, there will always be little people who engage in this kind of crap.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but there was a fair amount of gloating and bashing of 'Count Chocula' here on CKA after the 2011 election.

I didn't like it then and I don't care for it now. Harper, like his policies or not, served his country and at the very least deserves credit for doing that. I thought Trudeau did very well in his victory speech on Monday night when he said, "Conservatives are not our enemies, they are our neighbours."

It always seemed to me that much of animus towards Harper as a leader was driven not by his policies or even his style of governance...

No, it was his policies that pissed lots of people off.

As soon as he got a majority, he began throwing meat to his base, getting rid of the long form census, long gun registry, brought in tax cuts that favoured the wealthy, created new ways for the wealthy to dodge taxes (TFSAs, income splitting ,etc) and so on.

While a solid 30% of the country liked those changes, much of the other 70% didn't, and that was a huge factor in the Conservative defeat.

This is not in any way to minimize the legitimate criticisms people have over Harper and his style of governing. But throwing around words like "fascist" just cheapened the public debate, just as people using terms like "Tommunist" is respect to Mulcair or the NDP's policies did so. As you know, I'm no stranger to over-the-top rhetoric myself, but there are limits.

I'll certainly agree with that.

I thank Thanos for teaching me Eisenhower's thoughts on the extremists (the far right and left of the road are in the gutter and unusable - the only worthwhile part is the middle) to teach me not to go down the "Harperite' road like some others here did.

However toxic the relationship between federal parties is, I think most professional politicians realize that their opponents are just as sincere in their pursuit of public service as they are. They just have different ideas about how best to serve the public. It's mainly us armchair commentators who get all tribal and vicious about it.

Here I have to disagree with you.

One of the first things Harper did after getting his majority was get rid of the vote subsidy. While he and supporters are argue it was a 'waste of money', I and many other Canadians saw it as a crass attempt to destroy his political opponents, who at the time did not have anywhere near the fund-raising ability of the Conservatives.

Justin Trudeau, to his credit, clearly took the scolding he got from his father on separating the ideas from the person when he mocked Joe Clark to heart. He ran a good campaign, and very importantly for me, admitted that his father made some damaging mistakes, particularly with regard to Western Canada and Alberta in particular. His comments in that interview years ago about how Canada is better off when Quebecers are in charge and how Albertans are unfit to govern still don't sit well with me, but people do learn and grow, and I'm hoping he's done so in this case.

Given the blue prairies and red Ontario and Quebec, I'm sure he will be tempted to listen to the ghosts of Keith Davey and his own father (and the not yet ghostly Jean Chretien) in terms of how to deal with Western Canada. I hope he can resist those voices and continue reaching out to those regions of the country that didn't send MP's this way. If he can do that, he will not have necessarily won my vote, but he'll have won my respect.

The litmus test will be when he names his cabinet. If he excludes the MPs from Alberta and Saskatchewan, you can be sure we'll be enemy number 1. However, I think he will do what Chretien did and make at least one of them a cabinet minister to assuage those fears and give us a sat at the table.

Likewise, I'm hoping he can be similarly broad-minded when looking at those groups outside of his urban base, given the new "Downtown Consensus" reality I've described elsewhere. That means he'll have to keep a tight rein on Adam Vaughan and his "only (big) cities count" agenda.

Living in a city, I'm somewhat biased, but the fact is that more than 70% of Canadians live in cities, and they face financial hurdles that rural areas don't (big ticket items like transit and infrastructure).

He has to place more emphasis on cities simply due to demographics. Frankly, I was kind of surprised that Harper didn't do more - if he had, he might have won this election. Rural votes can only take you so far in this country...

Seeing the ugly media (both proper and social) response to the defeat of Harper and the Conservatives has brought me to a "Physician, heal thyself" moment. I am giving up my long-standing hatred of Pierre Trudeau. I do this without whitewashing or downplaying the harm I felt he caused to many Canadians, particularly in Western Canada, or his aloofness from both of the great moral struggles of the 20th century - World War II and the Cold War. But he sincerely pursued public service in accordance with his values, achieved significant things while in power, and probably did not intend to cause much of the harm he did to Canadians outside his geographic and ideological base.

I grew up in Alberta in the 70s and 80s and it was a rough time here - and like many I hated PET too (his Salmon Arm salute didn't do him any favours either).

However, time has given me the gift of introspection and while I didn't like many of his policies, I now see the necessity of many of them.

The biggest thing I think that many people don't realize is that PET was one of the only PMs in recent history to really look at Canada as a while and make decisions on what he felt was best for the entire country.

While he may have kneecapped Alberta with the NEP, it wasn't out of any malice, but what he thought was best for the country. Same goes for declaring martial law and enacting the War Measures Act to deal with the FLQ. Both were dangerous precedents but he did both on what he felt was best for Canada, not this region or that region.

The absence of property rights, while unfortunate, does not invalidate the Charter, which is a remarkable document. Someone who cherishes individual rights as much as I do cannot but celebrate their enshrinement in a constitutional document.

I will continue to disagree passionately with much of what that man did, much as I will no doubt disagree with many of his son's policies and actions. But the Harper-haters have taught me some valuable lessons. The next time the pendulum shifts more in my direction, I will endeavour to be a gracious winner. And I will try more to focus on the ideas rather than the people.

R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 am

smorgdonkey smorgdonkey:

:roll: Just stop talking.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:14 am

Thanos Thanos:

From what I've read, most of the manufacturing jobs have either left due to lower wages elsewhere (unskilled jobs went to Mexico and China for example), while the others have simply been replaced by more automation (robots took many higher skilled jobs).

Having sad that, I'm sure power rate hikes didn't help either and maybe even expedited those shifts.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:29 am

It's amazing how much the robotics alone have changed things over the last 20 years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Harper/Trudeau/Mulcair... for me, this was a lose/lose/lose choice. [huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:18 pm

smorgdonkey smorgdonkey:
No, I don't live in Sydney. I do live in Nova Scotia where manufacturing has been under major pressure for quite some time now though. And relative to another conversation, all of those auto jobs are gone so that is a huge thing.

So, where are you and what is all of the manufacturing that is going on that is being exported?

I live in Oakville Ontario just down the road from a couple of Ford assembly lines

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:17 am

there aren't many of those left.

don't forget, Windsor used to be a manufacturing centre for Ontario, and now all of that is gone and being replaced with cupcake shops and dog groomers.

there's also an IWW hall ^_^

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  Next