Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

A new poll suggests Stephen Harper's Conservatives are surging ahead of the Liberals, even in the crucial province of Ontario, where Liberals have long held an advantage.

The Decima Research poll released Thursday showed the Conservatives held 36 per cent support nationally, which is similar to the Tories' numbers when they gained power just over a year ago.

The Liberals' support fell to 27 per cent, well below the mid-30s the party held shortly after electing Stéphane Dion leader in December. (Looks like Dion was indeed a terrible choice)

In Ontario, the Tories also surged to 40 per cent support this week, compared to 32 per cent for the Liberals, 15 per cent for the NDP and 13 per cent for the Green Party.

The survey of just over 1,000 Canadians was conducted between Feb. 22 and Feb. 26, with a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

The numbers suggest the prime minister and his party are succeeding in convincing women, urban and Ontario voters that the Tories are a moderate rather than hard-right government, Decima CEO Bruce Anderson said.

Greens gaining, Bloc flagging

The poll also suggested the Green Party continues to show momentum across Canada, with 13 per cent support nationally, tied with the NDP for the first time in Decima's polling, the agency said.

The poll recorded 35 per cent support for the Bloc Québécois in Quebec, down significantly from its numbers in the run-up to the last election, when the Bloc was regularly closer to 50 per cent support in its home province, Decima said.

"It seems more the case that they can find little to rally anti-Ottawa emotion with," Anderson said Thursday in a release. "And so those voters in Quebec who are nationalist but not separatist feel free to consider their other options, which now decidedly include the Green Party."

The Liberals followed the Bloc in Quebec with 23 per cent, with the Green Party at 13 per cent, and the NDP with seven per cent.

In an average of the last three weekly polls, the Conservatives have 33 per cent, the Liberals 30 per cent, the NDP 14 per cent, the Bloc nine per cent and the Greens 11 per cent.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/03/ ... ories.html

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:40 pm

I'll be very interested to see the results of the next election if these numbers hold.

To me it'll be an utter travesty if the Greens get more votes than the Bloc or the NDP and are still shut out.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:41 pm

hehhehhhehhehhhheeehhehhhhe Way too funny! I guess this should shut down the theory of the Liberals having the "God given right" to lead this country. it appears the right they have these days is to fail at convincing the intelligent portion of this country that they aren't full of shit. It appears many more than just us conservatives are seeing them as the liers and thieves they truly are.

Here's a hint Liberals. After Kim Campbell Was duped into being leader by BM and the government fell, we Conservatives walked away and went about rebuilding the party ot what it is today. The Conservative party is not perfect and does have it's faults, but because we recognize that, we are better able to judge for ourselves what kind of job they are doing. We don't need some fool with the KCFactor telling us what is right and what is wrong. Already Harper's office has dropped the far right wackos and is doing what the center right want to happen. The key to any success in government is to seperate the bile from the leader and his/her policies. That and honesty.....which Dion lacks completely. :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:51 pm

lily lily:
So today we believe polls are good?

Just trying to keep current. ;)

No kidding.

Poll 1: Libs in teh leads!

SJ: Pollz are teh suxxorz... :evil:

Poll 2: Cons in teh fronts!

SJ: Heh hhehh hhe! Sux it libz! CONS FTW!!!11!!1eleven! :twisted:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:10 pm

The only polls that really matter happens on election day.

A 9-point lead over the Liberals is no reason for Conservatives to get complacent. There is a lot of hard work to be done.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:41 pm

Patrick_Ross Patrick_Ross:
The only polls that really matter happens on election day.

A 9-point lead over the Liberals is no reason for Conservatives to get complacent. There is a lot of hard work to be done.

That's pretty much it, yea. Polls may be useful in the days just before an election, but even then wasn't there a bit of an upset in '04?

There are perhaps two polls, though, that really count. The election and the exit poll. Exit polls are far from flawless, but they probably do keep fraud in check. I wonder why we don't use / hear about them more here.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:42 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
The poll recorded 35 per cent support for the Bloc Québécois in Quebec, down significantly from its numbers in the run-up to the last election, when the Bloc was regularly closer to 50 per cent support in its home province, Decima said.

"It seems more the case that they can find little to rally anti-Ottawa emotion with," Anderson said Thursday in a release. "And so those voters in Quebec who are nationalist but not separatist feel free to consider their other options, which now decidedly include the Green Party."

One thing is for sure, from NFLD to Quebec to Alberta Harper has sucked the momentum from the separatists that the Liberals had crafted.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 pm

No surprise at all.

Fucking thanks Dion, for crashing the party into the ground...

Bastard....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:27 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
No surprise at all.

Fucking thanks Dion, for crashing the party into the ground...

Bastard....

In fairness, Martin and Chretien cratered the party.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:01 am

I can't help but wonder what role the Conservative party's anti-Dion ads played in this nosedive.

Actually, that's not true. I know the played a role. Although Canadians generally insist they dislike aggressive political ads, they work -- at least that's the theme of the Warren Kinsella book I'm reading right now.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:20 am

I can't help but wonder what role the Conservative party's anti-Dion ads played in this nosedive.

Actually, that's not true. I know the played a role. Although Canadians generally insist they dislike aggressive political ads, they work -- at least that's the theme of the Warren Kinsella book I'm reading right now.
Well, yeah. They were pretty good actually.... :(

So what are the policies of getting rid of Dion?

You know, other then assassination....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:13 am

As I always say, "In order to make a Poll stand up, you have to shove it into a Hole".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:26 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

Well, yeah. They were pretty good actually.... :(

So what are the policies of getting rid of Dion?

It doesn't matter who was selected Liberal leader, they were going to come under attack.

Dion is doing well by not sinking to the same level as Harper, I don't think Canadians like this style of politics as much as Americans. Time will tell how smart the conservative strategy is.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:38 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
........So what are the policies of getting rid of Dion?

I would have a hard time suggesting someone wack this idiot, but since he's not really a Canadian at heart, I say "May the best shot win!". :wink:

But seriously, the only way you can get this guy out is to lose the election so badly that the party leadership, beyond the puppet Dion, gets the message that the party is dead and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. The Conservative Party went through this and it actaully made the party better. The time out helped to get rid of the shit and bring in a new leader that knows what it means to lead. You have to admit Harper does act the part of a stateman and not the Dion circus act. Everytime he speaks the clowns pour out of the car.....The pollution belching car..... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:45 am

SJ-24 SJ-24:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
........So what are the policies of getting rid of Dion?

I would have a hard time suggesting someone wack this idiot, but since he's not really a Canadian at heart, I say "May the best shot win!". :wink:

But seriously, the only way you can get this guy out is to lose the election so badly that the party leadership, beyond the puppet Dion, gets the message that the party is dead and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. The Conservative Party went through this and it actaully made the party better. The time out helped to get rid of the shit and bring in a new leader that knows what it means to lead. You have to admit Harper does act the part of a stateman and not the Dion circus act. Everytime he speaks the clowns pour out of the car.....The pollution belching car..... :lol:

Wow thanks for that informed political commentary.

It's still early in Dions' mandate in the Liberal Party and the conservatives have been running a full court press on him since he's taken over. Let's give the man a chance to show what he can do.