Author Topic Options

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:33 pm

[QUOTE BY= Brent Swain]<br /> Bring back the open mike and all its rowdyness. Thats politics.<br /> Brent[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Hear hear! That's democracy and accountability too!<br />

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:22 pm

Stop complaining and get active. Most of these decisions are up to local organizers, not national parties. At our federal and provincial debates there were LONG lines, and it was pretty lively. The most important factor I discovered was just how little 'representatives' actually knew about the issues, sometimes even their own party's platforms.<br /> <br /> However, at our local municipal election, the questions were written on paper, and many were very clearly 'set up' questions for particular candidates. <br /> <br /> But if you want to change it, get involved in your local riding and get a voice in how the debates are set up. In fact, it is quite easy to set up an organization yourself and sponsor a debate. I recommend the former, because like I said, they do have the stand up questions in many places.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:26 pm

As someone who has been on the other side of the microphone I can say this - YES to the open questions!<br /> <br /> Sadly, I must also add that participation in all-candidates meetings are very, very low. At least so in the Vancouver area. Sure some meetings draw out a few more people, but most are viewed by less than 50 people, with most of those being family members, friends, and supporters already close to the candidates. <br /> <br /> I've done over 30 such meetings, and the open format is the best. Television cameras tend to bring out more people... hmm wonder why? <br /> <br /> Best meeting three years running was organized by the local homeless and outreach centres. It seems the poorer people are, the more they are interested in spending some time getting heard and listening first-hand.<br /> <br /> Good things I would suggest others do if organizing such meetings - advertise it widely, open format, make it over two hours (if people care they will stay and listen), have a questionnaire of local topics/concerns etc for the candidates to answer before the debate then air their results (the stupidity of some leading and eventual winning candidates will shock you), and keep it fun. Last but not least, and does it need to be said? - invite ALL THE CANDIDATES! That's why they are called all candidates meetings!!<br /> <br /> Oops should also add - invite the local media and make and release your own press release about the event including key points/events of the debate.

If there was ever a time for Canadians to become pushy - now is the time - for time is running out on this nation called Canada.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:14 am

I'd just like to add that for political problems this is way down the list. Your local candidate has almost no power, and usually just spouts the party line -though not always. In the case of the 'not always' you can guarantee that the person will spend their life as a backbencher and so have zero influence on policy. <br /> <br /> Even municipally if you look at your local alderman, councillor, whatever, in a council of as few as six this means that your councillor has almost zero ability to do anything but tow the status quo.<br /> <br /> So in the end, what you are fighting for is the right to line up at a microphone, ask an intelligent question-with no follow up, then get a pat reply or no reply. In cases where the answer is policy, the candidate's view has little more clout than yours.