Author Topic Options

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:58 pm

We first have to be presented with a good PR system that the general public will feel comfortable with. The PR that has been promoted is generally STV and it has what I think are serious design flaws that make it perhaps no better than the status quo. Rather than repeat myself, I've mentioned my concerns about STV in another thread, and I'll try and dig it up if anyone is interested.<br /> <br />

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:16 pm

In dont think any elected party is discussing Electoral reform in Alberta. I guess that died with the Reform Party.

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:25 pm

I'd be interested to see what you've previously written on the subject rearguard.<br /> As Dr C says, there appears to be no interest in the subject in Alberta if you use the mass mediocrity as the yardstick.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm not sure that's the reason. BC's wasn't STV was it? It's been awhile now but I can't quite remember. New Zealand has MMP, and New Brunswick Legislative Committee I think was looking at MMP. <br /> <br /> I don't think that's the reason simply because I doubt most people could attach a name to the current ways that elections are conducted. I usually try to bring it up with new people just to see their response and most of the people I know are in the University setting and usually I simply get blank looks.<br /> <br /> In Ontario I don't think anybody even knows the committee is going on. TVO runs regular features on it and plugs it at their website, but have few people commenting. <br /> <br /> New Zealanders seem to be very happy with MMP, however, even if a referendum asked "would you exchange the current electoral system for X", a lot of people would probably respond "whats an electoral system?" Federally we've figured out how to elect minority governments regardless, which makes PR not as pressing. <br /> <br /> However, that leaves Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and perhaps Newfoundland but I heard Danny Williams was polling at around 70% so I don't think there is a big push there.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:57 pm

[QUOTE BY= Milton] I'd be interested to see what you've previously written on the subject rearguard.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> See this thread started by atlanticaparty:<br /> <a href="http://www.vivelecanada.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=3&showtopic=17937">Electoral reform?</a><br /> <br /> There's good comments in there from everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:21 am

For the record, the Atlantic Party endorses British Proportional Representation (STV) similar to the BC proposal of a few years ago. We would hold a referendum on implementing it for provincial elections in Atlantic Canada.