Author Topic Options

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:39 pm

Yes may as well accept the fact that we live in a dictorship, so I guess there's little point in spending so much money fooling ourselves by funding such an elaborate and expensive illusion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:28 am

[QUOTE BY= rearguard] Yes may as well accept the fact that we live in a dictorship, so I guess there's little point in spending so much money fooling ourselves by funding such an elaborate and expensive illusion. [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Bingo.<br /> <br /> We don't advocate abolishing parliament. But you see the point of asking this question. If you do not think political reform is needed and that the current role of the legislature is just fine, then why not go for abolishment? It will same a lot of money and the end result will be the same.<br /> <br /> If you like the idea of a *substantive* check on the government you need to push for reform; for starters not allowing the executive to control the legislature, for a sharing of powers between the two.

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 am

The problem is that the people who are charged with implemting reforms are the same people who prefer the system the way it is - or prefer to make it even worse.<br /> <br /> The "rules" are stacked high in the establishments favor and it's only theoretically possible to oppose the establisment while being impossible in practice.<br /> <br /> You'd need a billionair funding an uprising or you'd need some kind of social event that changes millions of minds in unison to break the status quo.<br /> <br /> To be optimistic about a very gloomy situation, I see two things happening that may help effect real change:<br /> <br /> 1) Government has simply gone too far, and people are finally seeing through the bullshit because it's being spread on much too thick to hide.<br /> <br /> 2) The freedom and wide spread use of the internet for the first time in human history, allows people to communicate as uncensored broadcasters. The by-passing of corporate and government controled media, for the first time ever, allows millions of people to read, listen, and view alternate points of view without restriction and can communicate en masse their own points of view mostly without restriction. There's no one source to shut down, and only efforts such as the destruction of net neutrality can slow down what's happening (even the destruction of net neutrality won't stop what's happening as the cat's already outta the bag so to speak).<br /> <br /> The change I'm refering to is not something that will happen over night and may take another decade or even two. The best way to break a system of imprisonment of our own making, is to first become aware that the prison is of our own making and that it is a prison only we as individuals can break ourselve out of - no one will do it for us, least of all those we elect.<br /> <br /> For me, I'm not really interested in supporting yet another politician since I've come to view the concept of politicians as being outdated and unworthy of the effort and cost. Politicians are far too easily bribed and corrupted, and politicians by their nature are not good for much other than winning popularity contests - they have little worth outside of their profession, and to put incompetent people in charge of solving real world problems or with managing a society in general is lunacy (case in point - look at our f'd up world as it is being run by corrput and incompetent politicians).<br /> <br /> Now having said that, I'll still support any change that takes us a step in the right direction, even if it involves incompetent politicians, or the implementation of another imperfect system. Any change that takes us closer to a better ideal is a good step to take.<br />

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:50 am

[QUOTE BY= rearguard] The problem is that the people who are charged with implemting reforms are the same people who prefer the system the way it is - or prefer to make it even worse.<br /> <br /> The "rules" are stacked high in the establishments favor and it's only theoretically possible to oppose the establisment while being impossible in practice.<br /> <br /> You'd need a billionair funding an uprising or you'd need some kind of social event that changes millions of minds in unison to break the status quo.<br /> <br /> To be optimistic about a very gloomy situation, I see two things happening that may help effect real change:<br /> <br /> 1) Government has simply gone too far, and people are finally seeing through the bullshit because it's being spread on much too thick to hide.<br /> <br /> 2) The freedom and wide spread use of the internet for the first time in human history, allows people to communicate as uncensored broadcasters. The by-passing of corporate and government controled media, for the first time ever, allows millions of people to read, listen, and view alternate points of view without restriction and can communicate en masse their own points of view mostly without restriction. There's no one source to shut down, and only efforts such as the destruction of net neutrality can slow down what's happening (even the destruction of net neutrality won't stop what's happening as the cat's already outta the bag so to speak).<br /> <br /> The change I'm refering to is not something that will happen over night and may take another decade or even two. The best way to break a system of imprisonment of our own making, is to first become aware that the prison is of our own making and that it is a prison only we as individuals can break ourselve out of - no one will do it for us, least of all those we elect.<br /> <br /> For me, I'm not really interested in supporting yet another politician since I've come to view the concept of politicians as being outdated and unworthy of the effort and cost. Politicians are far too easily bribed and corrupted, and politicians by their nature are not good for much other than winning popularity contests - they have little worth outside of their profession, and to put incompetent people in charge of solving real world problems or with managing a society in general is lunacy (case in point - look at our f'd up world as it is being run by corrput and incompetent politicians).<br /> <br /> Now having said that, I'll still support any change that takes us a step in the right direction, even if it involves incompetent politicians, or the implementation of another imperfect system. Any change that takes us closer to a better ideal is a good step to take.<br /> [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> We agree 100%<br /> <br /> It is extremely unlikey that the current elites (people, parties) in the system are going to reform the system, despite it being for the common good. If there is any reform coming from the top it is likely to be rather weak. It probably is not possible to join a major party, rise to the party leadership and become the PM and then turn around and suddenly support electoral reforms that allow more competition, political reforms that break up the monopoly of power for major parties, and make changes meant to free the house from the control of the PMO. <br /> <br /> We modestly suggest that a political force from outside is needed to come in with a reform agenda endorsed by the citizenry.