Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:38 pm

The issue that "no party has even garnered 60% in an election" is moot, because electoral reform should not be a party issue. It should be non- or multi-partisan.<br /> <br /> About 15 years ago, New Zealand conducted two referenda on electoral reform. Both passed, and MMP was chosen.<br /> <br /> The first referendum had one simple question: "Do you want the electoral system changed - YES or NO?" It passed with a simple majority - which was the requirement set beforehand. This then meant that the NZ Government was committed to conduct the second referendum.<br /> <br /> The second referendum presented the voters with some options to be selected: MMP, STV and a few others. While the NZ Government tried very hard to sidetrack the referendum, even setting up a mock organization, the simple majority selected MMP and this was then instituted.<br /> <br /> I guess this would be the only logical process. Requiring a 60% approval rate (as was also done in BC) is too high and patently unfair.<br />

Jacob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:01 am

"Ontarians will be invited to make online submissions to the Assembly beginning October 23. The Assembly will also hold 37 public meetings across the province between late November and the end of January."<br /> Firstly the public has to know about it! This seems to be the best kept government secret, I first became aware of it via a comment in a blog some months ago and have seen little or no referance to it since. Has anyone seen ANY MSM coverage on this important issue.<br /> <br /> <br />

When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to remember that the initial objective was to drain the swamp

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:43 am

Amen, people have to know about it. Join Fairvote.ca and help spread the word wherever you are. That's an excellent point from Jacob above, I didn't know about the first referendum. The only problem in Canada I would see is that it would have to be clear that people would get to vote on the system, because people distrust the government so much that they think they'd botch the job. However, thats an excellent thing to know. But also, how many people even understand the system?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:33 pm

Interested citizens should visit the web site of the Ontario Citizens’ Assembly on Electoral Reform at<br /> http://www.citizensassembly.gov.on.ca/en-CA/home%20page.aspx<br /> The scedule of meetings is posted there, as is a form to comment to them via the internet.

When you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to remember that the initial objective was to drain the swamp