CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3171
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:43 pm
 


Rugby - a game like American Football (Gridiron) except played by real men - unlike American Footballers (we call it American Football cos "soccer" is "football" on Britain) who wear 10 tonnes of Kevlar body armour, stupid helmets and play a game that stops every 30 seconds.

The Six Nations Championship is held every year between England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France and Italy. England are the World Champions and Wales are the Six Nations Champions.

This year's Championship started on Saturday and here are the results -

England 47 - 13 Wales
Ireland 26 - 16 Italy
Scotland 20 - 16 France

Scotland did World Champs England a massive favour by pulling of a SHOCK victory against France, England's nearest challengers. Scotland, along wth Italy, are usually the Tournament's annual whipping boys.

The table after 1 round of games -


...............P........W.......D.........L........F.......A.....Points........P/D
England....1.........1.......0.........0.......47......13.....2..............34
Ireland.....1.........1.......0.........0.......26......16.....2..............10
Scotland...1.........1........0.........0......20......16.....2...............4
France......1.........0........0........1......16......20.....0..............-4
Italy.........1.........0........0.......1.......16......26.....0..............-10
Wales.......1........0.........0........1......13......47.....0..............-34



Image
England Mark Cueto scores a try (a touchdown) against Wales at Twickenham, England's home ground. Wales haven't won at Twickenham since 1988. Also, notice the lack of huge amounts of body armour and helmets.


Image
Wales scrum-half Dwayne Peel carved a huge hole through England's defence and feeds open-side flanker Martyn Williams for the score. The sides go in 15-10 to England at half-time.
© PA


Image
Mark Cueto was a constant threat...
© Reuters


Image
...but it was Mike Tindall's score with 19 minutes left that was the killer blow.© PA


Image
Lawrence Dallaglio scored on his return to England duty after 17 months in retirement, Matt Dawson scampered over and Tom Voyce completed the rout.
© Reuters


Image
Ireland VS Italy. Ireland welcomed back Brian O'Driscoll as they began their 2006 RBS Six Nations campaign against Italy.
© Reuters


Image
Ireland's Marcus Horan battled hard throughout but it was Jerry Flannery, making his full debut, who ran in Ireland's opening try. Italy hit back immediately with a sharp try from Mirco Bergamasco.
© PA


Image
A surprising decision by the referee not ask the fourth referee to rule on Tommy Bowe's break saw a key try given to Ireland despite Mauro Bergamasco holding the Irishman up.
© PA


Image
Paul O'Connell gave a man-of-the-match performance as rusty Ireland triumphed over battling Italy by 26 points to 16.
© PA


Image
Scotland VS France - Sean Lamont shocked France with a try (touchdown) after 12 minutes as Scotland impressed early on at Murrayfield. Scotland went in 13-3 ahead at half-time.


Image
The Scots conceded a try but ran out deserved 20-16 winners over the pre-tournament favourites courtesy of two tries from Lamont and the boot of Chris Paterson.


At the weekend, England play Italy, Wales play Scotland and Ireland play France.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
Profile
Posts: 6234
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:58 pm
 


Do you suffer some type of inferiority complex? I'm sure it's not with Canadians, it must be with the Americans. Are you not allowed on any American or British sites?



GreatBriton wrote:
Scotland did World Champs England a massive favour by pulling of a SHOCK victory against France, England's nearest challengers.


How's 'World Champion' England doing in the World Rankings? You're confusing the England of 2 1/2 years ago with the England of today.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8498
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:38 pm
 


Both sports deserve their recognition as a hard-hitting sport. I'm usually the last person to come running to the defense of American football but I just this video on the Internet that I think you guys may enjoy.

NFL Painful Hits

I don't care how much padding they have on, some of these have got to hurt!


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20798
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:56 pm
 


bossdog wrote:
Both sports deserve their recognition as a hard-hitting sport. I'm usually the last person to come running to the defense of American football but I just this video on the Internet that I think you guys may enjoy.

NFL Painful Hits

I don't care how much padding they have on, some of these have got to hurt!


That was a great video. Did you see Hemsky get hammered by Vishnevski last night? OUCH!


Attachments:
File comment: That's gonna leave a mark!
hemsky.jpg
hemsky.jpg [ 51.43 KiB | Viewed 1462 times ]
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14087
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:05 pm
 


bossdog wrote:
I don't care how much padding they have on, some of these have got to hurt!


More padding means harder hitting... it's the theory of relativity. :wink:

Tackle football was one of my favourite "extra curricular" activities back at X. except when one guy had a seizure... we had to delay the game until the ambulance got there. :?


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3171
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:06 pm
 


Hester wrote:
Do you suffer some type of inferiority complex? I'm sure it's not with Canadians, it must be with the Americans. Are you not allowed on any American or British sites?



GreatBriton wrote:
Scotland did World Champs England a massive favour by pulling of a SHOCK victory against France, England's nearest challengers.


How's 'World Champion' England doing in the World Rankings? You're confusing the England of 2 1/2 years ago with the England of today.


England will be the World Champions until 2007, or at least until 2011 if we win the World Cup again in 2007.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1869
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:11 pm
 


GreatBriton wrote:
Hester wrote:
Do you suffer some type of inferiority complex? I'm sure it's not with Canadians, it must be with the Americans. Are you not allowed on any American or British sites?



GreatBriton wrote:
Scotland did World Champs England a massive favour by pulling of a SHOCK victory against France, England's nearest challengers.


How's 'World Champion' England doing in the World Rankings? You're confusing the England of 2 1/2 years ago with the England of today.


England will be the World Champions until 2007, or at least until 2011 if we win the World Cup again in 2007.


It's just a shame they dropped to number 3 as of the current world rankings. http://www.irb.com/WR/

Great game though I have to say today, but the Italians gave them a good fight in the first half :)


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3171
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:14 pm
 


England hard to work hard against the Italians but now have 2 wins out of 2 in the Six Nations. If Wales do England a favour by beating Scotland tomorrow, then England will be 2 points clear at the top of the table and will be the only team with any chance of winning the Grand Slam.





Italy 16-31 England



England recorded their first away win for two years - but they were given a major scare by RBS 6 Nations Championships hosts Italy at Stadio Flaminio.

Fly-half Charlie Hodgson kept the world champions on course for a potential Six Nations title success and Grand Slam triumph by calming England's nerves with a well-worked try 15 minutes into the second period.

Hodgson converted his own try and centre Mike Tindall's first-half effort, while he also landed a penalty, but England led only 7-6 at the break.

Wing Mark Cueto's 11th try in 13 Tests took England out of sight just after Lawrence Dallaglio arrived from the replacements' bench with 15 minutes left.

Two more Hodgson conversions meant he finished with 16 points after substitute James Simpson-Daniel claimed a late fourth touchdown.

England's three previous Six Nations trips to Rome had seen them average 51 points a time but Italy are made of sterner stuff these days under French coach Pierre Berbizier and they briefly enjoyed a 9-7 advantage through two drop-goals and a penalty from former Leicester fly-half Ramiro Pez.

Centre Mirco Bergamasco scored a consolation try with a minute left, converted by Pez, and not even the most ardent English fan could complain.

England performed impressively only in patches yet head coach Andy Robinson has now seen his team win six of their last seven Tests, and they will travel confidently to face Scotland at Murrayfield when the Six Nations resumes on February 25.

There were impressive contributions from Hodgson, Worsley and Tindall, who produced his best Test match display since the 2003 World Cup final, but England also find themselves with several areas to work on.

Their ball-retention was occasionally poor and they were repeatedly slow to react in broken play.

But if Wales beat Millennium Stadium visitors Scotland tomorrow, then England are the only side who could clinch a Six Nations Grand Slam this term, just a fortnight into the tournament.

Italy, meanwhile, can take great encouragement from their performance - albeit after a fourth successive Six Nations home defeat against England - and they will certainly relish tackling Scotland in Rome next month.


.................P.....W....D....L........F....A....Pts.....P/D
England.......2......2....0.....0.....78...29.....4.......49
France........2......1....0......1.....59....51....2........8
Scotland.....1.......1....0......0....20...16......2........4
Ireland.......2.......1....0......1....57...59.....2........-2
Italy..........2.......0....0......2....32....57.....0........-25
Wales........1........0...0......1....13....47....0........-34


Today's other score -

France 43 - 31 Ireland.

France are the most over-rated team in the tournament, and haven't played well in both their games. Being so arrogant, when they were beating the Irish 43 - 10 they though they could afford to take their foot off the gas and relax a bit - that made the Irish fight their way back into the game and France just scraped a victory in the end.

Tomorrow: Wales VS Scotland.

Come on Wales! Do it for England.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1869
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:18 pm
 


I hope Scotland kick ass tomorrow. We're going to the England Scotland match at Murrayfield next weekend and it should be a great match!

Scotland really is on the up and up though, they have improved so much. I just hope they can keep it going.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3171
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:48 am
 


Wales 28 - Scotland 18

Scotland didn't play too badly, but Wales capitalised on Scottish mistakes.


Anyone can still win the tournament but England, with the only 100% record, are the only ones who can win the Grand Slam.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
Profile
Posts: 6234
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:54 am
 


dimoreien wrote:
It's just a shame they dropped to number 3 as of the current world rankings. http://www.irb.com/WR/


They CLIMBED back to #3 after their win last week. They were #5.


Offline
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 3171
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:56 am
 


................P.......W.......D.....L......F.......A.......T.....Pts.........P/D
England.....2.......2........0.....0.....78......29.....10.....4...........49
France.......2.......1........0.....1.....59......51......8......2............8
Ireland......2.......1........0.....1.....57......59......6......2...........-2
Scotland....2.......1........0......1....38......44......4......2...........-6
Wales.......2.......1.........0.....1....41.......65......5.....2...........-24
Italy.........2........0........0.....2....32.......57......1.....0...........-25


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
Profile
Posts: 6234
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:05 am
 


There are certainly some good games still to come. Unfortunately, Italy is looking good to win the wooden spoon again. They're goal is to win one game this year? France, Scotland, and Wales still to come.
England still has some serious competition to come - you have to assume that the teams are gelling and getting better.

Does anyone know if any of this is on TV in Canada? FoxSportsWorld Canada or Sportsnet? Sportsnet used to carry a lot, but it has dropped to absolutely nothing in the last year.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1869
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:07 am
 


I think the Scott Murray red card is going to be the most talked about part of the match. My husband and I thought it was too harsh, but the ref is really good!

Considering they were a man short all match and their game plan had gone clear out the window when Scott left, I think they did good, especially with the last two tries in under a minute lol

GreatBriton, I just hope England don't get cocky enough that someone comes in and wipes the rug out from under them. ;)

Bring on the Calcutta Cup!


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1869
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:09 am
 


Hester wrote:
There are certainly some good games still to come. Unfortunately, Italy is looking good to win the wooden spoon again. They're goal is to win one game this year? France, Scotland, and Wales still to come.
England still has some serious competition to come - you have to assume that the teams are gelling and getting better.

Does anyone know if any of this is on TV in Canada? FoxSportsWorld Canada or Sportsnet? Sportsnet used to carry a lot, but it has dropped to absolutely nothing in the last year.


I have no idea Hester, if you get satellite, I know BBC is airing it, but I don't know if you can get it off any of the mainstream north american channels. You'll have to do some digging!


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  1  2  3  4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.