France?  0%  [ 0 ]
Scotland?  15%  [ 2 ]
Wales?  15%  [ 2 ]
Ireland?  54%  [ 7 ]
Italy?  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:02 pm

If he goes there then he'll be the perfect full back.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:28 pm

Part of me doesn't want to see him go, but he does want to be a coach eventually, and this will give him that experience!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Dean Ryan is an extraordinary coach. He is developing one of the most dynamic squads in European rugby right now and people are already tipping him for the England job some time in the future.

If Chris Patterson is going to learn anything about coaching, it will be from Dean Ryan.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:33 am

The Six Nations starts today.

First it's France VS Italy and then it's England VS Scotland.

Tomorrow is Wales VS Ireland.

Scotland haven't beaten England at Twickenham since 1983.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:54 am

Watchout, Scotland. Jonny Wilkinson is playing for England today for the first time since his Drop Goal in Extra Time of the 2003 Rugby Union World Cup Final against Australia won England the World Cup.

Also playing is Andy Farrell, who used to be a Rugby League player for Wigan Warriors and England but has now switched codes to Rugby Union. This week the Scotland coach admitted that Farrell is probably the best player in the world.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Wilko, fit for purpose
by PAUL SIMS

2nd February 2007

England's 2003 World Cup winning hero returns today against Scotland.

He is one of sport's most reluctant superstars.

But today - after 1,167 days, 11 injuries and a series of ill-fated comebacks - the spotlight will turn once again to Jonny Wilkinson.

England's Rugby World Cup hero has been forced to watch from the sidelines ever since his dramatic extra-time drop goal won the tournament in 2003.

Despite the MBE, the BBC sports personality award and reported £4 million annual earnings, his long absence from international duty has left him a tortured soul.

For such an obsessive competitor it has been a long and hard road.

Limited to a number of cameo appearances for his club, Newcastle Falcons, Wilkinson endured a nightmare of career-threatening injuries, including a fractured vertebrae, knee ligament damage, a torn thigh muscle and, more recently, a lacerated kidney.

Many were left asking if the fly-half, the country's record points scorer, would ever play again. The lowest point came in January 2005 when he smashed his knee during a European Cup tie in Perpignan.

He later admitted that he sat in the dressing room crying tears of frustration, fearing he may never play rugby again.

"I massively lost my way," he said.

His misery was compounded when he split up from his girlfriend, Diana Stewart, the former Marks & Spencer model.

England's greatest sporting moment since 1966: Jonny Wilkinson scores the Drop Goal in Extra Time of the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final against Australia that won England the World Cup

Their three-year romance began in 2001 as Miss Stewart, 27, studied for a Spanish and German degree at Newcastle University.

They shared a love of sport but Miss Stewart moved to London to attend theatre school soon after graduation while Wilkinson remained in Newcastle.

His devotion to rugby and her pursuit of a career with Sky Sports News saw them drift apart and in November 2004 they confirmed that they had split up.

Wilkinson refused to give up on his international career and threw himself into training, using the gym every day at the Northumberland farmhouse he shares with his brother.

Shunning fast food, chocolate and alcohol, he rediscovered his drive for perfection and control.

It was no different to his teenage years. When friends were out partying, Wilkinson was typically in the gym.

"I live to play rugby," he said recently.

"It has been my life since I was four. Watching was so hard when all I wanted to do was show people I was willing to put my body on the line every week." The reluctant sex symbol, who describes fame as "an empty concept", lives surrounded by those he trusts.

His mother Philippa and father Phil, who is his manager, live nearby and his brother Mark also plays for the Falcons.

Now, as he prepares to pull on his No 10 jersey for the 53rd time, his dream of picking up from where he left off with England has finally come true.

At 4pm in front of 80,000 at Twickenham, he will line up alongside his teammates to face Scotland in the opening game of their RBS Six Nations campaign.

Remarkably, considering the run of setbacks, he will do so with a bank balance buoyed by lucrative deals with Adidas, Lucozade, Northern Rock, M&S, Travelex, Boots, and fashion brand Hackett - as well as £250,000 earnings from his club.

English sport is holding out for a hero - so, will Jonny be good?

dailymail.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:08 am

I'd just thought I'd point out that if you want to get a decent stat attack on the teams or players, the official Six Nations website is pretty damn awesome with PDA team sheets with well researched facts and figures. Also for match ups they've researched relevant facts such as recent form, pack weight, etc

http://www.rbs6nations.com

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:13 am

Thanks for the post, I'm already using your information to slam my old Scot and Irish friends.

What's the scoop on Ireland anyway?

Oh... just got pinged by my old buddy on MSN.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:25 am

Ireland have been declared favorites to get a Six Nations grand slam, something that they haven't been labeled as for years. The last time they won the grand slam was with their legendary post ww2/emergency team back in the 1940s.

Nobody knows quite how the Irish (who have been very dominant in the Autumn internationals, beating Australia and South Africa) will handle this so all eyes are going to be on them facing Wales tomorrow in Cardiff.

Wales have selected a very brutal and physical pack so it might be a very tough contest for the Irish but I predict a narrow Irish win.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:42 am

Prestwick Prestwick:
Ireland have been declared favorites to get a Six Nations grand slam, something that they haven't been labeled as for years. The last time they won the grand slam was with their legendary post ww2/emergency team back in the 1940s.

Nobody knows quite how the Irish (who have been very dominant in the Autumn internationals, beating Australia and South Africa) will handle this so all eyes are going to be on them facing Wales tomorrow in Cardiff.

Wales have selected a very brutal and physical pack so it might be a very tough contest for the Irish but I predict a narrow Irish win.

Haven't you any dirt I can use to throw at my Irish buddy? Any scandalous mis-steps by the Irish club members, like wearing womwn's clothing?

Anything on the Scottish club?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:50 am

Oh well there is the little matter of former Ireland international Trevor Brennan belting the wrong Ulster supporter after random chants taking the piss out of the bar that he runs near where he plays now for Toulouse in France.

Also, Peter Stringer is a past it, over the hill, circus midget...but everyone knew that already ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:24 am

Before GB does another cut and paste:

Italy 3 - France 39

Italy squandered alot of chances in the first half and had lions share of the possession and territory but it was France who built a decent lead by the end of the half.

Come the 2nd half and France dominated, every Italian attack flopped at the last pass every time.

Sebastian Chabal man of the match for France and a superb display from France. How they handle Croke Park and Ireland however is a different matter.

Italy need to take a step back and have a serious think about how they play their game. They kept kicking away possession and couldn't compete that well at the line out at all. The French defence was rock solid as Italy at one point went through 17 phases without making even a meter.

Meanwhile at Twickenham, perfect weather for a good afternoons rugby as England and Scotland duke it out for the Calcutta Cup at 4pm GMT!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:57 am

ITALY 3-39 FRANCE
ENGLAND 42-20 SCOTLAND

What can I say? Jonny Wilkinson was simply FANTASTIC!! Hasn't played for England since the 2003 World Cup Final and puts in an absolute masterclass performance and tears the Scots to shreds.

If anyone here doubted that England will win this year's Six Nations Championship maybe those doubts will now disappear. If Wilkinson plays like that in the rest of England's games then surely they'll win the Six Nations.

With Wilkinson and Jason Robinson (who scored two tries and came back from retirement after 2 years) back England are playing like the World Champions that they are.
-----------------------------

The Standings

..................P...W...D...L...F......A...Pts.....PD
France.........1....1...0...0...39....3....2.......+36
England.......1....1...0...0...42....20...2.......+22
Ireland........0....0...0...0....0......0....0.......0
Wales..........0....0...0...0....0......0....0.......0
Scotland......1.....0...0...1....20....42...0.......-22
Italy............1....0....0...1....3.....39....0.......-36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:11 am

It was a very intense match but Wilkinson was incredible how he managed to pull off such an amazing performance.

Harry Ellis and Andy Farrell were also pretty damn good and Joe Worsley performed his duties with commitment.

Scotland worked hard and were no pushovers, I think they could beat France and Wales and Italy I think. whether England can beat Ireland at Croke Park is a different matter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:17 am

Oh yeah, I'd just like to award Italy:

For completely ruining any competitive advantage that they had in their game against France?

Last edited by Prestwick on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:46 am

There was a new record, too. Wilkinson scored 27 of England's 42 points which, believe it or not, is the most points ever scored by one man in an England/Scotland game. His record beats England's Rob Andrews record.

Wilkinson makes his presence felt when he calmly slots home a penalty to open the scoring and put England ahead

There was a bit of a worry when blood started pouring from a gash in Wilkinson's face. England fans were thinking: "Oh no. He's not got another serious injury again, has he?" But it was minor and he went on to tear the Scots aparts like lambs in a lions' cage.

Early in the game Scotland took a surpise lead, scoring this try to go 8-6 ahead.

But Scotland kept making too many mistakes and gifting England penalties, which were duly slotted away by Wilkinson

Jason Robinson smiles as he scores the first of his two tries

His second try coming when Sean Lamont fumbled the ball leaving Robinson to pounce on it.

Wilkinson, probably getting bored of just kicking goals, then decided that he would score a try, too.