CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Do you think is possible?
Yes  15%  [ 2 ]
No  85%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 13

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 17100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:47 pm
 


Quote:
If soccer isn't popular, how come there were more than 1'8 million spectators in total for the U-20 tournament?


Jsut because there were a tonne of people, doesn't mean they all came from Canada. I don't know if you were paying close attention, but soccer fans from all over the world came, making it more than popular.

If you had restricted it solely to Canadians, you would ahve seen a very noticeable difference in attendance.

Quote:
How many immigrants has Canada and how many of them wait to see their hockey game?


You'd be surprised. If the immigrants themselves aren't hooked, more often than not their children are. This explains why a good number of my hockey friends are Korean, Chinese, Indian and Black.


Offline
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 2930
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:41 pm
 


No.

I'm a huge fan, but there's snow on the ground six months of the year in many parts of Canada.

Nothing will ever replace hockey.


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 939
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:47 pm
 


Flechas wrote:
.

Any thoughts?

Thanks


I think the increase in popularity in soccer is indicative of the increase in immigration of our country. Everyone else in the world plays soccer and seems to love it. Then they move to Canada.

I also think it represents the urbanization of Canada. It's an easy sport to play anywhere. You just need some guys and a ball. This is unlike most other sports that require lots of room (football, baseball) or specialized equipment or places to play (basketball, hockey, golf, NASCAR). Soccer is cheap and easy.

As far as its popularity, Lily is correct that it is the highest enrolled sport amongst young'uns. However, the fact is, this hasn't translated to insane popularity beyond that. Soccer has been the "up and coming sport" for 20 years. So where are all the soccer players who loved it 15 years ago? I read a theory on this somewhere. In it the author argued that soccer is popular amongst kids because it is "easy". That's not to say that the game doesn't require a high level of skill, but that for most people the fundamentals of soccer (running and kicking) are easy. So, when your suburban yuppie parents are forcing you to choose a sport, you pick soccer because it's the easiest sport for you to look the least stupid in. There is a huge emphasis on "team", and unless you stand still on the field it's hard to look bad. Other sports, like baseball, single you and your lack of abilities out.

Essentially then, the author says that soccer has a high enrollment because that's where the kids who are "forced" to play a sport go. Once they get to the age where they no longer have to conform (high school) they drop soccer like a bad habit.

Something to think about, maybe.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 10906
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:56 pm
 


Flechas wrote:
How many immigrants has Canada and how many of them wait to see their hockey game?


Too many for starters and they should be deported if they don't like hockey.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:23 pm
 


lily wrote:
I can't find the exact numbers, but I remember reading recently that more kids play soccecr than hockey, baseball or any other sport. In my area it's a winter sport - Sept-March - and it competes head on with hockey.

At the professional level, hockey is probably #1 and will remain so for the foreseeable future.


yes, I've read that too. And it makes sense. All you need is a ball, a field, and a couple of buddies. I play soccer, but even I admit it's boring as hell to watch. I love watching hockey and boxing.


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Ottawa Senators
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 622
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:02 pm
 


Hockey is too Canadian to be replaced by soccer. Soccer might become #2 but thats as popular as it will get. I think a lot of it has to do with our identity. Canada is a cold country so its easier for us to associate with a winter sport like hockey. Theres also the fact that hockey was invented in Canada.


Offline
Newbie
Newbie
Profile
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:20 am
 


Schleihauf wrote:
Hockey is too Canadian to be replaced by soccer. Soccer might become #2 but thats as popular as it will get. I think a lot of it has to do with our identity. Canada is a cold country so its easier for us to associate with a winter sport like hockey. Theres also the fact that hockey was invented in Canada.


Your point about hockey being invented by Canada is interesting. I didn't know about that before, but doing some research, is true, aparently the ice hockey was invented by a Canadien called Pierre lapin.

I still believe that although is true that hockey will always be part of Canada, if the media and big corporations realized that soccer could be a great business for them, they will start investing in new stadiums, talking about soccer on the radio, news paper, tv and then it could maybe that soccer get to the same level of hockey in term of fans

Maybe I should start thinking about why people like hockey?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 51388
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:06 pm
 


hwacker wrote:
Flechas wrote:
How many immigrants has Canada and how many of them wait to see their hockey game?


Too many for starters and they should be deported if they don't like hockey.



[cheer] YAY, I can stay!

I like hockey and I hate sucker, eerrrrrrr, soccer :lol:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 12346
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:34 pm
 


Flechas wrote:
Schleihauf wrote:
Hockey is too Canadian to be replaced by soccer. Soccer might become #2 but thats as popular as it will get. I think a lot of it has to do with our identity. Canada is a cold country so its easier for us to associate with a winter sport like hockey. Theres also the fact that hockey was invented in Canada.


Your point about hockey being invented by Canada is interesting. I didn't know about that before, but doing some research, is true, aparently the ice hockey was invented by a Canadien called Pierre lapin.


Peter Rabbit did not invent hockey. :lol:


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
Profile
Posts: 6651
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:37 pm
 


As a summer sport? Absofuckignlutely. But it will never tp hockey... which I must say I am not sorry to say.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 11147
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:53 pm
 


The popularity base that investors in such huge infrastructure projects need to make it financially feasible possible just isn't there. Building a stadium isn't a guarentee of popularity. A bunch of money spent by "Some Big Company Ltd" isn't even a consideration on whether or not I'll like a sport.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Previous  1  2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.