canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 am

Germany begin World Cup defence under cloud of controversy after Ilkay Gundogan and Mesut Ozil's meeting with Turkey's president... fans are set to boo the midfielders against Mexico

Mesut Ozil and Ilkay Gundogan controversially met with the Turkey president
The meeting caused controversy and Germany fans have booed the pair since
Germany begin their World Cup defence on Sunday when they take on Mexico
The controversy has cast a shadow over their preparations for the tournament

Quote:
When Germany begin their World Cup title defence against Mexico on Sunday, two of their most prominent players may feel like public enemies rather than potential national heroes.

Mesut Ozil and Ilkay Gundogan go into the game with a political row hanging over their heads, triggered by photographs of the pair with Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Erdogan is a man deemed to have a disregard for human rights, having jailed journalists for being critical of him and persecuted politicians who dare disagree with his policies.

Quote:
So the sight of Germany's five-time player of the year Ozil alongside Erdogan last month, posing in a plush London hotel, did not go down well. Nor did Manchester City's Gundogan writing on a signed shirt: 'To my president, with my respects.'

The Germany internationals, both of Turkish descent, subsequently got it from all angles. Fans have booed them, former players say they should be banished, politicians weighed in and their own football federation gave them a telling off.

'It is what it is,' said boss Joachim Low, warning that whistles will likely follow their every touch on Sunday evening in Moscow. 'So be it.'

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Iran were very lucky to beat Morocco who scored an own goal at the very end of the match, Golovin played a blinder for Russia against KSA and all superlatives are unworthy of Ronaldo's historic performance against Spain.

Anyway, in a cowardly move, Nike has just taken the Iranian team's boots (not shoes, guys) off them:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/glo ... ab1b00f89e

Sanctions are supposed to be against the Iranian government. This action gives the lie to that claim.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:15 pm

A full slate of games today with some surprises and non-surprises.

France and Croatia, as expected won their respective games against Australia and Nigeria.

Iceland did that thing they do so well and humbled Messi and Argentina.

And VAR made its debut today too in two separate matches. IMO, it's a sea change from how its used in the MLS where its a tool that's wasted on the useless refs in that league. But in the WC, the refs are of higher quality who have backup watching the game in realtime as well so it's a lot more obtrusive.

And frankly, I like it. I remember people saying it would disrupt the game and such, but so far, the reviews take up about the same amount of time as the usual scrum after a contentious call/non-call.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Nigeria were disappointing while Croatia will be a problem for anybody with their height, toughness and skill.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:09 pm

True. A definite dark horse of a team. Same with Denmark imo.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:32 pm

I am rooting for Canada and Iran

[B-o]

Hope we Pakistanis also kick more balls by legs rather than just hitting it by a cricket bat.

Hundreds of others sports are there but Pakistanis can only play/give attention to CRICKET

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 pm

xerxes wrote:
True. A definite dark horse of a team. Same with Denmark imo.

Christian Eriksen is an excellent player. He set up the goal against Peru.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Fighter wrote:

[B-o]

Hope we Pakistanis also kick more balls by legs rather than just hitting it by a cricket bat.

Hundreds of others sports are there but Pakistanis can only play/give attention to CRICKET

Canada has not made it to the 2018 World Cup.....

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 am

Hyack wrote:
Fighter wrote:

[B-o]

Canada has not made it to the 2018 World Cup.....

WTF

:lol:

Welcome to club

[B-o]

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 am

Fighter wrote:

Which World cup are you watching?

I'd love to root for my own country, but Canada hasn't made it into the World Cup since 1982.

R=EM

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:33 am

I was going to say that Pakistan doesn't even have a hockey team... but I'm officially surprised! 8O

Pakistan wins ice hockey international tournament in Singapore

https://timesofislamabad.com/14-Mar-201 ... -singapore

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:55 am

And Mexico have the biggest upset of the tourney so far with an impressive performance against WC holders Germany.

I was really surprised to see such a lackluster German team. The midfield had no cohesion, the strikers could barely hit the net to save their lives, and the legendary German defence was cut open time and time again by the ferocious Mexican counterattack.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:02 am

xerxes wrote:
And Mexico have the biggest upset of the tourney so far with an impressive performance against WC holders Germany.

I was really surprised to see such a lackluster German team. The midfield had no cohesion, the strikers could barely hit the net to save their lives, and the legendary German defence was cut open time and time again by the ferocious Mexican counterattack.

Were you watching the same game as the rest of us? Mexico had some great chances, and that goal was more because of Neuer's lapse than anything else. Germany had the ball for the majority of the game and kept the ball close to Mexico's net. Bad officiating combined with the Mexicans diving more than a fleet of submarines are what did Germany in.

Anyone could see from after 15 minutes in that the game was rigged against Germany. The referee and his squad were incompetent to say the least. But.....that's par for the course for FIFA.

It's too bad that lacklustre reffing ruins what could have been an amazing game.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:18 pm

I’m pretty sure I did. Germany had the lions share of possession but were wasteful with it as was Mexico when they had a scoring chance.

Germany did not play like the champions they are or are expected to be again. Mexico played their asses off and that made the difference.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Players on the top teams take a while to recover from their club seasons. International football doesn’t have quite the same status it used to have compared to the club game. In addition, the Brazilians and Argentinians nearly all play abroad and need time to gel.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 8  Next