canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 am

Ford unveils electric version of F-150 pickup truck — and it can power your house for 3 days

$1:
The truck is a major departure for the company, as it attempts to maintain its popularity among those who need and want a large working vehicle but also appeal to new buyers.

The truck can serve as a de facto backup generator, generating 9.6 kilowatts of power from up to 11 power outlets throughout the vehicle.

While other electric and gasoline-powered vehicles have the capacity to act as electrical generators, Ford seems to have fully embraced the concept.

Ford claims a fully charged battery has enough juice to power a standard home for several days. "It's your own personal power plant, automatically powering your house for three days during an outage," Ford's chief engineer, Linda Zhang, said at the event on Wednesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ford-e ... -1.6033607

I'm not a truck gut, but that built in generator could really useful during power outages and disasters.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:51 am

I wouldn't buy it just for the power pack feature.

I might not buy it, depending on how easy it looks to repair. What pisses me off about my current F-150 is they made all the parts that wear out in the cabin to be as inaccessible as possible. Buy the part for $20, spend $1700 on labour to install it. :roll:

The Cybertuck might be the better choice in that respect.

Plus, my last F-150 Lightning kept popping spark plugs out of the head because they didn't go deep enough to prevent the threads from ripping out under the supercharger pressure.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:16 pm

I'm more interested in the rumored Maverick.

Fuck these gigantic trucks and idiots who can't drive them. Bring back the old pickups.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:33 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Bring back the old pickups.

One on my bucket list is still a late 60's Mercury M-100. :)

And the 'small' trucks are the same size as my 11 year old F-150. 8O I parked beside a Ford Ranger the other day, and the difference is only inches.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:43 pm

Not a truck guy either, but I think could be a real game changer. It doesn't look retarded like the Cybertruck. Has solid range and is a lot cheaper than it's gas powered counterpart even before the tax credits.

This is Ford throwing down the gauntlet in a big way.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:32 pm

I wonder how much the charging costs differ across Canada?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Ford logic: Appeal to new and younger customers, and alienate just about everyone else.

Oh yeah, that's a solid business model.

:roll:

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:19 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Ford logic: Appeal to new and younger customers, and alienate just about everyone else.

Oh yeah, that's a solid business model.

:roll:

-J.

The boomers aren’t going to be around forever. You can stay in the past and die, or innovate and more forward.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:24 pm

Gonna be awesome, once Ford gets past the first generation of them that will certainly have an annoying tendency to simultaneously combust while charging. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:08 pm

HTG pickups are for hauling loads, trailers, boats, etc. which isn't exactly compatible with "EV range anxiety".
FFS make little pickups again like my old D-50, haul a bit of lumber or shit to the dump and get you from A-B. Gas is fibe, save the EV bit to haul people on a daily basis.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:53 pm

xerxes xerxes:
The boomers aren’t going to be around forever. You can stay in the past and die, or innovate and more forward.

I'm not a boomer. Generation X here, and proud of it. I won't touch an electric vehicle, nor do they interest me whatsoever. I.C.E. forever!

The future isn't all cracked up to what it's supposed to be. If I had known 20 years ago the state the world would be in at this time, I would have fled to an uninhabited island. The past was much better, much more fun. The world was also in much better shape, and so was society.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:27 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
The past was much better, much more fun. The world was also in much better shape, and so was society.

-J.

Yes, Polio, Consumption, World Wars, slavery, acid rain. Good times!

Now get off my lawn!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:49 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:

And the 'small' trucks are the same size as my 11 year old F-150. 8O I parked beside a Ford Ranger the other day, and the difference is only inches.

I'm talking like Nissan hard body, Ford Ranger from the 90s, etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:51 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
xerxes xerxes:

I'm not a boomer. Generation X here, and proud of it. I won't touch an electric vehicle, nor do they interest me whatsoever. I.C.E. forever!

The future isn't all cracked up to what it's supposed to be. If I had known 20 years ago the state the world would be in at this time, I would have fled to an uninhabited island. The past was much better, much more fun. The world was also in much better shape, and so was society.

-J.

Literally the dumbest take I've ever seen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:08 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:

I'm talking like Nissan hard body, Ford Ranger from the 90s, etc.

My buddy has an early 90's R32 Skyline, and a bubble gum pink Nissan 300Z. ;)

He picked them up on a trip to Japan.