canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

andyt andyt:

I doubt it. Not my experience with small towns. Maybe right around the one traffic light and all. And speed limits are irrelevant. I doubt ZENN's would be a very practical car for small towns, especially ones where it snows. More suitable for say downtown Vancouver where it's hard to do 50 because it's mostly so jammed up.

ROTFL My town is so small, we don't have traffic lights :lol:

OMG, I just googled ZENN... We call them "brommobielen" in The Netherlands, and they are not allowed on the streets, only on bike-paths. Just like mopeds. They are equivalent to mopeds, only have 4 wheels, but don't go any faster, and you do not need a drivers license, only a moped license.
Please NEVER allow those shitty things on the streets. Way too dangerous.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Brenda Brenda:
andyt andyt:

I doubt it. Not my experience with small towns. Maybe right around the one traffic light and all. And speed limits are irrelevant. I doubt ZENN's would be a very practical car for small towns, especially ones where it snows. More suitable for say downtown Vancouver where it's hard to do 50 because it's mostly so jammed up.

OMG, I just googled ZENN... We call them "brommobielen" in The Netherlands, and they are not allowed on the streets, only on bike-paths. Just like mopeds. They are equivalent to mopeds, only have 4 wheels, but don't go any faster, and you do not need a drivers license, only a moped license.

OMG, please don't allow those on the bike paths. The electric scooters are scary enough - they make less noise than a bike and are pretty quick. Our bike paths in Vancouver are barely wide enough for one bike to ride safely, having one of those coming up behind me would be very scary. Sorry, it's two wheels or no bike path for you.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:45 pm

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:
andyt andyt:

OMG, please don't allow those on the bike paths. The electric scooters are scary enough - they make less noise than a bike and are pretty quick. Our bike paths in Vancouver are barely wide enough for one bike to ride safely, having one of those coming up behind me would be very scary. Sorry, it's two wheels or no bike path for you.

You can't have that shit on the streets either. So just don't allow them. the infra structure for bicycles and these kind of things is just not there.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 pm

andyt andyt:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
ZENN. And why not? The ZENN is not capable of speeds over 50km/h, which lends themselves well to being in town grocery getters.

Lots of pretty severe accidents happen in town. And nobody does 50 anyway. I've tried it and man do people get irate. So we'd be seeing a lot of ZENN drivers crushed like sardines as cars weighing many times more smash into them. I mean we could say that's their problem, but then why have safety standards for any car in the first place? And if mommy wants to take the baby shopping in her ZENN, does she still have to strap him in a car seat? Isn't that a bit pointless when the car doesn't offer any protection.

Personally I'd be willing to say let's allow electric cars. But I'm certainly willing to defer to the safety experts on this one if it makes sense.

Interesting prognostication; similar to what people said about the Smart Car from Mercedes. But the statistics show a different reality. The Smart has a great safety record, and it's much safer than alternatives.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 pm

$1:
how to bring an electric car from USA to Canada

Tow it behind a Hummer 2 :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
$1:
how to bring an electric car from USA to Canada

Tow it behind a Hummer 2 :lol:

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:21 pm

I sometimes wonder why we don't allow quads on city roads. They'd be good on gas and certainly are no less safe than a motorcycle.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
I sometimes wonder why we don't allow quads on city roads. They'd be good on gas and certainly are no less safe than a motorcycle.

I agree. Heck, I've even lived places that allowed snowmobiles on the road during winter as long as they were plated.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Gunnair Gunnair:

I agree. Heck, I've even lived places that allowed snowmobiles on the road during winter as long as they were plated.

I've seen articles on this, where they have convert quads for road use in Italy. I really liked the Yamaha 250cc 2stroke conversion, it could do 80 mph.

The key thing to the conversion is they drop the suspension and replace the tires with a more road worthy version.

An off road version is not suitable for road use, they are top heavy and likely to roll over if driven agressively around corners.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:04 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:
get yourself a small truck like a ford ranger, lots of batteries and a dc motor. it isnt that hard to make a vehicle that transport canada will allow on the roads.

Whats the rules on bumpers? I see a lot of rednecks driving fords from the 80s with bumpers made from 250 pound steal tubes that offer no compression in case of accident, and others with no bumper at all (my brothers truck). What if I wanted to put a bit more tasteful bumper and grill on the front of mine that can withstand a moose strike at 120+ kph? legal or not?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Brenda Brenda:
andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

You can't have that shit on the streets either. So just don't allow them. the infra structure for bicycles and these kind of things is just not there.

"So what killed the electric car?"
"Mitre-wide bike lanes."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:29 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:
There's a list of vehicles younger than 15 which can be imported (can be found here). Cars not on the list must be older than 15 years.

The problem is not necessarily that the car doesn't meet Canadian safety standards, just that they perhaps haven't had it tested here and thus we can't know if it meets them or not.

There's something of a push to have the 15 extended to 20 because of the flood of JDM sports cars coming in. I can't say I wouldn't support it - you put an immature ricer behind the wheel on the wrong side of the car and bad things are going to happen sooner or later.

Yeah, I own a Kei truck and hear this line all the time. I understand they've conned Quebec into a temporary ban on RHD vehicles.
Immature driver is the problem, not the car.
If you think it makes a difference what side you sit on, you aren't a very good driver.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:35 am

herbie herbie:
hurley_108 hurley_108:
There's a list of vehicles younger than 15 which can be imported (can be found here). Cars not on the list must be older than 15 years.

The problem is not necessarily that the car doesn't meet Canadian safety standards, just that they perhaps haven't had it tested here and thus we can't know if it meets them or not.

There's something of a push to have the 15 extended to 20 because of the flood of JDM sports cars coming in. I can't say I wouldn't support it - you put an immature ricer behind the wheel on the wrong side of the car and bad things are going to happen sooner or later.

Yeah, I own a Kei truck and hear this line all the time. I understand they've conned Quebec into a temporary ban on RHD vehicles.
Immature driver is the problem, not the car.
If you think it makes a difference what side you sit on, you aren't a very good driver.

Having driven vehicles with steering on left, in middle, and on right, by far the worst place to be was on the middle. Being on left or right you really only had to worry about where the far side of the vehicle is in relation to the road, you naturally lined up your side. Being in the middle, you had to worry about both.

Being on the right hand side on right-side roadways, you naturally avoid crossing the white line, but instead you are more likely to cross the yellow line without thinking about it while going around corners, just as drivers of left hand vehicles cut across the white line more than the left taking corners. It's not because of oncoming traffic, it's merely because you lose focus of where the far side is. As long as your side is between the lines, you think you are safe. So having a lack of driving experience and hoping into a right hand vehicle can be detrimental... But not as much for someone who's driven for 20-30 years, or who drives for a living.

Further, when trying to pass on a two lane road, how is a right hand driver supposed to easily see who is ahead of him on the road to see if it is safe to pass?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:20 am

Further, when trying to pass on a two lane road, how is a right hand driver supposed to easily see who is ahead of him on the road to see if it is safe to pass?

A) If you're even thinking of pulling into the other lane to see, give yourself 3 points for following too close or 6 for dangerous driving, you choose.

FALL BACK until you can SEE around the vehicle in front. If that means you're too far back to pass, then you can't, TFB.
Wait for a passing lane, even if you KNOW the fucker's gonna speed up to 140 in the right lane.

Now if you DO have like a Skyline, you could just fall back a little, gun it to 180 and pass the shithead wherever you please.
If you drive a Kei truck, you must savor the few times you ever pass someone. Like the sunny summer day I passed an F350 on Hwy16. Our windows are open and the guy glowers at me as i catch up, so I yelled (we're like side by side 4 feet apart) "What are you snarling about? I'd fucking die of shame if something with 43 HP passed me on the highway!" :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:32 am

A) I dunno about you, but unless I'm driving a pickup truck or large Van, I can't see more than a couple hundred meters down the road even when I'm 100 meters behind the vehicle in front on me, and thats driving on the left hand side.

How old was the F-350? Wasn't until the superduty's came about that the things had the oomph to go up to and over 100mph/160kph. :lol: