canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:00 am

stemmer stemmer:
Red Loctite but if I ever have to remove it I'll need a torch? How about Blue?

Yeah the Red 271 is probably too much for that size but good for Head and Main Cap bolts. For that I guess the Blue 272 is what is best.
Years ago I think Loctite had different strengths of Blue and Red as well. I'll have to dig around my garage for an old bottle.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:11 am

stemmer stemmer:
I had the engine out of the car in 1984 and the three bolts were attached then...

LOL

Yea, like my Uncle who changes the oil in his engine once a year, whether it needs it or not. And does a yearly car wash at the same time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:30 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
stemmer stemmer:
I know it looks like rust but it's more like grime, caked grease and overspray from small block Chevy orange paint then rust... it was more like metal fatigue it succumbed to...

Looks like a lot of rust, not just grime and grease.

$1:
Looking closely at the pulley, I believe somewhere along the way one of the bolts had fallen off, leaving only two... I can see bare metal where two bolts were but the third is caked in some grime... Not sure when it fell off...

I had the engine out of the car in 1984 and the three bolts were attached then...

As the owner of several older vehicles, mainly late 60's, I have to question how often do you inspect your 50 year old car? Are you honestly saying you haven't touched anything in the engine compartment since 1984? 8O

Sorry Stemmer, but you deserved this through your own neglect.

Well I do fell somewhat responsible... I do most of the repairs myself... I installed a new wiring harness (underdash, tail lights, head lights, engine, fuse box) about 2 years ago, about 5 years ago converted drum brakes to discs on the front, installed a new Edelbrock manifold & carb 7 years ago... Replaced points and condenser distributor with MSD HEI thereby getting rid of ballast resistor last year, bought new BFG TAs and American Racing Torque Thrusts 4 years ago, purchased a new fuel pump with a Mr Gasket fuel pump via Summit Racing a few years back.... Changed the oil every spring & fall...

The pulley wasn't rusted... And a few others on the Corvetteforum have had this problem...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:37 pm

This member had to replace his timing chain and found these stress creaks (marked in yellow) when he pulled his cank pulley...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I've already posted this earlier in the thread...

[quote[

Here's a photo and a video of a fellow Corvette forum member who had the same problem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP7VfwoyyXo

[/quote]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:20 pm

If they're that prone to cracking then you should seriously consider Bart's suggestion and go billet.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 pm

I've already ordered a replacement from Corvette Central... It was pricey at $89 USA...

How much for a billet one (approx)... Also perhaps any small block Chevy (with a short neck water pump) crank pulley would work... Chevys prior to 1968 mostly used the short neck water pumps, 1968 on used the long nect wps...

Maybe it's time for a crate motor... Ramjet or ZZ4? :D :D :D

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Are these workable? They seem to be more reasonable priced too.

RJays

Jegs Moroso

Being that it's a Chevy, I think that so long as it's for a short neck and has the required number of grooves you should be alright. I'm not aware of any SBC's being real picky about pulleys beyond the water pump neck issue.

Have you considered swapping out all the pulleys to use the wide serpentine belt? I did on the Impala, only retaining (for now) the old v-belt pulley for the power steering pump. Once I do the remote resevoir pump style swap I'll add a tensioner and go to a complete serpentine setup.

(Dream BIG! 572 or if you have to stay with the mouse maybe a 383 stroker?)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 am

SprCForr SprCForr:
Are these workable? They seem to be more reasonable priced too.

RJays

Jegs Moroso

Being that it's a Chevy, I think that so long as it's for a short neck and has the required number of grooves you should be alright. I'm not aware of any SBC's being real picky about pulleys beyond the water pump neck issue.

Have you considered swapping out all the pulleys to use the wide serpentine belt? I did on the Impala, only retaining (for now) the old v-belt pulley for the power steering pump. Once I do the remote resevoir pump style swap I'll add a tensioner and go to a complete serpentine setup.

(Dream BIG! 572 or if you have to stay with the mouse maybe a 383 stroker?)

stop it.. yer gettin me excited.... ;)

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:32 am

stemmer stemmer:
I've already ordered a replacement from Corvette Central... It was pricey at $89 USA...

How much for a billet one (approx)... Also perhaps any small block Chevy (with a short neck water pump) crank pulley would work... Chevys prior to 1968 mostly used the short neck water pumps, 1968 on used the long nect wps...

Maybe it's time for a crate motor... Ramjet or ZZ4? :D :D :D

I guarantee that all (short neck styled) Chevy pulleys will work. That's the thing about Chevrolet back then.....nearly all parts are interchangeable. I had a 3 speed Vega transmission in my Nova while my Muncie was being rebuilt and had no problems with it bolting straight up and working.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 am

SprCForr SprCForr:
If they're that prone to cracking then you should seriously consider Bart's suggestion and go billet.

Oh, and here's the kit to go for... [drool]

http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.a ... 802&rdir=1

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:08 pm

stemmer stemmer:
I was returning home from a car show and about 2 to 4 miles from home when I heard a loud bang from under the hood... I thought the motor mounts had let go but noticed my car wasn't charging... Great I thought I threw a fan belt...

I was only 5 to less then 10 minutes from home and the Bedford highway was too busy to pull over...

By the time I got about 1/4 mile from my home the car started to steam under the hood... The temp gauge was at 250...

When I got home I opned the hood and found this resting near a ram horn....

My fan belt was intact and laying on the breather.... Anyone have the crank pulley disintergrate like this?

A new pulley is on order from Corvette Central...

I posted a similar thread to this one in the Corvette Forum and two other owners of 60's era Vettes have had similar experiences....

I've heard that whenever you overheat an engine, its a good idea to repleace the thrmostat. To me, I think its a good idea to replace the thermostat if your water pump goes, but you might want to check iof this applies to your situation too,

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Good thinking!

No reason why not considering they're less than twenty bucks.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for the many replies.. I'll pickup a water thermostat...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Post pictures of small block sweetness...

[drool]