CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 am

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/biz ... 04768.html

$1:
Feb. 1, 2008, 4:40AM
Man on verge of putting millionth mile on his 1991 truck

Associated Press

MEDFORD, Wis.— Frank Oresnik is on the verge of making history driving his old standby — the pickup truck he says is about to pass the 1 million mile mark.

Oresnik took the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado to the Oil Ex-Change Quick Lube in Medford on Thursday for what he expects will be its last oil change and tuneup before hitting the magic number.

He said the truck is 1,200 miles from a million, and once he hits the mark he will retire the vehicle.

"I feel almost like the longtime NFL player as he goes into his last training camp knowing this is the end," Oresnik said.

He credits proper maintenance and a good measure of luck for allowing the truck to rack up so many miles. He said he's had more than 300 oil changes and tuneups at the Medford business, going in every 3,000 miles.

The truck has had four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps, but the engine has never been overhauled, Oresnik said.

He bought the Silverado in June 1996 after the original owner put 41,000 miles on it. Oresnik uses the vehicle to deliver seafood in three states, putting on about 85,000 miles a year.

I wonder how many one million mile Toyotas are around... :)

The small block Chevy and American V8's in general are some of the toughest and most reliable engines ever made...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:07 am

there is a car company and i dont remember which one that will give you a new car if you are the orignal owner of a car that puts a million km or miles on it.

I remember seeing it on the news that some old dude had a care like that and they gave him a new one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:09 am

newfette newfette:
there is a car company and i dont remember which one that will give you a new car if you are the orignal owner of a car that puts a million km or miles on it.

I remember seeing it on the news that some old dude had a care like that and they gave him a new one
Al Bundy and his Dodge.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 am

no it was a real person

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:24 am

newfette newfette:

It was a Volvo P1800. The guy's name was Irv Gordon.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Philidelphia Flyers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:25 am

THAT"S IT!!

thanks

:D

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:47 am

Old Chevy's never die...........they just go faster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 am

stemmer stemmer:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/5504768.html

$1:
Feb. 1, 2008, 4:40AM
Man on verge of putting millionth mile on his 1991 truck

Associated Press

MEDFORD, Wis.— Frank Oresnik is on the verge of making history driving his old standby — the pickup truck he says is about to pass the 1 million mile mark.

Oresnik took the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado to the Oil Ex-Change Quick Lube in Medford on Thursday for what he expects will be its last oil change and tuneup before hitting the magic number.

He said the truck is 1,200 miles from a million, and once he hits the mark he will retire the vehicle.

"I feel almost like the longtime NFL player as he goes into his last training camp knowing this is the end," Oresnik said.

He credits proper maintenance and a good measure of luck for allowing the truck to rack up so many miles. He said he's had more than 300 oil changes and tuneups at the Medford business, going in every 3,000 miles.

The truck has had four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps, but the engine has never been overhauled, Oresnik said.

He bought the Silverado in June 1996 after the original owner put 41,000 miles on it. Oresnik uses the vehicle to deliver seafood in three states, putting on about 85,000 miles a year.

I wonder how many one million mile Toyotas are around... :)

The small block Chevy and American V8's in general are some of the toughest and most reliable engines ever made...

"ABOUT TO...." I bettcha it seized up before the finish line....or it probably rusted apart !

Look and you shall find :lol: This proves you never look for old Toyotas!

http://www.racetoretirement.org/

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/car/578664130.html :wink:

The Race To Retirement was originally a chronicle of a race between Kenn Mann and his '91 Toyota pick-up. The end goal was to reach a million miles at which time Mann and the truck were to retire. Both finished the race in August of 2006. The Toyota has been enjoying an easy retirement logging only 5300 miles in the last 1 1/2 years instead of the usual 6000 to 7000 per month during the million mile saga. Mann however wasn't so fortunate and has logged 116,000 miles in the new Toyota truck in the same time, working as hard as ever.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:42 pm

That's awesome that Toyota pickup made it to a million miles... But let's face it the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean and a zillion country stars never sang or wrote songs about Toyotas.... :-)

Now it's time to crank up Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" album...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:10 pm

stemmer stemmer:
That's awesome that Toyota pickup made it to a million miles... But let's face it the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean and a zillion country stars never sang or wrote songs about Toyotas.... :-)

Now it's time to crank up Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" album...

So did that guy's GM even make it?....or is it sitting in the bone yard with 998800 on the odometer :lol:

still waiting to read the 1000000 million GM story :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:34 am

It's a Chevy. I have no doubts he made it.... :-)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 am

Yea, he made it. Wonder if a Chevy would stand up to this abuse, though:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUKptyKdMM[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:08 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Yea, he made it. Wonder if a Chevy would stand up to this abuse, though:

[youtube width=400 heigh

t=350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUKptyKdMM[/youtube]

Ha ha ha............ :lol: chevy the heartbeat of America....Toyota the heartbeat of the rest of the world all 6 .5 billion :lol:

That bashed up Toyota probably has a higher trade in value than an 05 Chevy half ton :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:48 am

But the big problem is, you have to drive a Toyota for a million miles. And all your friends will see you in it too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:21 pm

My 1990 Chev 2500 almost shows 300,000 kms. It is still doing OK, but I can't imagine the thing holding together for a million MILES! 8O

It would be one shakey ride by then!