Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 pm

So much for Toyota "quality"....

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news ... index.html

$1:
I own a 2000 Toyota Tundra and was driving north on Interstate 95 in Maine. Wihtout warning, the back end of the truck suddenly bounced up off the pavement while travelling at 65 mph. When I regained control of the vehicle, I looked into the rear view mirror to see a tire bouncing erratically across several lanes of northbound traffic. Cars were braking and swerving to avoid collision with the tire and fortunately it came to a rest against the median guardrail without crossing into southbound lanes and without damage to vehicles or injury to drivers. I immediately pulled into the emergency breakdown lane and inspected the truck to find that the spare tire was missing and a large corroded hole existed in the frame from which the tire had been mounted. I retrieved the tire and placed it in the bed. The following Monday I took the truck to the Toyota dealer where it was purchased to received an evaluation from a mechanic of what went wrong and if it can be repaired. The conclusion is that it is not inspectable and probably not repairable. My truck is now worthless. Toyota was contacted and said that that my truck was out of warrantee and there was nothing they would do to help. Geez. One day I can get the blue book value and the next day it's worth zero? What's up with that Toyota?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Looks like the Tundra is having rust problems as well but not as severe...

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/ ... -nut-rust/

It appears Toyota has been having rust problems with their trucks for quite some time...

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/P ... t/Rust.htm

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:53 pm

More on the Toyota truck rust problems....

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19 ... etail.html

$1:

BOSTON -- Toyota is hearing from truck owners about frames so badly rusted they can't be repaired nor replaced.

It's a problem Team 5 Investigates first uncovered last year with Tacomas. And now it appears to involve larger model Tundras as well.

"The frame is cracked," said Tim Gatzke, owner of a 2000 Toyota Tundra. "And down in the back here, the leaf springs on this side are so corroded that they're broken."

He said the frame on his truck is being eaten away by rust. Driven only 89,000 miles, it no longer holds power steering fluid.

"In order to fix it, you need a power steering rack," Gatzke said. "But the corrosion is so bad, there is nothing for it to get welded back onto the frame."

Watch Report

Gatzke has pretty much stopped driving his truck.

Bob Malone
"It's aggressive corrosion that essentially makes the truck unsafe," he said. "I mean, the power steering rack at 70 mph. --- if that were to let go, that could be a really bad accident."

Bob Malone is another Tundra owner with the same complaint.

"You can see the frame rail is just orange with rust," he said.

Malone's 2000 Tundra -- driven just 72,000 -- essentially fell apart going through the car wash.

"I could literally just hear the metal chips flying off," he said, holding a rusted sheet in his hand. "This is the biggest piece I found out of the pile."

Team 5 Investigates discovered more than two dozen complaints about 2000 and 2001 Tundras filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Drivers wrote, "Metal shearing off in large sheets"; "The rot caused the frame to break in half.".... (and) "Poked my finger right through the cross member."

Frustrated Tundra owners told NHTSA: "My truck is undriveable and unfixable." ... "It will not pass the next inspection." ... (and) "I cannot drive my car or even sell it as is."

"What needs to happen is, Toyota needs to recall these trucks," said Sean Kane, a national safety expert who believes the rust problem with older Tundras may be the same one plaguing more than 800,000 Tacoma trucks built between 1995 and 2000. As Team 5 Investigates first reported last year, those model years did not have adequate corrosion protection, causing the frames to disintegrate from rust.

Toyota agreed --- and offered buyback deals for one-and-a-half times the vehicle's Blue Book value.

"Toyota really does need to step up here and extend that warranty beyond the vehicles that they've already covered to include any vehicles of theirs that has this kind of problem," Kane said.

In a written statement, Toyota told Team 5 Investigates that they've had only a small number of complaints and are investigating each one. They said, "using the information obtained from the Tacoma, we pro-actively investigate other vehicles of similar design and production elements." The company added, it "takes great pride in the durability and quality of our products."

Toyota wouldn't disclose how many rusted Tundras they've heard about or what they're doing for the owners.

"I'm pretty incensed," Malone said. "If you call them up, they just ignore you and hope you'll go away. I don't know what it's going to take."

Copyright 2009 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 pm

Well done Toyota. Just when we thought GM had secured the crown for bad press you come along and top them again.

Keep building vehicles like this and they'll learn that staying #1 isn't as easy as becomming #1.

Maybe they can use those billions they're getting from the Japanese Gov't to glue the boxes back back on their trucks.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:09 pm

If you want a quality truck buy Ford, GM or Mopar...

http://jalopnik.com/5232946/toyota-truc ... ted-frames

$1:

Owners of Tacomas and Tundras from between 1995 and 2002 have lodged complaints with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration over dangerously corroding frames, with some examples so weak you can poke a finger through crossmembers.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Even 2008 Tundras have a rust problem....

http://www.prleap.com/pr/118506/

But it get's better these lemons also have a brake problem according to Consumer Affairs... Toyotas response "keep it quiet"...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automoti ... undra.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Do they say what's causing this rust problem?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:

Uh. I'm no engineer or scientist but my 'guess' would be moisture!
:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Yogi Yogi:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Well duh. [bash]

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:29 pm

It's usually owners that don't properly maintain their vehicles, but knowing stemmer and his utter hatred for all things foreign, there's bound to be a far more sinister excuse.

This is the patented ridenrain schadenfreude approach to an argument. When losing an argument, pick out one thing about the opposition and blow it out of proportion.

Rust, gaskets, oil leak fires, bearing failures etc. have been the mainstay of the North American vehicles for thirty years. Stemmer finally found something to try and discredit the imports. At least in his own mind. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:32 pm

poquas poquas:
It's usually owners that don't properly maintain their vehicles, but knowing stemmer and his utter hatred for all things foreign, there's bound to be a far more sinister excuse.

This is the patented ridenrain schadenfreude approach to an argument. When losing an argument, pick out one thing about the opposition and blow it out of proportion.

Rust, gaskets, oil leak fires, bearing failures etc. have been the mainstay of the North American vehicles for thirty years. Stemmer finally found something to try and discredit the imports. At least in his own mind. :roll:

Maybe you could get to your point without taking shots at everyone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:34 pm

poquas poquas:

$1:
My husband and I purchased a new 2001 Ford F150 in Jan. 01. We had the standard 3yrs, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The truck now has 40,000 miles and the transmission failed. I contacted this Ford dealer (Gordon Ford in W. Haverstraw, NY) and was very disappointed with the level of service I received from them. After leaving 4 messages for the owner, Rich Gordon, he has never returned my phone call.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automoti ... GOoeuc51&B

They are easy to find...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:36 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Yogi Yogi:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Well duh. [bash]

ROTFL ROTFL

Ok. I'll try to be serious for once. My guess would be the quality (read composition)of steel used and either an inferior or no rust inhibitor applied at the point of manufacture. When steel reaches the point we see in the above pics 'the cancer is terminal'. Certainly it should be investigated further and owners compensated by Toyota not us!

Too
Often
Yankees
Overprice
This
Auto

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:37 pm

There's definately a problem going by those pictures. Those frames are too far gone for the age of the vehicle. The other parts of the under carriage look OK which leads me to believe there's something out of whack with the frame finishing.

Either that or there's some pretty nasty salt stuff being used on the roads around there.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:20 am

This Toyota Tundra owner is complaining his 14 month old truck has rust on it...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra ... -rust.html

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  1  2  3  4  5 ... 8  Next