Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:59 pm

[QUOTE BY= Brent Swain]<br /> It's high time Canadians had ten year passports . [/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> All good reasons...and a 10 yr. passport would be cheaper obviously.<br /> <br /> But the thing that is annoying about the passport is the Guarantor section--the list of Guarantors is a little old-fashioned, not to mention unequal.<br /> <br /> Why would being certified provincially as a pharmist or being a member of a private association like CGA make you more qualified to 'verify' a legally equal fellow citizen?<br /> <br /> In fact is it the job of these professions to have it's members' work gratis for Canada's border security and various protocols.<br /> <br /> A rather old fashion system that might collapse if many are forced all of a sudden to get passports just to go play 'bingo' in North Dakota.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:21 pm

"cheaper obviously". Are you kidding? This is a cash cow to the government. Many years ago, all Government Departments provided a "service". Nowadays, they are supposed to be self-supporting from their own revenue source(s).<br /> <br /> I agree that it would be just as costly to produce a ten-year passport as a five-year passport. But that savings will not easily be passed on to the consumer. Government is not like private enterprise and does not think that way. I wonder what France did?<br /> <br />

Jacob

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:55 pm

I phoned a tory office recently and they said that a lot of people have been bringing up the issue. It was also brought up in the Vancouver province .Keep up the good work . Your effort may tip the balance.<br /> Brent

Brent