canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Caveat, I'm a shameless Asus fanboy. Not quite as bad as mactards, but pretty close.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Tricks Tricks:
BRAH BRAH:
Tricks Tricks:
Playbook at the 200 dollar price point is a steal.

The playbook at the 500 dollar price point is shit.

Asus Transformer > everything.

It was a steal, I thought about the Asus Transformer but I used something like that when I worked at a BMW dealership and it was junk.

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Isnt the reason they dropped the price was because it was discontinued.

I think they are and hopefully if RIM is bought by another company they will decide to keep the Playbook because it's RIM's lack of management that eventually killed it not the product itself.

The transformer was made by asus. Automatically means it isn't junk. Asus is pretty much the only company I know of that consistently puts out fantastic products.

The tablet I used was a Toshiba with a docking station and it was bulky, heavy and this was over 2 years ago.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Helped someone set up their Playbook today. Kinda small, but for $199 a steal.
Have an AsusEEE, a EEE box and an Asus laptop. They threw in a free Win7 upgrade and 2nd year warranty plus $100 off last Christmas. Salesman said all the customers were so stoopid they wouldn't even look at it, they all wanted HP and Comcrap, i mean Compaq (you know, good stuff, the names they see on tee-vee over and over)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:41 pm

^ This. I've pitched the Transformer to every single person who looks at tablets. They either confuse it for Acer, or don't trust it cause they don't know it. People are dumb as fuck.

Brah, the transformer is actually pretty thin, and who can argue with something like 15 hours of battery life with the dock?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Sometimes the one that invents something like the EEE or the freakin' Dodge Caravan knows WTF they're doing.
He says, looking at the dead Acers, the Toshiba with a blown NIC, the HP Win7 netbook I wouldn't GIVE to someone I knew, and the Safari that can't even get out of the driveway until April....
loved the Transformer, almost stocked them. Unfortunately I live in a small town and when they talk about "Black Friday" it doesn't mean the start of Xmas sales. It means you'll never see a living soul enter your store again until all the Boxing Day sales in the megastores 200 miles away are over.
Good year for our town. Only TWO people fucking killed themselves on the roads "saving money" in the big city.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Wow, that's brutal.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Brah, the transformer is actually pretty thin, and who can argue with something like 15 hours of battery life with the dock?

I will look into it, tablets are being used by businesses more such as a few dealerships who are now using IPads and IPods for Service Advisors which I would have rather had than the Toshiba piece of crap I was using.

herbie herbie:
Helped someone set up their Playbook today. Kinda small, but for $199 a steal.

It's small but once I threw it into an otterbox defender case it's not bad. People bitched it didn't have it's own data plan option well that's actually a bonus for BlackBerry users who can sync the Playbook using the same data plan like I did or just use it on Wifi.

RIM's failure was when they were competing against the IPad they went for the same price had they launched it at the $200 price for a 16g model things would have turned out better.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Not really. There is no way to tell it's going to happen. It just does. As I said, product of technology, not the company.

I've seen flat panels from companies (Westinghouse, Spectre, RCA) with serious defects with regard to pixels (huge blocks of stuck/dead pixels), while I've yet to see this with more "respected" brands (Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung).

Some companies simply pay greater respect to the concept of quality control.

$1:
And yours didn't.

I never said Asus was a junk vendor, but I don't hold their brand in any higher regard than most other companies producing flat panel displays. IMO they are an average company.

$1:
Did you try to change the settings? Did you account of environmental factors? For example, if you go look at a tv in Futureshop. The settings are made specifically for the show room to make it look as good as possible. When you get it home, it may not look as good because the environment has changed.

I've had plenty of time to play with the screen, best way to describe the effect is that it appears as if panel is not operating at its optimum resolution, but the proper ratio (16:9). Now I know that the monitor is running at 1600 x 900 (the resolution it was meant to display), so I know the resolution isn't the problem.

$1:
More probably so that overly critical people can't bitch about lack of built-in speakers. I'm surprised it came with them to be honest. I never check them when I buy a monitor cause I'll never use them. I didn't even know my monitor had them until my speakers got unplugged one day.

I have a Creative 5.1 system hooked up to the main PC, but I need the monitor speakers on the VE205 as I use it as a display for my Aspire One when I hook it up to a keyboard and mouse to use it as a second desktop.

Don't have room on the desk for two powered speaker systems.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:09 am

Tricks Tricks:
saturn_656 saturn_656:
With some companies, this kind of issue occurs more often than with others. Can be a sign of poor quality control,
Not really. There is no way to tell it's going to happen. It just does. As I said, product of technology, not the company.

$1:
especially if the product arrives with these defects.
And yours didn't.

$1:
Viewsonic has 1080P resolution, but it also is a significantly larger screen, higher resolution is expected.
Asus ran at 1600 x 900 and compared to other monitors running that resolution (at my workplace 19 and 20 inch LCD's are all over the offices, walls, etc. Dell and Apple branded for the most part) mine always seemed to lack sharpness in the image. I needed the monitor and couldn't wait for a replacement so I kept it.
Did you try to change the settings? Did you account of environmental factors? For example, if you go look at a tv in Futureshop. The settings are made specifically for the show room to make it look as good as possible. When you get it home, it may not look as good because the environment has changed.
$1:
If they weren't going to make the speakers at least laptop/netbook quality and usable, why include them at all? Probably so they could tak another feature on the specifications I suppose?

More probably so that overly critical people can't bitch about lack of built-in speakers. I'm surprised it came with them to be honest. I never check them when I buy a monitor cause I'll never use them. I didn't even know my monitor had them until my speakers got unplugged one day.[/quote]
I love my 23in. monitor but the built in speakers are worse than useless. Like the tiny shit ones they put in laptops only these actually output behind the monitor :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:22 am

RIMs failure was they joined the rush to compete with iPad. None of them can.
I like the Transformer, but wouldn't even think of parking my iPad2 for one.
If you're the type that's gonna get on your knees in a temper tantrum cuz you're just not gonna buy an iPad ever, no matter what, get a Transformer.
The Playbook's a deal as long as you realize $200 is jack shit and you're gonna have a tiny orphan device a year from now.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am

herbie herbie:
RIMs failure was they joined the rush to compete with iPad. None of them can.
I like the Transformer, but wouldn't even think of parking my iPad2 for one.
If you're the type that's gonna get on your knees in a temper tantrum cuz you're just not gonna buy an iPad ever, no matter what, get a Transformer.
The Playbook's a deal as long as you realize $200 is jack shit and you're gonna have a tiny orphan device a year from now.

RIM,s Playbook concept is actually good it's the price that did it in still at $200 it's worth it.

As for purchasing an IPad I will wait to see what 3 will have to offer if it's nothing inspiring I might go for a Transformer.

If Apple made an IPad/Mac based upon the Transformer design I would be the first inline with my tent. 8)