Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Firefox upgraded itself to version 29 today... And has completely shit the bed. I am unable to access the internet... Network is fine, I'm using Chrome right now (oh god, the ads! they're everywhere!)... Checked the firewall, made rules to explicitly allow Firefox... nothing. Nothing else should be in it's path, I don't have wonky proxy settings, none of that crap. Disabled add-ons, still nothing.

Problem is that Googling for the solution is useless... The version is so new that I can only find a few sites that are trying to help... And they all suggest it's some firewall issue.

Chrome feels like walking alone at night in a strange part of town.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Firefox upgraded itself to version 29 today... And has completely shit the bed. Since it's such a new update, I am unable to access the internet... Network is fine, I'm using Chrome right now (oh god, the ads! they're everywhere!)... Checked the firewall, made rules to explicitly allow Firefox... nothing. Nothing else should be in it's path, I don't have wonky proxy settings, none of that crap. Disabled add-ons, still nothing.

Problem is that Googling for the solution is useless... The version is so new that I can only find a few sites that are trying to help... And they all suggest it's some firewall issue.

It started reminding Chrome after that update.

Last edited by PostFactum on Sat May 10, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Explorer feels like walking down the main strip past the 7-11, the DQ, Walmart, the car wash, ...

Last edited by Jabberwalker on Sat May 10, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm

PostFactum PostFactum:
It started remaining Chrome after that update.

If you are meaning to say that Firefox now looks like Chrome with this new update, I agree. Rounded tabs, empty look... At least I still have AdBlock though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

Explorer feels like waking down the main strip past the 7-11, the DQ, Walmart, the car wash, ...

More like being thrown into that pit of hypodermic needles like in the movie Saw

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:23 pm

PostFactum PostFactum:
It started remaining Chrome after that update.

If you are meaning to say that Firefox now looks like Chrome with this new update, I agree. Rounded tabs, empty look... At least I still have AdBlock though.

Do you have trouble with it for the last time ? As for me at the last time, adblock misses many commercial banners.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:33 pm

AdBlock works great, plus I know how to block anything it misses. It blocks YouTube ads, which is helpful, as well as ads on TheComedyNetwork and many news website videos. It feels weird looking at websites now that I'm on Chrome, Chrome has a different version of AdBlock that doesn't work as well as it does on Firefox.

I recommend Firefox + AdBlock to anyone I see without it.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:41 pm

Firefox upgraded itself to version 29 today... And has completely shit the bed. I am unable to access the internet... Network is fine, I'm using Chrome right now (oh god, the ads! they're everywhere!)... Checked the firewall, made rules to explicitly allow Firefox... nothing. Nothing else should be in it's path, I don't have wonky proxy settings, none of that crap. Disabled add-ons, still nothing.

I have FF 30. Perhaps rolling back to 28 if you can?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:44 pm

I'll see what I can do... Right now I'm installing "A Tale of Two Wastelands" which is this mod that turns Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas into one game, I just need the internet to make sure i can get this thing to friggen work

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:43 pm

I'll see what I can do... Right now I'm installing "A Tale of Two Wastelands" which is this mod that turns Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas into one game, I just need the internet to make sure i can get this thing to friggen work

Do you have any malware programs??
Did windows firewall get turned on?
I ask because I am sure you have another virus program, Kaspersky or such.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:48 pm

I have MalwareBytes activated currently... I'll check it out, though it usually tells me when it has punted a program. My anti-virus program needs to be, uh, "updated" which requires a process I've been too lazy to bother with, so my main anti-virus isn't even in the position to act as a firewall right now...

Yes, Windows Firewall is on... But I have created an exception for Firefox.

EDIT: yeah, MalwareBytes has nothing to do with it.
EDIT2: Turned off Windows Firewall completely for shits and giggles, still no go. Dammit.

I'll see if things improve after I do the classic "turn it off and then on again" IT fix... later.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:17 pm

Chrome is the browser to go with.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:19 pm

I have MalwareBytes activated currently... I'll check it out, though it usually tells me when it has punted a program. My anti-virus program needs to be, uh, "updated" which requires a process I've been too lazy to bother with, so my main anti-virus isn't even in the position to act as a firewall right now...

Yes, Windows Firewall is on... But I have created an exception for Firefox.

EDIT: yeah, MalwareBytes has nothing to do with it.
EDIT2: Turned off Windows Firewall completely for shits and giggles, still no go. Dammit.

I'll see if things improve after I do the classic "turn it off and then on again" IT fix... later.

I have MB Pro as well, never an issue, Do you have another program lke Kaspersky,MacFee or such?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:20 pm

What ever became of Netscape Navigator?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
What ever became of Netscape Navigator?

Wasn't that from the early 90's? I think it was on my powerbookpc.