Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:36 am

PluggyRug wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
PluggyRug wrote:
There are many people who do not want to change.

One man's resistance is another man's inductance. ;)

Or reactance or reluctance. It's more effective when alternating. :wink:

Shocking!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:53 am

:D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:23 pm

They stopped supporting my ice box too, no more home deliveries of ice... I had to buy a refrigerator. :evil:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:48 pm

What it tell people who don't want windows 10 is why keep eating hamburger if they're offering steak for free.
Set the privacy they way you want it. They're gonna snoop to sell you ads - so what. Most of the time it's your search engine, spyware or some piece of shit 'helper' you probably don't even know you installed.
The iOS talk in the thread has been a little off. iOS9 CAN slow down an iPhone4S, there's even a class action over that. It won't be buggy on a newer model. Works fine on my old iPad2
El Capitan works perfectly on my 2008 Macbook and 2011 Mac Mini. Win 10 works fine on my old AMD X2-250, but I did have to add a cheap video card - the original onboard has no and won't get a Win10 driver.
And DrCaleb, don't mention XP where anyone who isn't a geek might see or hear! "Works fine running Photoshop and all the printers in the shop as long as it's not connected to the Internet"
All Joe Blow sees is works fine and runs home fires it up on the Internet with IE8 and drools on his shoe...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:17 am

herbie wrote:
And DrCaleb, don't mention XP where anyone who isn't a geek might see or hear! "Works fine running Photoshop and all the printers in the shop as long as it's not connected to the Internet"

All Joe Blow sees is works fine and runs home fires it up on the Internet with IE8 and drools on his shoe...

I've given up trying to fix stupid. I just sit back and watch the show. :twisted:

That's probably the same idiot who was just tailgating me on an empty highway too. :roll: :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 am

DrCaleb wrote:
BRAH wrote:
When the Apple hardware is 1 to 2 years old and the IOS update is buggy and you need to update to the latest hardware, ugh.

That's Apple's cycle though. Update often, ignore backwards compatibility. Backwards compatibility is Microsoft's strength, but also allows a lot of security holes in the process. It's just the philosophical difference in their strategies.

BRAH wrote:
I am running Windows 7 Professional and after reading the reviews I refuse to update to 10 because I would be updating to a basic operating system. My 2007 runs XP Media Centre edition which was one of the best operatimg system Microsoft made to bad they didn't follow it up until Windows 7.

I agree, XP Media Center was great! I used it with my Happauge TV tuner, it was my go-to PC. Then the cable company went all digital, and the tuner card is only good for FM radio. :( Now the same PC runs Windows 7 Home edition, and my gaming system is Windows 7 Ultimate.

BRAH wrote:
Apple, I am running Snow Leopard which I still recieve updates for, hell last year I had an update for my 2000 Pismo Powerbook that runs tiger so Google doing this is a cash grab of trying to push consumers to Chromebooks.

I won't go for a chromebook for the same reason I won't do Windows 10. Privacy. :x They are a cool idea, poorly implemented IMHO.

BRAH wrote:
The BlackBerry Playbook still works flawlessly, just saying.

R=UP A vastly underrated tablet! I've just got an old Asus Android book. It does the job.

Apple has defintely moved away from what made it great which is why I still have my 2007 Black MacBook. My laptop running XP Media Centre is a 2007 Sony Vaio, while it's big and heavy it feels solid unlike laptops today that feel cheap. The downside of the Playbook was the price and the anti BlackBerry culture which media outlets like Yahoo consciously pushed.

Chromebook sales have been growing so the people buying them are ether not concerned about the privacy issue or don't know about it. How can anyone honestly expect privacy today when everything we do is connected. The only way to guarantee your privacy is to drop off the grid if that's even possible.

DrCaleb wrote:
BRAH wrote:
Privacy issues, I recently entered the phone number of a coworker in my Android Note4 and a day later my Facebook and LinkedIn suggested her as a contact and friend. It's not the first time this has happened. 8O

Many apps like the Linkedin and Facebook apps will ask for permission to read your phone and texting history and contact lists when they are installed, usually as a blanket permission question. Blackberry actually lists these permissions one by one, so you can confirm or deny access on a case-by-case basis. Not a big surprise there that they send that history to themselves and use it to gather more information about you.

I think that's one reason that Linkedin and Facebook stopped supporting the Blackberry version of their apps. It's also the reason I don't have many apps on my BBs. Many fail to install when you deny them those permissions. ;)

Citizenfour.

Last edited by BRAH on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:53 am

BRAH wrote:
Chromebook sales have been growing so the people buying them are ether not concerned about the privacy issue or don't know about it. How can anyone honestly expect privacy today when everything we do is connected. The only way to guarantee your privacy is to drop off the grid if that's even possible.

It's possible. I don't have to 'drop off' because I saw the implication of an unforgiving internet that never forgets, many years ago. That's why I have my policy of no personal information on the internet, ever. I never really 'jumped on', so I don't have to now 'drop off'. ;)

If you knew my name, you could find me on Facebook. But I don't post much about myself there either. My main computer contains detail about me, but not critical details, like my social insurance number. And it's not internet connected, and encrypted.

I'm not about to go through all that effort for all those years and then get a Chromebook or subscribe to Office 365. ;)