Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Need a new workstation for work. One of the better machines out there for running solidworks seems to be the Boxx 4850

I don't have 3,000.00 to spend.

What makes this thing eat 5,000 part assemblies for breakfast is:
A Core i7-920 processor
B 3GB DDR3 (1333)
C Nvidia Quadro FX 1800

So I start poking around on www.newegg.ca and come to the conclusion I can probably build my own knockoff for about 1,500 bucks.

Never built a computer before.

Anything I should know before I purchase, then fry 1,500 dollars worth of components? 8O

Can't be that hard, right? I rebuilt snowmobile engines in highschool. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:45 pm

1) Make sure the parts you are buying are compatible (I'm thinking CPU, MOBO, RAM mainly).

2) Be VERY careful when you place the CPU in the socket. All those little gold pins would snap in a stiff wind. Invest in one of those anti-static armbands.

3) Patience. I found that putting the hardware together was easy, getting the drivers and software to play nice was harder.

BTW I like newegg, its where I bought all the parts for my last build.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:46 pm

1)Yea, that's going to take the most figuring. Looks like any P55 board works with that CPU, just have to figure out what the differences are between them.

2)Stiff wind. Got it.

3)That would be my lovely wife's job! :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:23 pm

I'd also say that some processors don't come with heat sinks, so in case they don't, make sure you buy a reliable one.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm not 100% about Newegg, but with NCIX you can pay $50 and have them assemble the computer, test it and install the OS. NCIX also does price matching with Newegg.

I have built hundreds of computers over the years, its no longer fun, so i usualy just pay the $50, its not worth my time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Wow I didn't know that about NCIX. I agree, it isn't fun. The fun part is booting it up and having it work. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 am

Canadaka Canadaka:
I'm not 100% about Newegg, but with NCIX you can pay $50 and have them assemble the computer, test it and install the OS. NCIX also does price matching with Newegg.

I have built hundreds of computers over the years, its no longer fun, so i usualy just pay the $50, its not worth my time.

50 bucks! No problem!

Thanks man!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Do it yourself, at least you'll know where everything goes, what it is, and have read the mobo manual for interesting tweaks. Might take an hour or two on your first build.
My Phenom II 965 came yesterday, so I'll be tinkering this weekend too.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Robair Robair:
So I start poking around on http://www.newegg.ca and come to the conclusion I can probably build my own knockoff for about 1,500 bucks.

Never built a computer before.

Anything I should know before I purchase, then fry 1,500 dollars worth of components? 8O

Read lots of consumer reviews about the products you want. Make sure that you're not over or underpowering your system for what you want it to do, ie don't buy a supercrazy 4gb video card and 8.1 surround sound card if all you're doing is making PowerPoint presentations and browsing the web.

Also, don't forget to include the Microsoft Tax (aka a copy of Windows7), if you intend to do a lot of gaming.

$1:
Can't be that hard, right? I rebuilt snowmobile engines in highschool. :lol:

If you can follow instructions, put round pegs into round holes, square pegs into square holes, and operate a screwdriver, you should be able to assemble a computer without too much trouble.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:
2) Be VERY careful when you place the CPU in the socket. All those little gold pins would snap in a stiff wind. Invest in one of those anti-static armbands.

They don't use pins anymore! Someone intelligent came up with the idea of little gold tiles instead of pins. Makes CPU installation so much less stressful.

The important thing that must be stressed is that, while you install RAM and the cooling system for your CPU, try not to flex the motherboard too much. The more you flex a circuit board as dense with traces as a PC motherboard, the more likely you risk turning it into junk.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:21 pm

If after the build you are having problems DO NOT open the case or remove components until you've unplugged the powersupply....

Even if the computer is powered off with an ATX type powersupply electricity is still going to the motherboard. I learned that the hard way. I was placing an modem into an earlier computer, the computer was powered off. I opened the case and when I placed the modem into a slot (can't remember if it was isa or pci) I saw a few sparks. I felt sick and the computer would not power on. Not only was I out a modem but a motherboard as well...

What really made me mad was I knew better as I do network support for a living and frequently have to replace a bad token ring or ethernet card...

Instead of unplugging the motherboard you can use the rocker power on/switch on the back of the powersupply BUT turning off the computer with the case switch is not enough. Personally I peffer to unplug as then I'm 100% sure the computer is off...

All 4 of my home computers are home builts I did myself. I find it fun... But if 50 bucks is what NCIX charges it's well worth the fee. Nothing worse then getting a component only to find it's fault or doa...

Solidworks? You must be an engineer or a 3D modeler? I've used one of their freebie products CB Model Pro

http://www.cbmodelpro.com/forum.html

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:06 pm

I design heavy equipment on solidworks. Forestry and mining mostly now. Have designed street sweepers and garbage trucks in the past.

Cooked my current workstation after just over two years of use. :|

I do work them pretty hard, I can get a tad impatient...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Token ring? ISA?
Ever notice how Joe Blow can buy himself a new computer to keep up with games, but big goddam businesses that can write every nickel off are so fucking cheap?
You rescue an accountant's 10 years of data for them, there was a 2009 100% tax write-off for new computers and the shitheads all run to WalMart and replace their dead Pentium II with the cheapest thing on the shelf?
But waaah! this Emachine was $150 cheaper than the custom built RAID system you showed me...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:59 pm

herbie herbie:
Token ring? ISA?
Ever notice how Joe Blow can buy himself a new computer to keep up with games, but big goddam businesses that can write every nickel off are so fucking cheap?
You rescue an accountant's 10 years of data for them, there was a 2009 100% tax write-off for new computers and the shitheads all run to WalMart and replace their dead Pentium II with the cheapest thing on the shelf?
But waaah! this Emachine was $150 cheaper than the custom built RAID system you showed me...

But that's a winning situation for you. They buy the cheap-ass machine from wally world, instead of from you, you, of course don't get the mark-up you would otherwise get, but then when the Wally-world special goes for shit, and they bring it in to you to repair...$$$$

I go through the same sort of situation in my business time and again. Rather than focus my energy on 'new installs' I make more money on service work for less time and work! :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Robair Robair:
I design heavy equipment on solidworks. Forestry and mining mostly now. Have designed street sweepers and garbage trucks in the past.

Cooked my current workstation after just over two years of use. :|

I do work them pretty hard, I can get a tad impatient...

If it's a recent version of SolidWorks, you'll probably want the best 3D video card and RAM that money can buy. You'll also want to make sure that the motherboard you buy has the fastest frontside bus speed, which is now about 1800MHz. You need to get RAM that matches the bus speed of your motherboard. I would recommend getting a motherboard that does not need to be overclocked to achieve the highest bus speed, as overclocking puts additional wear on components and they will not last as long as they would have had they not been overclocked. Doing some research on which CPUs are most suitable for 3D modeling is also key.