Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:11 am

Demanded was more the word, as both of our laptops are shit. I could have just gone to the store to buy a computer, but I think it would be an interesting experience building my own. It's been a very long time since I've considered myself computer savvy and I'd like to get back into it. That being said, despite reading various articles I'm feeling overwhelmed looking at parts. Given the $1200-$1500ish range we're looking at, these are the parts I've picked out so far:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo
Intel i5-4670K processor (3.4GHz)
MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 760 2GB Graphics Card
G.Skillz Ripjaws X Series, 2 x 4GB Ram sticks
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
ASUS BC-12B1ST Blu-Ray/DVD/CD drive

These components seem to match together fairly well. All have good/great reviews and many builds seem to have this combination. They also are approximately the same level on the "Logical Increments PC Buying Guide." If I have $ room after everything else is picked out I might step up the graphics card and mobo, but I think things are overkill as is. I'm wondering what you guys have to say about my parts list thus far. A purely cosmetic bonus from this short list is that they all share a similar theme, so I might want to find a case with a glass side to show it off. Can't find a good looking one yet.

All this said, here are the questions. I don't intend on over clocking right away, if I have to at all. I went with the "k" processor to leave my options open. Can I stick with the stock processor heat sink until I make that decision?

Is it okay to go with a power supply in excess of my current power needs in order to provide for future growth?

Where can I look for a good case?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:38 am

You're light years ahead of me already on this subject. Have fun..

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:55 am

I suspect she's gamer or 3D graphic developer :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:55 am

Canadian_Mind wrote:
Demanded was more the word, as both of our laptops are shit. I could have just gone to the store to buy a computer, but I think it would be an interesting experience building my own. It's been a very long time since I've considered myself computer savvy and I'd like to get back into it. That being said, despite reading various articles I'm feeling overwhelmed looking at parts. Given the $1200-$1500ish range we're looking at, these are the parts I've picked out so far:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

These components seem to match together fairly well. All have good/great reviews and many builds seem to have this combination. They also are approximately the same level on the "Logical Increments PC Buying Guide." If I have $ room after everything else is picked out I might step up the graphics card and mobo, but I think things are overkill as is. I'm wondering what you guys have to say about my parts list thus far. A purely cosmetic bonus from this short list is that they all share a similar theme, so I might want to find a case with a glass side to show it off. Can't find a good looking one yet.

All this said, here are the questions. I don't intend on over clocking right away, if I have to at all. I went with the "k" processor to leave my options open. Can I stick with the stock processor heat sink until I make that decision?

Is it okay to go with a power supply in excess of my current power needs in order to provide for future growth?

My gut opinion is that stock heatsinks are junk, especially intels. While you'd probably be OK I'd put in the aftermarket sink now, it'll save you the trouble of ripping everything apart later.

As far as power supplies go I'd pick up a 600 to 700 watt Gold or Platinum rated Seasonic or Antec. You're almost guaranteed to get a rock solid unit. If you aren't considering SLI that'll be more than enough watts.

What types of games do you play and what resolution do you game at? Do you game at all? I passed over the 760 this year due to a lack of performance at 1080p.

Newegg has plenty of cases with side windows, shipping to Canada is pretty reasonable.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 am

saturn_656 wrote:
Canadian_Mind wrote:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

My gut opinion is that stock heatsinks are junk, especially intels. While you'd probably be OK I'd put in the aftermarket sink now, it'll save you the trouble of ripping everything apart later.

I'd second using an aftermarket heat sink. I like the liquid cooled variety. Corsair to be specific. It may be way more than you need, but heat kills components second fastest, next to power surges.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835181032

Be careful which case you buy too - that magnetic mount won't do anything on a case with an aluminium chassis.

saturn_656 wrote:
As far as power supplies go I'd pick up a 600 to 700 watt Gold or Platinum rated Seasonic or Antec. You're almost guaranteed to get a rock solid unit. If you aren't considering SLI that'll be more than enough watts.

I've had good luck with Antec, and with Thermaltake's "Blue" line.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6817153182

saturn_656 wrote:
What types of games do you play and what resolution do you game at? Do you game at all? I passed over the 760 this year due to a lack of performance at 1080p.

Newegg has plenty of cases with side windows, shipping to Canada is pretty reasonable.

That's the key - know what you want it for. An internet only PC can be a lot easier and cheaper than a big gaming rig.

As for cases, can't go wrong with Antec 900:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6811129021

http://www.newegg.ca/ = No Customs charges, no currency conversions. ;)

The #1 e-commerce site is Amazon, #2 is Newegg.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:15 am

I have the Antec 900 for my gaming rig and it's been great, not one problem with heat at all. Put a larger than needed power supply so you have extra juice down the road if need be or for expansion. This past summer I got the 2GB Gforce 660 which has been good but from what I'm hearing from the guys I game with is that the R9 is crazy fast and crazy cheap. You can play anything with that set up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:18 am

My advice is to take a critical look at the performance specifications of what you're building, assess the price of the finished computer, and then go shopping to make sure that what you're building is better and cheaper than what you could buy from Dell, HP, or a boutique company like Xidax.

If the specs and costs are equal then you need to weigh the value of a warranty and customer service (if you need it).

I say all of this as a former white box builder who stopped building white boxes about ten years ago when pre-made computers became cheaper than white boxes.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:22 am

Still build white box systems, but get this: my parts supplier will assemble the system and install Windows and drivers for $15...
I don't take advantage of this as the couriers deliver 15-30% of them so banged up to rat-shit you have to bench test every single one. Even found CPU/fan assemblies laying in the bottom of cases, dents & broken bezels, punctured boxes all too common.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:42 pm

DrCaleb wrote:

I'd second using an aftermarket heat sink. I like the liquid cooled variety. Corsair to be specific. It may be way more than you need, but heat kills components second fastest, next to power surges.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835181032

Be careful which case you buy too - that magnetic mount won't do anything on a case with an aluminium chassis.

As for cases, can't go wrong with Antec 900:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6811129021

http://www.newegg.ca/ = No Customs charges, no currency conversions. ;)

The #1 e-commerce site is Amazon, #2 is Newegg.

I've been assembling my list and checking out the build price on Newegg. Good convenient site.

I'm having a hard time finding a case that will fit the cooler you suggested. I like it because it would keep the board uncluttered, but I can't find any cases that have the room to fit it where it is supposed to go (up top). Would it be possible to fit it somewhere else in the case (like where extra Hard Drives would go), or must it be on top?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:54 pm

Get a full sized case with a ton of fans. I've got an 8350 with stock cooling and the hottest it's gotten when playing BF4 on ultra at 1920x1080 is 45 degrees Centigrade well below the max temp.

Also having a full sized case with alot of fans I've had no problems with my 670 Video card since it only gets up to 65 degrees centigrade on those same settings.

So as far as I'm concerned air flow is as important as after market cooling and with the right case you probably won't need the latter.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:14 pm

It's more an aesthetic thing. It's a nice looking Mobo and I'd like to keep it uncluttered. The case I'm looking at has provisions for many fans so I think I'm going to save the $100 here for now and stick with the stock cooler. I'll worry about extra cooling if/when I decide to step into overclocking.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:10 pm

Canadian_Mind wrote:
It's more an aesthetic thing. It's a nice looking Mobo and I'd like to keep it uncluttered. The case I'm looking at has provisions for many fans so I think I'm going to save the $100 here for now and stick with the stock cooler. I'll worry about extra cooling if/when I decide to step into overclocking.

Exactly. If the case has good airflow than you should be fine besides there really isn't a reason to overclock anymore given the quality, speed and durability of the equipment they're producing now.

But good luck and enjoy your new build. BTW go with best power supply you can afford not just the biggest. Just make sure it's at least 80 plus bronze and I'd suggest modular to keep the case clear for airflow.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17 pm

Overclocking sometimes causes issue with other components, seen to many expensive failures with need for speed.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Freakinoldguy wrote:
besides there really isn't a reason to overclock anymore given the quality, speed and durability of the equipment they're producing now.

Bragging rights! I used to overclock all my F@H machines to get maximum stats.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Freakinoldguy wrote:
But good luck and enjoy your new build. BTW go with best power supply you can afford not just the biggest. Just make sure it's at least 80 plus bronze and I'd suggest modular to keep the case clear for airflow.

Given the recommendations above, I picked out the Seasonic SSR 650RM power supply, gold rated and modular. Should give me a substantial amount of extra capacity in case I decide to expand in the future.

I've got a question about graphic cards, do they need to be HDCP ready for me to play a Blu-Ray on either the computer itself or a home television?