bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Alright, sad to say, but I believe that my XFX Geforce 9800 GT has died on me after about a year of service...which I might add, is pissing me off quite a lot. But that's a rant that I don't want to state. Anyway, until it stopped working suddenly, it served me well, and now I'm considering another graphics card. And of course, knowing some of you gaming junkies out there, I might as well ask what you all recommend.

I don't want to spend over $200. I am a university student living in Windsor. Money for me isn't easy to come by, plus it's pointless to get the best graphic card when it comes out considering a better one comes out three weeks later.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:20 pm

I think this is the one I have and it's been great. Not sure if it's come down in price but it was over $300 last year. I was going to add a second one to my rig but they told me not to bother since this one is way more than I need already.

ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 Dark Knight 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121291

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Regina Regina:
I think this is the one I have and it's been great. Not sure if it's come down in price but it was over $300 last year. I was going to add a second one to my rig but they told me not to bother since this one is way more than I need already.

ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 Dark Knight 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121291

I just did a Google, and it's still over $200. Any other recommendations?

To be honest, I feel like taking a bat to this card, but I'm hoping there might be some miracle and it might still be under warranty.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Hmmmmmm.....no I don't have anything else to suggest.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Regina Regina:
Hmmmmmm.....no I don't have anything else to suggest.

Damn, oh well. Thanks for the input.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 pm

$150ish for a Radeon 5770 This Weeks sale or $200ish for an Nvidia 460 This Weeks Sale--unfortunately $220 for the lesser Memory sized one (preferably the 1gb version, but that will be >$)

Those are basically the 2 Best in that Price range right now.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:18 am

sandorski sandorski:
$150ish for a Radeon 5770 This Weeks sale or $200ish for an Nvidia 460 This Weeks Sale--unfortunately $220 for the lesser Memory sized one (preferably the 1gb version, but that will be >$)

Those are basically the 2 Best in that Price range right now.

Both look interesting, and I might get a good deal in the US too. Thanks for the input sandorski

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:51 am

If you want to stay under $200 go with a 5770 card. With tax and shipping you'll pay well over $200 on a GTX 460.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:43 am

on a side note, i think you have some heat problems in your machine. Cards usually quit first from heat.