Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:47 pm

What can I say besides IOLO products and tech support are total P.O.S. They as much as told me "We already got your money. Take your computer to a repair shop Thanks sucker !!

I was getting a few pop-ups lately and based on (correct) advice I got here, purchased a Malware program. My selection out here is limited, but after discussing with a fairly knowledgeable fellow purchased IOLO SYSTEM MECHANIC. BIG mistake! The install didn't even get as far as 'activation key' and my puter crashed. "Missing or corrupt windows root\system 32\intoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of above file.

Trouble is that my puter won't take a disk now! Won't go to 'safe mode'. The 'arrows' won't move the 'highlight' from 'start windows normal'.

Anyone have any suggestions??

I'm also having connection probs here with the internet. Service call set for tommorrow 'between 1-5 pm'. I'll keep checking back as I can. Thanks

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Yogi Yogi:
Anyone have any suggestions??

I'm also having connection probs here with the internet. Service call set for tommorrow 'between 1-5 pm'. I'll keep checking back as I can. Thanks

Firstly, disconnect from the internet for now. You can be more vulnerable to attack while your defences are down.

If you boot from an install CD/DVD it has the option for repairing Windows. IIRC, you are running XP? (Win 7 or Vista arent' much different) When you are booting, you have the option of "installing, or Repairing'. If that doesn't work, after you boot into the GUI part of the install, there is the option also of repairing a Windows installation. It will probably overwrite any files updated since the original install, so it will leave you vulnerable to attack until you update your system. I suggest downloading XP SP3 before hand, and have it on disk so you can apply it after the install finishes, and before you put your machine back on the internet.

After you get the system back online, run from the command console and from the install media (assuming D: is your CD/DVD drive) D:\x86\winnt32 /cmdcons to install the command console, which will help if this ever happens again. Do this before installing any service packs, or it won't work.

That should get you back to 90%. Enough to reconnect and do updates to Windows for a couple hours.

Worst case, you can also download a number of linux based boot disks that will do a number of other tasks, including virus scanning and disk manipulation.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks for the info Caleb, but my puter won't even recognize a disk. When I go into 'F-8' 'Start windows normal' is highlighted and the 'arrows' are non-responsive' when I try to select 'safe mode'. I was just talking to one of my brothers who used to do a lot of puter work, and he tells me that my puter has a 'boot sector virus' and that it hast 'go into the shop'.$$$$$ :(
I did find a youtube vid explaining how to fix the problem, but the fellow doing the explaining has quite an accent, and I can't understand him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Well you just spent a lot of $$ on POS software right? That would've covered a good chunk of putting into the shop!
You either learn how to do everything yourself or pay the piper. There IS NO consumer level software that can fix your computer after the fact. You've been nailed by a virus.
Get your hands on a Genuine MS XP CD and boot from it. Delete ALL the partitions and install XP again. Kiss your files goodbye. It's too late!
Or pay someone and they might be able to rescue some of your files too.

In the meantime, give up and get the thing OFF THE INTERNET. If you have a router at home, it's already hunting for other networked computers to fuck up too. And scan your USB stick when your done before you reinfect it with that.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:10 am

herbie herbie:
Well you just spent a lot of $$ on POS software right? That would've covered a good chunk of putting into the shop!
You either learn how to do everything yourself or pay the piper. There IS NO consumer level software that can fix your computer after the fact. You've been nailed by a virus.
Get your hands on a Genuine MS XP CD and boot from it. Delete ALL the partitions and install XP again. Kiss your files goodbye. It's too late!
Or pay someone and they might be able to rescue some of your files too.

In the meantime, give up and get the thing OFF THE INTERNET. If you have a router at home, it's already hunting for other networked computers to fuck up too. And scan your USB stick when your done before you reinfect it with that.

Nope. No router. My ISP is sending a tech out here today to repair my net connection. If he/she KNOWS how to fix my puter, I'll pay them. Otherwise, it's off to my local shop. He says that he has a system- some kind of machine- that is guaranteed to be able to save my photos and files. We'll see! I already have my genuine MS OS discs. I was taught right from the beginning to go with 'the real deal'! Hence my purchase of the system mechanic. Which, by the way, the store did refund for me as I bought it based on their recommendation. Thanks for the input, Herbie. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 am

Good for forcing the issue! I usually just write off bad software as a 'learning experience'.
Usually you can boot with a "Bart" disk and use the utilities to copy your files to an external, copy them back after a Windows re-install. Doesn't take all that much to hunt down, learn and build one.
You could also use the opportunity to move to Windows7 (new comp?). XP's compromised beyond all hope these days.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 am

herbie herbie:
Good for forcing the issue! I usually just write off bad software as a 'learning experience'.
Usually you can boot with a "Bart" disk and use the utilities to copy your files to an external, copy them back after a Windows re-install. Doesn't take all that much to hunt down, learn and build one.
You could also use the opportunity to move to Windows7 (new comp?). XP's compromised beyond all hope these days.

I could very well be looking at a new puter. Or in the very least, depending on the condition of the rest of the hardware, a new smaller hd loaded with '7', with a large external hd. My idea behind this config is that I can download my pics and files to the smaller hd, and then transfer, and safely save, all my files to the external hd. Am I correct in going this way?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 am

Yogi Yogi:
herbie herbie:

I could very well be looking at a new puter. Or in the very least, depending on the condition of the rest of the hardware, a new smaller hd loaded with '7', with a large external hd. My idea behind this config is that I can download my pics and files to the smaller hd, and then transfer, and safely save, all my files to the external hd. Am I correct in going this way?

I always seperate my data and my OS. Either by a physical internal drive or external (USB/eSATA).

I've gone one step further in recent years, and taken all those 500GB drives I had and stuffed them into external chassis to make them into NAS (Network Attached Storage). A little box hanging off my network switch, connected as a remote drive to all my computers. A virus could eat my machine, but my data would hopefully be intact. (I still do use tape backups too!)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:06 am

I had an ealier version of system mechanic that served me well.When it came time to update,I read many bad reviews for the 2010 version.I went with Norton instead.A month later I had a virus.No help from Norton whatsoever.I had to pay someone $100 to remove the virus and clean up the system.

I realize that nothing is 100% in stopping viruses.I do feel that when you spend a lot of money for an anti virus system,the company should render some actual asisstance in the removal of the virus.Some kind of warranty would be nice.Don't charge me another hundred bucks to remove a virus that your software was supposed to prevent in the first place.

Any recs for anti virus systems that actually work and are not power hogs?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:56 am

its not hard to get rid of viruses, boot or otherwise IF you have a second machine. pop the hd out and into another machine or a external usb case and run your antivirus on it. But before that get good antivirus program.

avast or Symantec end point protection corporate mr3. Along with malware bytes and super anti spyware free, you are pretty well protected. I will not argue about which antivirus is better as a good part of my job is removing virus all day long, these two work the best and that's all there is to it. Take my advice for what it is.

Dr Caleb i assume you know a virus will eat right through your NAS if unprotected.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Use the external housing. Otherwise unless you're absolutely sure which one's yours and remember to catch the boot sequence in time, 50-50 says it will boot the infected one and infect the good one.
Plug it in a housing and plug that in live... and scan it.

I have one helluva time keeping my attention during the bootups... someone's ALWAYS poking their head in or handing me a phone, yapping at me etc. Blew my top today walked out and laid it out for the staff in front of some customers:
I'm FUCKING BUSY. I'm NOT answering the fucking phone, I don't GIVE A SHIT if they have Internet problems, if they won't talk to you then TOO FUCKING BAD. And let them know if they're not a sawmill owner or Band Manager I AIN'T GONNA CALL THEM BACK NO HOW NO WAY. Now DO what I pay you for and leave me alone long enough to get to press FUCKING F8!!!!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 pm

herbie herbie:
Use the external housing. Otherwise unless you're absolutely sure which one's yours and remember to catch the boot sequence in time, 50-50 says it will boot the infected one and infect the good one.
Plug it in a housing and plug that in live... and scan it.

I have one helluva time keeping my attention during the bootups... someone's ALWAYS poking their head in or handing me a phone, yapping at me etc. Blew my top today walked out and laid it out for the staff in front of some customers:
I'm FUCKING BUSY. I'm NOT answering the fucking phone, I don't GIVE A SHIT if they have Internet problems, if they won't talk to you then TOO FUCKING BAD. And let them know if they're not a sawmill owner or Band Manager I AIN'T GONNA CALL THEM BACK NO HOW NO WAY. Now DO what I pay you for and leave me alone long enough to get to press FUCKING F8!!!!

8O :lol: [B-o]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:43 am

Yogi, you can use the disk I mailed to you to recover the file. There's tons of utilities on it to help with pretty much any kind of OS failure. :wink: