CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:18 am

I have an older version of Adobe Photoshop (5.0), great program that has served me well over the years.
Now I don't have a problem making up a graphic and using the "wand" for graphics that I transfer onto another background or overlap type thing.
I have all the plugins, but not very good at understanding the "layers" - and when I think I've got it and give it a whirl - it doesn't happen.
So I stick to going to the "Help" section and click on "Export Transparent Image Wizard"
I've made up graphics that I think have transparent backgrounds and I download them to use the designs on products. Everything looks good, then within a few minutes, when checking how many products I've done up, there's this ugly grey background standing out that's not suppose to be there!
I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong...
I've saved the images in gif format - doesn't work.
I tried in png format - same thing.
Rather than save them to be viewed on the "web" - I have tried in "print" form because afterall, the designs are to be used to be printed/burned or digitally applied to products.
It's like looking at all the awesome CKA designs, only add a grey squared background that totally takes away from everything and stands out like a sore thumb!!!
Any help on this topic would be very much appreciated.
thanks

Attachments:
File comment: not sure if this background will show gray up front (as an example) when I upload it onto something - it doesn't come through transparent.
b-1aask2a.gif
b-1aask2a.gif [ 6.16 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:37 am

Layers are one of the most important tools Photoshop and other Graphics applications have. Learn to use them, you really can't have too many.

There's a couple ways to fix it, but some are quite complex and time consuming. The easiest way is to do this:

First Copy the Image

In PS goto File/New making sure Transparent is selected in the Contents box. Make sure the Width is set to 175 pixels x 125 pixels(numbers derived by rmb clicking on original image and selecting Properties. Hit Ok

Expand the Window so you can zoom, then rmb click on the Layer1 button to the right(assuming default setup), select Layer Properties and in name type Background

Now Create a new Layer by clicking the FD looking Icon at the bottom right or Layer/New/Layer. Where it says Name, type in a name that makes sense to you, maybe Original Pic, but whatever. If you used the Icon you'll have to name the Layer like you did in the previous step, except using "Background" as the actual name of course. ;)

Goto Edit/Paste, the pic should now show in the Window.

The easiest way to get rid of the Gray is to use the Eraser Tool. It's located on the left Toolset 1st column, 6 rows down, looks rectangular, like an old pencil eraser. If you don't see that there, then try rmb clicking on that button and Select Eraser Tool. To use this, you can adjust the Brush up top and make sure Opacity is set to 100%. Now you can simply Erase the Gray.

Just be careful and don't forget that CTRL-Z will Undo and errors, although you might want to release the Mouse Button to stop Erasing on a regular Basis so that when you Undo you don't Undo a whole bunch of work, because that sucks. :D

Zoom in/out as needed to see how things look. There are a few tricky spots, especially around the Cats Left Ear, but adjusting the Brush Size will take of it.

One thing I'd recommend is just erasing the Text at the Top, then use the Text Tool to re-add it later. It's just much easier and quicker that way.

With a little time that should work fine.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:39 am

I'm not sure how layers work in PS5 (I use CS2), but you best best is likely to open a new blank file, copy your image, and then paste the image into the new file - this should be a foolproof way to create a new layer.

The second step is to turn off the blank layer - there should be a toolbar that lists the layers, and there should be two in yours - the blank background and the image. You want to be able to turn off the background layer (usually there's a little icon that looks like an eye). Now you can erase the parts you don't want.

See these as well: Two pages - here and potentially here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:27 am

WDHIII wrote:
I cheat and use GIFWORKS image editor; simply upload your image and then click on EDIT and ADD TRANSPARENCY. A pop up will ask you to click on the portion of the pic that you want to eliminate.

Works pretty well too........ :wink:

Wow, that looks real good. Much better than the Select Colour I tried in Photoshop which resulted in losing a lot of Cat/Dog detail.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:41 am

If you'd like a newer image editor, with more of the newest features, but don't want to shell out several hundred bucks to get the newest Photoshop, try GIMP. It's an image editor and it has almost every single advanced function that Photoshop does, except it's free and open source. It comes with lots of cool special effects and filters to dress up your graphics. I used GIMP to make the "I love Canada" and "Geekette" userbars in my sig.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:52 pm

hey thanks all of you!!!! it's all sounding a tad complicated to me, pressed for time is more like it maybe, computer savvy is not my specialty :>) I'll give all of these a try over the next few days - I'm off to my blog to post some of the pictures I'm trying to void the backgrounds on - i kinda had to fill in the space that I didn't want there in the first place! Looks gawd aweful ugly if ya ask me - not quite the effect I was looking for.
hugs and thanks again - it's very appreciated :>)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:20 pm

wolfwithin wrote:
hey thanks all of you!!!! it's all sounding a tad complicated to me, pressed for time is more like it maybe, computer savvy is not my specialty :>) I'll give all of these a try over the next few days - I'm off to my blog to post some of the pictures I'm trying to void the backgrounds on - i kinda had to fill in the space that I didn't want there in the first place! Looks gawd aweful ugly if ya ask me - not quite the effect I was looking for.
hugs and thanks again - it's very appreciated :>)

Try WD's suggestion first, as long as it's Free it looks simple enough and does a great job.

Photoshop isn't really that hard, you just need to know a few of the Basics. Once you get those it's just a matter of time/experience to get more complex things done with it. If you want a good start on the basics, here's a link to an excellent Graphics(3D and 2D) website which has Video Tutorials for many things including Photoshop.

3DBuzz

You'll have to Register(same as registering to a forum, just name, email, etc), but most of the Video Tutorials are Free for downloading and an excellent way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:12 am

Quote:
Try WD's suggestion first, as long as it's Free it looks simple enough and does a great job.

I think I'm even more confused than I was, sounds so simple when you explained it...
When I began my new attempt in Adobe earlier, I started with a transparent background - then used the wand to define the specific objects I was putting over top the transparency layer one by one. That went fine. Then when I tried to save it, I couldn't save it in Gif, but only PNG - then I reopened it from the file, reused the wand for a transparent background and was able to save it as a Gif file.
Raced to my product account. It loaded in the viewer as a transparent image but as soon as it was "set" in the store, there was that wretched background showing again...

I even tried WD's suggestion as a back up and headed over to GifWorks - followed the procedure and saved it. Raced over to my account to put the design on a baby blue tshirt and alas, there it was, that dreaded background blotched right across the shirt.
When I was in my accounts editor, adding it to products, the background didn't show - I was estatic! The difference between the editor and the actual product view, is one is on the "web" and the other is for published "print".
When I use the "Export Transparency Image" from the Help Section in Adobe, it asks if the image is to be used on the web or as a print. I've tried both print and web and the designs still the same effect.
Believe it or not, it's been over a year that I've been trying to get a simple transparent background to work for me and it just isn't happening!
Maybe I'll scoot over to 3DBuzz and see if I can watch the video, I have no speakers on my pc (i get enuff noise with all the critters) but maybe seeing a visual would do the trick - show me once, I can do it, tell me how to do it and well, like I said, it's been over a year almost and I'm utterly frustrated - i neeeeed to know how to do this.
You're awesome and thanks again - the links Blue Nose added are step by step and I still screwed up~ am off to give it a whirl.... :>)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:15 am

Just to be clear: none of the 3DBuzz videos will address this situation directly, but they will give you a good understanding of the Basic workings of Photoshop.

As for your problem, I think you must be Saving it without the Transparency. When you Save As, you select GiF(I believe you've done this), but once you hit Ok it pops up another Window titled Indexed Color. At the bottom of the Top section, make sure the Transparency box is ticked. I think it might be unticked for you.

Also be sure you are opening the file you Saved, seems like a stupid mistake to make, but it happens to everyone once in awhile.