bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:38 am

$1:
NSA and FBI warn that new Linux malware threatens national security

The FBI and NSA have issued a joint report warning that Russian state hackers are using a previously unknown piece of Linux malware to stealthily infiltrate sensitive networks, steal confidential information, and execute malicious commands.

In a report that’s unusual for the depth of technical detail from a government agency, officials said the Drovorub malware is a full-featured tool kit that has gone undetected until recently. The malware connects to command and control servers operated by a hacking group that works for the GRU, Russia’s military intelligence agency that has been tied to more than a decade of brazen and advanced campaigns, many of which have inflicted serious damage to national security.

“Information in this Cybersecurity Advisory is being disclosed publicly to assist National Security System owners and the public to counter the capabilities of the GRU, an organization which continues to threaten the United States and U.S. allies as part of its rogue behavior, including their interference in the 2016 US Presidential Election as described in the 2017 Intelligence Community Assessment, Assessing Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections (Office of the Director of National Intelligence, 2017),” officials from the agencies wrote.

. . .

Agency officials said that a key defense against Drovorub is to ensure that all security updates are installed. The advisory also urged that, at a minimum, servers run Linux kernel version 3.7 or later so that organizations can use improved code-signing protections, which use cryptographic certificates to ensure that an app, driver, or module comes from a known and trusted source and hasn’t been tampered with by anyone else.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -security/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:40 am

3.7! If you are running an 8 year old kernel internet facing, perhaps you deserve to get hacked?

I admit, until recently we were running several copies of HP-UX on internet facing servers. But they were firewalled, and HP-UX is not known to be vulnerable to much in the way of modern attacks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:19 am

Undocumented feature? :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am

That was Motorolas' line. If you found a bug in a processor or other silicon they produced, it wasn't a bug if it was documented. Then it was a 'feature'. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:35 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
That was Motorolas' line. If you found a bug in a processor or other silicon they produced, it wasn't a bug if it was documented. Then it was a 'feature'. :lol:

When I was a DBA, SQL Server and probably most databases had a few "undocumented procedures"... SQL statements in development or awaiting inclusion in the standards.

Some could do real harm if you weren't careful... like "For Each Database Delete Database".

NOTE: I don't remember the correct syntax. :oops:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:42 am

for i drop_tables(*) next; ;)

I'm bad with SQL. Haven't written queries for at least a decade.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:44 pm

My name's in a book... in acknowledgement. :D

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:59 am

Everyone's name is in a book. It just depends if the letters are in the right order or not. ;)