canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanos wrote:
Can't we all just throw these evil machines out and go back to talking on the phone, or meeting together for drinks at the golf course? :?

Nope, on the phone we would recognize some of the CKA members as that whinny grade 8 kid who lives down the street and over beers we would end up killing him.
Edit: perhaps the drinks thing would be good...he’d be too young to get in!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 pm

herbie wrote:
Windows has been checking for updates for 3 days solid.
Downloaded the patch directly yesterday, it's been 'checking for installed updates' since 6 last night.
Updated a customer's laptop yesterday to Win 10, it fails checking for updates.
WTF did Msoft crash?

I just got a message from windows that service for windows 7 ended today.

I've had a new computer waiting for awhile. Plan was to buy Win 10 when 7 died. Now you've got me worried. I don't mind manual updating though. Any other problems?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:33 pm

Windows 10 is a worthy upgrade. And IIRC, it was a free upgrade from 7

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:40 pm

8O If you haven't transitioned away from Windows 7, now is definitely the time Xerxes. Support ends tomorrow.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:25 pm

How polite of you Doc.
If you haven't upgraded yet you're a lazy butt stubborn ignoroid. Turn off your computer, throw it away and go back to pens and paper.
3 upgrades behind the times, three. You're probably still using Internet Exploder too, you old poop!
If it says update, then update. If it breaks your game, system restore and update in a month, not ten years.
Or you work for the gov't. Like the agent I just dealt with this morning. Last Windows Update done was March 2015. Called me in cuz she got this paper that said she needed Flashplayer9 for the "new" software update. FFS
Just finished yesterdays (Edge wouldn't load any https site) by installing the new Edge Chromium build - now the stable release.

Fiddledog:
get your windows 7 key with keyfinder (print it, too easy to mess up writing it out)
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Then go here to get the Windows w0 update
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10
still works!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:34 pm

herbie wrote:
Fiddledog:
get your windows 7 key with keyfinder (print it, too easy to mess up writing it out)
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Then go here to get the Windows w0 update
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10
still works!

There's just one thing I don't understand.

You're making it sound like it's free with that method. If that's the case, well yeah, color me dumb. I was waiting until the last minute rather than pay and kind of hoping another operating system would pop up before 7 dies. Every day gets a little closer to when Windows 10 cancels service too is the way I was looking at it. I was hoping maybe the next version would pop up before 7 dies. Then I'd buy that.

But hey, yeah, if there's a way to get 10 for free I'd do that. I'm wondering though if I click those links to upgrade online will Microsoft want a credit card number before I give them my final click?

If so I think I'll just go to London Drugs, give them the hundred bucks and get the Windows 10 flash drive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm

I updated from Windows 7 to 10 for free... a lot of people got it for free. :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm

I haven't even opened the box on the computer I'm putting Windows 10 on. It's about 3 years old but unused. Would I still need a keyfinder?

I'm just going to use the old one for storage.

But thanks. I'll try what herb recommends on the old one. If something screws up no harm, no foul. I'll know better with the new old one.

Edit

Just read Xerxes post. I get it now. Thanks guys. I deserve herb's beratement. How did I not know it was free? Don't answer that. It's rhetorical.

Those dirty crooks at London Drugs were going to charge me a 100 bucks.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:48 pm

I suggested keyfinder as the sticker with the Win7 code may be hidden or worn. I either use keyfinder or take a pic of the sticker with the phone (to enlarge it).
It still works free. MSoft wants rid of Win7 & 8
$100 is a fairly good deal, to buy a copy of Windows 10 and do it yourself is even more!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:37 pm

You still do it yourself from London Drugs.

The 100 bucks is for the copy of Windows 10. It comes on a flash drive.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:35 am

The link I posted gives you the option to make a bootable USB flash drive installer. If you've got more than 1 computer, its handy.
To upgrade, just plug it in when Win7 is running and click setup, you only have to boot from it for a new setup.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
8O If you haven't transitioned away from Windows 7, now is definitely the time Xerxes. Support ends tomorrow.

Thanks. But I think you misread my post. I got Windows 10 the day it was released. It’s probably the best OS they’ve released since XP IMO.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:45 am

xerxes wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Thanks. But I think you misread my post. I got Windows 10 the day it was released. It’s probably the best OS they’ve released since XP IMO.

Yea, I thought you were still considering the move. :oops:

I think it's the worst. :( Telemetry constantly giving Microsoft insight into what I'm doing, no choice about what patches to install and when. It's big brother's wet dream. And there is basically no way to avoid it, if you are a gamer. :(

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:03 pm

It works better than any other Windows version. So long as you don't count the fact the Troubleshooters still NEVER fucking work and all the small annoying little things that haven't been addressed ever.
If Big Brother worries you, you better switch to Linux ASAP.

Got an annoying PC on my desk that wouldn't Windows Update, did the upgrade to 10 and it still won't. Only option is fresh install but they're "my email doesn't have a password' type of people....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
xerxes wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

Yea, I thought you were still considering the move. :oops:

I think it's the worst. :( Telemetry constantly giving Microsoft insight into what I'm doing, no choice about what patches to install and when. It's big brother's wet dream. And there is basically no way to avoid it, if you are a gamer. :(

You can block it with a DNS based blocker.

https://github.com/crazy-max/WindowsSpyBlocker

You can take the addresses this blocks and just throw it in a pi-hole, no more windows telemetry.