CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

What Type Of Internet Connection Do You Use At Home?
28Kb/s (I hope no one still uses this!)  0%  [ 0 ]
56Kb/s (Regular Dial Up)  7%  [ 1 ]
DSL  13%  [ 2 ]
Cable  80%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 15

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:34 pm

My family is possibly planning a move. My parents have always wanted acreage, and we found some. Problem for me is...there is no cable or even DSL connection where we'd move to. I don't want to go to dial up because all the gaming I do, I wouldn't be able to anymore. So I did some research and we could get satellite internet. It provides a connection of 500Kb/s (equal with cable, and 8 times faster than dial up).My parents said they'd pay for install (which can be as high as $800) but I'd pay 2/3 the monthly payments of $90. Now I don't want to fork out the money unless I know that it is really good. I'd e-mailed one of the providers asking if speed is changed with weather conditions. Like, how could would it be if I couldn't use the internet when it's stormy? They have yet to respond...
I figured someone has to have satellite internet on this site. I know a few of you live in rural areas. For those who have never even heard of this, the site I've been looking at is: www.canadiansatelliteinternet.com

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:41 am

now you know (I think I`m right ) that you have to have a dialup account to ....because these big companys won`t let you upload onto there dishes .....thts why I didn`t go satalite ......didn`t want the dialup with it

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:33 pm

How would that work? Your saying you have to have a dial up connection to use a 500Kb/s connection thats always on? I don't know about that one... Anyone else heard something like this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:40 pm

Stone is right you need to have dial up in order to get the internet with sattelite
I was talking to a buddy just the other day about it . As I wanted to hook up my bell system as I am not in a apt with a cable internet system as yet . I have been on cable and had to go to dial up which I hate with a passion .
So yeah you need a phone .

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:51 pm

So then it will still be slow internet?? Then what would be the advantage of hooking up a sattelite rather than just using dial up?

Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:53 pm

Well DMP08. Things have changed a bit with satelite. I do know you can now download and upload. I have a friend who lives in Embrun, Ontario which is a rural community and at the time did not have cable or dsl service there so he went with the satelite service. He says he has the same speed as you would with a cable connection. I will give him a call this evening when he gets home from work and ask him what company he is dealing with and get you the info.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:24 pm

it`s still fast for internet anyway because when you go to websites and stuff you are downloading the information not uploading .....satalite will let you download at a high rate they just won`t let you upload ......
but ofaolain is right things have changed so I could be off my mark :|

Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:34 pm

here you go. 2 way satellite internet service

http://centre.telemanage.ca/links.nsf/key/Direcway

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Thank you A LOT. It certainly isn't a cheap system. I need internet though. I'll do some more research.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:21 am

ofaolain ofaolain:
Well DMP08. Things have changed a bit with satelite. I do know you can now download and upload. I have a friend who lives in Embrun, Ontario which is a rural community and at the time did not have cable or dsl service there so he went with the satelite service. He says he has the same speed as you would with a cable connection. I will give him a call this evening when he gets home from work and ask him what company he is dealing with and get you the info.

no fricken way, my uncle lives there and he just got this about a month ago....he loves it.
it's wierd that they don't have cable interent there though

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:21 am

CntDwnToExtn, I am moving to an area uncovered by cable or DSL internet. The reason is, mainly, is lack of people. Not enough demand to run a new line. Also, they would have to run the line through the Native Reserve and that could cause problems and extra costs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:24 pm

DMP08 DMP08:
CntDwnToExtn, I am moving to an area uncovered by cable or DSL internet. The reason is, mainly, is lack of people. Not enough demand to run a new line. Also, they would have to run the line through the Native Reserve and that could cause problems and extra costs.

How many miles from cable are you? You would be amazed at how fast cable or lines can be plowed underground now.The government at one time pledged high speed internet to every community in Canada no matter what the cost.(think it was Allen Rocks plan). Dont know what came of it but I would check it out anyways.Plus if your folks run a small bussiness out of there home you may be able to write part of the cost off.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:26 pm

We found something yesterday. It is LIKE sattelite, but cheaper. It sereves our valley. What it is is radio signal. We have to talk with the company, because right now we are just outside the service area. But we are going to see if they will put a tower on our property.
As for high speed internet in every community. The city we are in has it, but we are moving to right outside city limits by like 10 km.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:53 pm

DMP08 DMP08:
We found something yesterday. It is LIKE sattelite, but cheaper. It sereves our valley. What it is is radio signal. We have to talk with the company, because right now we are just outside the service area. But we are going to see if they will put a tower on our property.
As for high speed internet in every community. The city we are in has it, but we are moving to right outside city limits by like 10 km.

Some want slow,some want fast.

$1:
High Speed Internet Is Too Fast For Old Gamer

COMPUTER DEN-- Jeremy Glavine is struggling to compete in the frag-or-be-fragged world of multiplayer gaming. Jeremy, a soft-core gamer, believes that his Internet connection is responsible for his poor performance on public gaming servers. Jeremy recently upgraded to ADSL, but now the games are just too fast for him.

Jeremy Glavine and his cat "Shooter" can't keep up with the fast-paced gaming speeds that ADSL provides.

Jeremy noticed the difference in speed the very first time he connected.

"I'm playing on this Serious Sam server, and everyone's just 'whipping' by me," described Jeremy. "The other players are moving so fast I can't track them, and I'm dead before I can say 'Wolfenstein'. I'm basically getting my ass kicked because I can't keep up with the speed of this blazing high-speed Internet connection."

Jeremy didn't have this problem when he was on dial-up. He still lost, but he was able to blame it on high ping rates, packet loss, and his own limited bandwidth.

Read the rest of the story here

heh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:45 pm

sattelit's not good for gaming, even though it can reach speeds of cable and dsl, satellite internet starts off low then speeds up, that doesn't work well at all for gaming because you need the constant speed