bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:22 pm

martin14 martin14:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Yeah but contract law is not at what's issue here, what's at issue is that under the new law, even if you pay full price for a device, have NO contract, you can still be penalized.

Wrong.

How so?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:24 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
martin14 martin14:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Yeah but contract law is not at what's issue here, what's at issue is that under the new law, even if you pay full price for a device, have NO contract, you can still be penalized.

Wrong.

How so?

If you pay full price, the phone will come unlocked.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm

^^^

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Brenda Brenda:

As someone who always buys their phones outright and upfront without ever taking contracts this is total and utter nonsense in my experiences of buying over 8 phones upfront from 3 different companies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Brenda Brenda:

martin14 martin14:
^^^

Ya but

1) YOU won't be able to unlock the phone...that will still be illegal. You'll have to ask them to give you an unlocked version (not necessarily the same thing). And that's if they even offer unlocking at all. There's nothing in there that says unlocked phones will even be widely available, only a few models and providers are even making that option available. Maybe after DMCA is fully implemented they will just go the way of the dinosaur since the alternative is illegal.

As Curtman said, this is like buying a car, paying full price and not being allowed to open the hood unless you buy a special "unlocked" model.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:44 pm

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
Brenda Brenda:

As someone who always buys their phones outright and upfront without ever taking contracts this is total and utter nonsense in my experiences of buying over 8 phones upfront from 3 different companies.

You do realize we are talking USA here, right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Brenda Brenda:

martin14 martin14:
^^^

Ya but

1) YOU won't be able to unlock the phone...that will still be illegal. You'll have to ask them to give you an unlocked version (not necessarily the same thing). And that's if they even offer unlocking at all. There's nothing in there that says unlocked phones will even be widely available, only a few models and providers are even making that option available. Maybe after DMCA is fully implemented they will just go the way of the dinosaur since the alternative is illegal.

As Curtman said, this is like buying a car, paying full price and not being allowed to open the hood unless you buy a special "unlocked" model.

YOU won't need to unlock the phone, it already will be unlocked and you can take it to any provider you want.

You are not able now here in Canada either. You will have to ask your provider here too, and if they say "no", you gotta figure out another way. Unless you buy a code to unlock it. I don't know if it is legal or not, but I like the idea that when I cross the border, I have a phone that works on a US network with a US pay as you go sim instead of having to pay $1.45/min roaming costs, which I think is ridiculous... 10 kms as the crows fly. That's the difference for me.

(although I do agree this law is ridiculous. Again, who is going to enforce it and how?)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Unlocking isn't just about taking it to another carrier, it's about installing custom hacks and open-source aps among other things.

As another example, my GF has a Rogers iphone and got it unlocked (there are any number of independent, slightly shady shops that will do it for a small fee) so that she could put a European provider's pre-paid SIM card in it when she travelled to Europe. If this law were in Canada, what she did would be illegal. She paid full price for her phone. She has another SIM that she uses for US travel. Rogers has a disincentive to offer this because they want you to buy their "travel package".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:27 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Unlocking isn't just about taking it to another carrier, it's about installing custom hacks and open-source aps among other things.
I think you are mixing up "unlocking" and "jailbreaking".
$1:
As another example, my GF has a Rogers iphone and got it unlocked (there are any number of independent, slightly shady shops that will do it for a small fee) so that she could put a European provider's pre-paid SIM card in it when she travelled to Europe. If this law were in Canada, what she did would be illegal. She paid full price for her phone. She has another SIM that she uses for US travel. Rogers has a disincentive to offer this because they want you to buy their "travel package".

I bought a code online. Worked like a charm. A friend sent me a US sim. I would definitely buy a Dutch sim too.

Funny thing is, that when we moved here, we brought our Dutch triple band phones, with sim, and asked around for Canadian sim's to put in the phones. No one could sell me sims 5 years ago :lol:
In Holland, btw, at least then, all cells were unlocked. Don't know how it is now, but I doubt that has changed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm

$1:

Lol yeah probably. Doesn't the latter require the former?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:

Lol yeah probably. Doesn't the latter require the former?

Nope. And, according to the article, jailbreaking stays legal.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Brenda Brenda:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:

I bought a code online. Worked like a charm. A friend sent me a US sim. I would definitely buy a Dutch sim too.

Funny thing is, that when we moved here, we brought our Dutch triple band phones, with sim, and asked around for Canadian sim's to put in the phones. No one could sell me sims 5 years ago :lol:
In Holland, btw, at least then, all cells were unlocked. Don't know how it is now, but I doubt that has changed.

7-11 sells them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Brenda Brenda:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:

7-11 sells them.

US sims? Or Canadian ones?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:57 pm

martin14 martin14:
Curtman Curtman:

Imagine the situation where you buy a new car. The hood has a lock on it, and the government decides it's illegal for you remove that lock. You must rely on Ford/GM, and you can be thrown in jail for attempting to repair it yourself.

This is what digital locks legislation does to technology.

Stupid! If I bought it, I'll do what I damn well please with it.

Depends.

If you paid cash for the car, you might be right.

If the phone is tied to a contract, it can be argued ownership of the phone
doesn't transfer until the contract is finished.

What if the bank put the lock on your car instead of the manufacturer? You'd be ok with that?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:58 pm

This is a slap in the face. If I want to unlock my phone, then I'll unlock my fucking phone. It's my property. It is not the property of the provider, why is this even being made illegal? What is the point? Just technologically ignorant fucks in government fucking with our shit, again. Fuck these clowns.