Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:58 am

I have Windows update set to automatically update drivers. while I was downloading CC cleaner update, they offered a program that will check and update your drivers. It said I had 8 drivers out of date. I need to register to have the program update the drivers. Anybody think this is a good idea? Can windows update miss drivers that need updating?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:05 am

YEah you need to check for updated drivers 100 times a second all the time or you'll die.
DON'T.
Waste of time and almost ALL are bundled with more crapware.
Helper programs are for the helpless.
Toolbars are for complete tools.
Speedup tools are for the slow witted.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:06 am

I had Windows 7 update drivers for my AMD video card and Razer mouse.

Wasn't a big deal. It can cause problems, as I've had it install network drivers that were incompatible with the NIC on the mainboard and it hosed that system till I re-installed the OEM drivers.

^^ What Herbie said. If Windows is asking to update drivers, OK. If it's one of those 'free' tools, don't let it and uninstall the free tool. They've gone 'dark side' and can't be trusted.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks guys, that's what I was worried about.

CC cleaner is OK tho, right?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:02 pm

andyt wrote:

I'm going with 'no'. I don't use it myself, but if a 'free' app is asking you to update things it didn't ask before, then some advertiser has most likely paid them to insert crapware into the program.

There is practically no such thing as 'free' software anymore. You can get some that is fairly decent and free (and you can pay for to get more features), but those are getting to be very rare. The typical software starts off as free and helpful and useful, but eventually they get taken over or paid gobs of money to 'sell out' and do bad things to your PC. I've seen it entirely too often.

I recall things like 'Registry Cleaner' and 'RealVideo/RealPlayer' went like that, and just became another vector for crapware that ends up being nearly impossible to get rid of. Even Adobe Reader tries to put McAfee crapware on your PC now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:03 pm

herbie wrote:
YEah you need to check for updated drivers 100 times a second all the time or you'll die.
DON'T.
Waste of time and almost ALL are bundled with more crapware.
Helper programs are for the helpless.
Toolbars are for complete tools.
Speedup tools are for the slow witted.

PREACH IT SISTER :rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
andyt wrote:

I'm going with 'no'. I don't use it myself, but if a 'free' app is asking you to update things it didn't ask before, then some advertiser has most likely paid them to insert crapware into the program.

There is practically no such thing as 'free' software anymore. You can get some that is fairly decent and free (and you can pay for to get more features), but those are getting to be very rare. The typical software starts off as free and helpful and useful, but eventually they get taken over or paid gobs of money to 'sell out' and do bad things to your PC. I've seen it entirely too often.

I recall things like 'Registry Cleaner' and 'RealVideo/RealPlayer' went like that, and just became another vector for crapware that ends up being nearly impossible to get rid of. Even Adobe Reader tries to put McAfee crapware on your PC now.

CCleaner actually is okay, people use it to clear empty space or remove needless temporary files. When I bother having it, I pirate the "paid" version. I haven't noticed whatever the hell andy is talking about, I avoid things like that. CCleaner never gave me issues and I usually install it with Malwarebytes, VLC, Firefox, BitTorrent, etc as soon as I get a Windows computer.

I downloaded CheatEngine the other day, had to refuse three toolbars/browser hijackers before the installer did its one fucking job.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 pm

I was about to reply and the site went offline again.
CCleaner's just OK. Don't use it either, I have specialty programs that do just one thing only, and only when I tell them to.
Like here's a good one for spyware - Adwcleaner - download it from bleeping computer cuz I don't trust other sites anymore.
Especially Cnet

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Yeah, I feel like I remember download.com being useful and reputable. Now it's a good place to start to get all your favourite computer problems.

I am more trusting of pirated zip files uploaded to 4Shared or TPB than I am of any 'helpful' software sites. And it's done me pretty damn good for several years now. Bleeping computer is solid.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:10 pm

My laptop runs Windows 7 and CC Cleaner like AVG isn't bad for what they are free programs. Apparently if you're running Windows 7 or 8 you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:23 pm

When it's officially released. Running the prerelease on VM it seems okay.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:43 pm

A decade ago I constantly updated Drivers. What I learned at the time is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That said, if you have recently bought a newly released Video Card or Motherboard, you probably want to update often as Bugs/Tweaks are regularly being released for them(especially Video Cards). After a year or so that becomes far less necessary.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Saw a couple of drivers on my way to work today that could use updating.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Robair wrote:
Saw a couple of drivers on my way to work today that could use updating.

Already playing golf in your neck of the woods. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:17 pm

There's more than a little malware out there that looks like "official" Microsoft product. If it doesn't automatically update, DON'T TOUCH IT!