canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:20 pm

My laptop is running Windows 7 Professional and I keep getting my PC is compatible to upgrade to Windows 10. Has anyone made this upgrade and what were the pros and cons?

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 87.14 KiB | Viewed 61 times ]
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:23 pm

I shut off the popup KB3035583 in windows update. Not broke, not fixing it. Lol. I was sick of getting harrassed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 pm

I really like Windows 10. It's totally sped up my system (especially the boot times) and it fixed a lot of the annoying GUI features from Windows 8.

I'd recommend it. It is free after all. Not the usual few hundred bucks MS charges for an OS upgrade.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:09 pm

I've tried to install it 3 times on my laptop and it's crashed the system 3 times LOL

I've done everything Windows and various other tech sites told me to do to get it to upgrade and still no luck yet my computer apparently meets all the requirements.

They can keep it. I won't upgrade on my gaming computer either after the issues with the laptop.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:50 pm

I upgraded my wife's laptop from 8.1 to 10 and it's pretty good, but I'm not upgrading my Win 7 netbook.

I think it depends on your system and what you want going forward.

You should ask yourself things like do you have more than enough RAM for the update? To run future updates (SP1, SP2, etc)

Do you want the ability to use touchscreens and MS apps?

If you want a more exhaustive list of why/why not, I'm sure it can be found easily via Google.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:40 am

Well, it's an improvement over Windows 8. It has a start button, but the start menu is the same graphic tile crap is Windows 8. Windows 7 start menu is better. Windows 10 removes Solitaire, Minesweeper, Hearts, Media Centre, Media Player. If you want to play a DVD, or want those games back, you have to buy them from the Microsoft store. They also removed Desktop Gadgets, and device drivers for floppy drives, both USB and built-in. And they removed Virtual PC with Windows XP mode.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:25 am

I won't update, I value my privacy too much. It's also a full time job eliminating all the 'telemetry' updates Microsoft recently has put into Windows 7 and 8. And they are getting right sneaky with those!

My next system will have Fedora 23, and I'll be using VMWare Workstation to keep a virtual copy of my Windows Gaming machine running when I need it.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ng-edge/2/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:09 am

Ditto. I'm not doing W10.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:56 pm

I upgraded my laptop and have yet to see a real difference between 10 and Windows 8

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Windows 10 violates your privacy? 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:14 pm

Windows 10 is an improvement over Windows 8 but IMHO it is not an improvement over Windows 7.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:16 pm

BRAH wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... microsoft/

If you get something nowadays for 'free', then it's because you are the commodity being sold.;)

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:40 pm

I tried Windows 10, lost my Freecell so went back. I wasn't in the mood to learn the new operating system and since I don't have touchscreen capability I really didn't see the point of upgrading. I'm happy enough with the 7 or 8 I have now.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:43 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
BRAH wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... microsoft/

If you get something nowadays for 'free', then it's because you are the commodity being sold.;)

Agreed, despite Gates' philanthropic title, I don't believe people invested all that cash without weighing the financial gains vs loses.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:37 pm

TINSTAAFL.