bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Do what you gotta do. Just back your important stuff up. No guarantees it won't happen again.

sadly, I am aware of this.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 am

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Do what you gotta do. Just back your important stuff up. No guarantees it won't happen again.

If it weren't for computers letting out the magic blue smoke, I wouldn't have had a very interesting career. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:24 am

llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

You're security... I'm sure you can "find" computer parts and/or a computer at work. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:27 am

raydan raydan:
llama66 llama66:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

You're security... I'm sure you can "find" computer parts and/or a computer at work. :D

1. That's "confiscate".. because... [shuffles deck] ...they are a security threat
2. There are no "performance" parts in the recycling bins.
3. I may or may not have already conducted a "security sweep" of the recycling bins already.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:28 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
xerxes xerxes:
Just for clarification, i don’t have have a laptop. I have a pc which is maybe three years old and still runs really well apart from this weirdness.

Principal is still the same, but RAM is easier to find. ;)

llama66 llama66:
So my PSU nuked my Video card on friday.

So I think I need to replace the PSU as well (obviously) as the GPU.

Minimum. As a Computer Engineer, I can tell you that if the PSU failed and took out the GPU (which is should be designed not to do) then you can't trust most of the parts in your computer.

Power surges have a certain randomness that just defies troubleshooting. Replacing the fried parts might work, but also you may be saddled with random other problems that will creep in over the coming weeks and months. I'd replace it all. :(

And, get an external drive caddy to put your old HDD into, so you can get your data back.
I always told people, don't skimp on your power supply. That shit is your heart, it goes and it can destroy every part of your machine. Doesn't have to be super high wattage, but just get something of good quality.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
xerxes xerxes:
Just for clarification, i don’t have have a laptop. I have a pc which is maybe three years old and still runs really well apart from this weirdness.

Principal is still the same, but RAM is easier to find. ;)

llama66 llama66:
So my PSU nuked my Video card on friday.

So I think I need to replace the PSU as well (obviously) as the GPU.

Minimum. As a Computer Engineer, I can tell you that if the PSU failed and took out the GPU (which is should be designed not to do) then you can't trust most of the parts in your computer.

Power surges have a certain randomness that just defies troubleshooting. Replacing the fried parts might work, but also you may be saddled with random other problems that will creep in over the coming weeks and months. I'd replace it all. :(

And, get an external drive caddy to put your old HDD into, so you can get your data back.
I always told people, don't skimp on your power supply. That shit is your heart, it goes and it can destroy every part of your machine. Doesn't have to be super high wattage, but just get something of good quality.

The Power supply was OEM. I have done no modifications beyond putting a SSD in it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 am

xerxes xerxes:
Got a question for all the smart people here.

For the last little while, whenever I turn my PC on from sleep mode it takes a good long while before its responsive. The screen comes on and I can move my cursor, but I can't do anything else.

So I figured I must have downloaded too much crap, so I wiped the drive the other day. And it still does it. I've looked the problem up online and have yet to find a solution that applies or works.

So now I'm perplexed as to what to do. My first inclinations now are to either upgrade my RAM and/or switch to an SSD. Any suggestions?

1. Go to the drivers and driver store files and save them to an external disk.

2. Delete your partitions and format the drive so it has only one partition on it.

3. Install a clean copy of Windows 10 using the license key on your computer (DO NOT use the 'restore disk' - use a clean copy of Windows 10)

4. Copy the drivers from your external drive to their proper locations.

5. Try it again.

See, I've had this problem in the past and it's almost always some sort of crapware on the machine that can't be hibernated. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:31 am

llama66 llama66:
The Power supply was OEM. I have done no modifications beyond putting a SSD in it.

Ah oem power supplies. Can be hit and miss. When I'd be doing builds for people they'd put together a 2000 dollar system and want a $55 uncertified no-name brand tier power supply in it. Was baffling.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am

I'm looking at a $61 EVGA 500w PSU.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:41 am

Don't matter desktop or laptop. Sleep mode can be one of biggest PITAs, turn it off. Sttings, Power Options, Change Plan.
A 256GB SSD will cost $50 an restart faster cold than your old HD ever did from sleep. Might need an adapter tray or cable, $10. Use the old drive as storage
A 3 yr old system probably has DDR3, also cheap. If you've got less than 4GB, add some.
Won't kill you to spend $150 to end the annoyance.
And DON'T, just DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT a $400 new laptop. Refurbished from a major outfit, but not new at that price.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:58 am

llama66 llama66:

EVGA makes some solid stuff. I assume it is their 500B model. That's fine in most normal systems.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 am

Tricks Tricks:
llama66 llama66:

EVGA makes some solid stuff. I assume it is their 500B model. That's fine in most normal systems.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H33 ... EEQB&psc=1

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:29 am

llama66 llama66:
Tricks Tricks:
llama66 llama66:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H33 ... EEQB&psc=1

What's going to be behind it? Processor/video card.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:44 am

Older i5 and most likely a GTX 1660

Old PSU was a 420w.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:04 pm

llama66 llama66:
Older i5 and most likely a GTX 1660

Old PSU was a 420w.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6817438012

I'd say make the 10 dollar jump and get a higher cert. Normally comes with better regulation and better protection of parts so shit doesn't go pop. Also 2 extra years of warranty with EVGA for that one.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next