canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:02 am

Has anyone picked this up yet? I got it from a friend and I've been playing around with it. Its not to bad, but it would seem that my vid card is not supported either yet or at all. I'm running a 128mb Radeon 9200 and its just not on the list for updates.

All and all, aside frm the vid problem Vista doesn't seem to bad. Although with media player I get this weird distorted line in full screen mode at times, I assume because of the lack of updates for my card.

Anyone else tried 'er out?

Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 am

Yes I have it and so do some of my other friends too.

Last edited by Mysterio10 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:24 am

I really can't think of any other computer OSes called Vista so yea I'm taking about it.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:39 am

I used it, I hated it. It was on my computer for about a month before I reinstalled Xp.

From what I've heard, I'm not touching it for a good long while. Some companies are no longer selling Vista with their computers because they have a 1:1 return rate on new machines that are running it. I've talked to a lot of people in business that absolutly hate it and are reverting back to Xp.

Vista has other things that make it retarded, Ie, the EULA (you know, the thing you have to click "I Accept" to use it). I bet you never read it? Have a read of it. I would bet money 90% of the people who use Vista wouldn't install it if they read and understood the EULA.

I could go on, but yea. Vista. Sucks.

Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:42 am

If you wan't to know more about vista then go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:52 am

I've Vista on my new notebook and I'm using it now a week or so. What troubles me most is that is doesn't connect with some older wireless access points. I had to buy a router that was Vista compatible (although the website said that my old one was Vista ready). In the shop where I bought the notebook it wouldn't connect with the network either and they also had to replace the router.
Till now I say, I like XP pro better, but maybe in the future after downloading a trillion upgrades it will become better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:57 am

It's a standard windows OS so that means it will be nice and stable about six months before the next great windows OS gets released.....sad thing about this post is i am not even trying to be a smart ass....just telling the truth.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:58 am

Canadarc Canadarc:
I've Vista on my new notebook and I'm using it now a week or so. What troubles me most is that is doesn't connect with some older wireless access points. I had to buy a router that was Vista compatible (although the website said that my old one was Vista ready). In the shop where I bought the notebook it wouldn't connect with the network either and they also had to replace the router.
Till now I say, I like XP pro better, but maybe in the future after downloading a trillion upgrades it will become better.

Vista isn't the problem with the WLAN connection - the Intel Centrino chip is. Centrino is not compatible with older WLAN routers as they are not as secure and instead of replacing the router you just go to the router manufacturer's website and download the new firmware for the router, install it as directed, configure your WLAN, configure your machine to connect to it, and you're good to go with a much more secure connection than before.

Also, upgrading an XP machine to Vista is silly as XP is perfectly fine. Just buy Vista when you get a new machine that comes pre-loaded with it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 am

What gets me I bought a new computer, and we use RR (road runner) the vista system seems not to want to load up pages, is slow and just a pain in the ass. I know its the vista system because my room mate has the xp on the wlan with not even half the problems I'm having. I want xp back and a smooth upload of internet pages. The moment I get the money together I'm getting rid of vista and going back to xp.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:04 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Canadarc Canadarc:

Vista isn't the problem with the WLAN connection - the Intel Centrino chip is. Centrino is not compatible with older WLAN routers as they are not as secure and instead of replacing the router you just go to the router manufacturer's website and download the new firmware for the router, install it as directed, configure your WLAN, configure your machine to connect to it, and you're good to go with a much more secure connection than before.

Also, upgrading an XP machine to Vista is silly as XP is perfectly fine. Just buy Vista when you get a new machine that comes pre-loaded with it.

Okay, it's becoming a bit more clear for me.

But I tried to reload the firmware and it didn't work. (Couldn't get it in the router, so I simply brought it back, complaining that it didn't work, got my money back.)

BTW, I've the Intel Pentium dual-core T2060 and 2GB DDR2, bought it new and vista was installed. Has this processor(s) the same problem?

But what me worries if I'm in a hotel/motel or whatever and I can't enter the network.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:21 pm

I've bought 7 copeis of Vista now, for family and some clients, If you have a new and decent computer, I thinkg vista is great.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:23 pm

Is it my Vista system that is causing pages not to upload ect... Mine is a new computer with the first version of vista I've done all the updates I get from HP and other auto updates. I use internet Explorer on the computer. Is it not compatible and I should be using fireforx?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:30 pm

Strat of course you should be using Firefox. I haven't had any problems with webpages. So that may be an ISP issue on your end.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:58 pm

Figures. Stupid RoadRunner. Once I get my own place again I'm right back to Verizon even if its just the Dial up mode till they hook in the fiber system.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:23 pm

I'm switching my Desktop back to Xp tomorrow. Vista is nice, but it would probably work best on a brand new system with a decent vid upgrade. Plus I got the strangest Error when I was trying to install Acrobat; it told me I didn't have enough free space in my temp folder...which made no sense.