canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:27 am

andyt wrote:
So under "recent update history" I found KB3035583 pretty easily as having been installed on 07/10/15. But when I go to view installed updates in the control panel, there are not updates listed for that date. WTF?

That's why I said "Beware of the dreaded 583" a while back.

If you choose to 'hide' that update, that all the other 'Install Windows 10' and telemetry updates depend on, they like to increment the version by .01 so that it looks to Windows Update as a 'new' update and 'unhides' it.

It disguises itself so that it's hard to uninstall, and might also be listed by the date that it was originally installed. That's why the script I posted earlier is superior, it doesn't care about the 'uninstall' interface.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:12 am

andyt wrote:
So under "recent update history" I found KB3035583 pretty easily as having been installed on 07/10/15. But when I go to view installed updates in the control panel, there are not updates listed for that date. WTF?

Yea, I ran into that myself. Turned out it's a name issue. When you sort for name, first you get "Security Update for Microsoft Windows" sorted in numerical order, then all the "Update for Microsoft Windows" separately but also in numerical order. Look for...
"Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)"

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:26 am

I'm testing Spybot Anti-Beacon for my office right now.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

It blocks all of the MS telemetry except the "Consumer Experience Improvement Program" if you've previously given that beastie permission to run.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:18 am

BartSimpson wrote:
I'm testing Spybot Anti-Beacon for my office right now.

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

It blocks all of the MS telemetry except the "Consumer Experience Improvement Program" if you've previously given that beastie permission to run.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

This looks promising too. More of a utility though.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Winnipegger wrote:
andyt wrote:

Yea, I ran into that myself. Turned out it's a name issue. When you sort for name, first you get "Security Update for Microsoft Windows" sorted in numerical order, then all the "Update for Microsoft Windows" separately but also in numerical order. Look for...
"Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)"

Ok, thanks. Found it, did it. Now let's hope they don't sneak a renamed version by me. I'm too scared to try Dr Caleb's fix.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:32 am

I dunno what the fuss is all about. It's the snazziest, slickest and fastest OS by MS yet and its for free! I've been using Windows 10 mobile for around 8 months now so when I upgraded to 10 on the PC the learning curve was 0, the cross platform integration is brilliant. Only complain was it took am hour to install even with a I7 with 12GB ram and 20mbit connection. But once it was done, Im absolutely loving it. Lots of new great features.

I think some people are just way too paranoid.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:25 am

And those of us who do Information Security for a living realize we aren't paranoid enough. ;)

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:36 am

andyt wrote:
I'm too scared to try Dr Caleb's fix.

Looked at the script. It does just uninstall Windows updates. A lot of them though, haven't gone through the list.
DrCaleb wrote:
And those of us who do Information Security for a living realize we aren't paranoid enough. ;)

You'll understand why I'm paranoid.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:57 am

Winnipegger wrote:
andyt wrote:
I'm too scared to try Dr Caleb's fix.

Looked at the script. It does just uninstall Windows updates. A lot of them though, haven't gone through the list.

It's just the command line version of the Windows Update Uninstaller. Same thing as if you had used the GUI. All the updates listed are related to Windows 10 upgrade or Windows Telemetry.

Winnipegger wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:

You'll understand why I'm paranoid.

I'll not fault someone for being as open and free with their information as they want. If their life is an open book, and they like it that way - more power to them. But do it with open eyes!

I heard too many stories from people who grew up in WWII Germany and later, in East Germany, to put such a low price on my privacy. Sure, odds are nothing bad will happen with that information. But I also know I can't get that information back once it's been given away.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 am

desertdude wrote:
I dunno what the fuss is all about. It's the snazziest, slickest and fastest OS by MS yet and its for free!

I think some people are just way too paranoid.

If the OS is free then how do you think Microsoft is making money off of it?

They've embedded a dozen different transponders into the program to monitor your internet habits, your program usage, and to monitor what times of day you use your computer. They're also providing an "experience" that discovers and links your computer usage at work, at home, at the Starbucks in the Burj Dubai, and on your phone.

You think maybe this information assembled into a dossier on you might be valuable to advertisers and your government? Perhaps even more valuable than just selling you an OS for your computer?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:49 am

seems to me that at some point people will have to give in as older systems become dysfunctional. Seems that this is the future. Maybe to log on in the future you'll have to do your two minutes of hate and some calisthenics before you can use your computer.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 am

I gave in and upgraded to XP a few years ago. Still have XP. As long as Firefox works on XP and has updates, and Flash Player works. I don't need to upgrade Microsoft Office; I have Office XP which has 2002 versions. I have an installation CD for Office 2003, but haven't used it. Not many new features. I don't like the ribbon, so don't want Office 2007/2010/2013. There's a plug-in that allows Office 2002 & 2003 to use the new file formats for Office 2007/2010/2013. So I don't have to upgrade.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:40 am

I have nothing to hide, they can monitor my internet habits all they want and I actually prefer targeted advertisements and many times I've found very useful stuff from them rather than miracle drugs to enlarge your schlong all over the place.

This site itself has advertisments, so what? I understand the owner of this site needs to make money and thats just fine by me. The internet today is basically funded by advs and too is fine by me.

I find this integrated experience quite handy. When I got a new phone I didn't have import all my contacts, msgs, pics, set it up the way I want to etc etc, like before. All I had to do was log in using my MS id and rest was taken care of.

If you're so paranoid, maybe you shouldn't be using computers at all, specially the internet.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:38 am

Targeted ads are fun. I was shopping for a Jeep in 2014 and 90% of the ads I get are for Jeep dealers. Like I buy one every week.
Had to service a Joe Paranoid's system, had his history set to clear, etc. Half his ads were "Skinny red-head loves anal, would like to meet you".... :D Those are hilarious as I live in a really small town, and they always include "in (name of your town) and there's like THREE skinny redheads - two in their 50s and one in a wheelchair....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:11 pm

I do a lot of looking around at DAWs, Audio VSTs, computer music related stuff and a local amazon type online shop and the advs kinda keep me upto date as to what's new, are there any good sales coming up. I recently bought Spintires from steam for $7 because of a 48hrs sale I was alerted to. Otherwise I would have to the full $30. So yeah I like targeted advs.

And Win 10 is free only for a another month or so. Then its getting paid. And I don'tthink anything will change with the paid version. And eventually people will have to upgrade. So might as well do it for free now or pay for it later.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next