bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:08 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windo ... -1.3430469

Meaning it will download and install automatically whether you want it or not.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote:

Not quite correct. If you have your settings in Windows 7/8/8.1 at default of "Download Updates but let me choose..." then when you shut down your computer it installs without asking.

If you change Windows Update to "Never Update" and then do it manually, then it won't install. This is what I changed my systems to when they started deploying all the 'telemetry' stuff they use to spy on you.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Can someone re-explain what the pros and cons of Win10 are?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:23 pm

Canadian_Mind wrote:
Can someone re-explain what the pros and cons of Win10 are?

Pro: Windows 10 is nice and shiny, and has lots of goodies. And it's 'free'.

Con: Because it's 'free', you are the commodity being sold. Everything you do, everything you use Windows for is tracked, and reported back to Microsoft. You can turn most of those features off, but whenever they update the system (without asking) they usually turn those features back on (without informing you).

Older versions of Windows will also never support newer hardware, unlike in the past. If you buy new hardware, you'll have to use Windows 10.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:55 pm

ShepherdsDog wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windows-10-upgrade-1.3430469

Turn off automatic updates.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Dr. Caleb,

Is there an alternate OS available for those of us who do internet browsing, but also want to play windows-based games?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:31 pm

:D

Attachments:
ATT00006.jpg
ATT00006.jpg [ 35.87 KiB | Viewed 481 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:20 pm

DrCaleb wrote:
ShepherdsDog wrote:

Not quite correct. If you have your settings in Windows 7/8/8.1 at default of "Download Updates but let me choose..." then when you shut down your computer it installs without asking.

If you change Windows Update to "Never Update" and then do it manually, then it won't install. This is what I changed my systems to when they started deploying all the 'telemetry' stuff they use to spy on you.

Yeah great but you're a geek. :lol:

What about us regular numbnuts who won't remember that we have to blah blah and blah
every Saturday night instead of, I dunno, beer and hockey ?

Will you post "ok kids, time to update and install this and this, but not that ? :lol:

I did however change to 'check for updates but let me choose' for now,

I really really really dont want Windows 10, I figure windows 7
gives those fuckers too much info already.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 pm

I'm running XP on one of my machines I think 10 will cause a melt down :lol:

My computers are old hand-me-downs they work I'm good. Sure as hell don't need 10 muddling it all up

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:13 pm

I changed my settings to allow me to control what updates installed awhile ago when Windows10 first came out and my laptop started auto-downloadng it. I cancelled the process, mostly because my internet connection here is a wifi one that can be unbelievably slow most of the time, so even back when I did the upgrade to 8.1 I waited until I was back down in the city using a high-speed connection, otherwise it would have taken hours. I only regularly allow the basic important updates otherwise and mostly ignore the optional ones.

I notice when I see the message upon start up that I have updates waiting to install and I go to view them the one for Windows 10 is always check-marked. I just un-check it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 pm

housewife wrote:
I'm running XP on one of my machines I think 10 will cause a melt down :lol:

Oh man, you might as well be swimming through a pile of used medical needles with nothing but a t-shirt and shorts... Seriously hope you don't let the internet touch that machine...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:57 pm

martin14 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
ShepherdsDog wrote:

What about us regular numbnuts who won't remember that we have to blah blah and blah

Will you post "ok kids, time to update and install this and this, but not that ? :lol:

Here's how to change it, just in case:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind ... =windows-7

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:01 am

Canadian_Mind wrote:
Dr. Caleb,

Is there an alternate OS available for those of us who do internet browsing, but also want to play windows-based games?

Yes, and, no.

Windows based games generally run only under Windows. The Windows emulator in Linux is pretty good, but it's not 100% on games.

But Steam does support Linux now, and they offer many titles that support Linux.

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

The new PC I'm building will be Fedora Core based, and I'll do my Windows gaming by using VMWare Workstation to run a virtual copy of my current Windows 7 based PC.

Many people are also changing from Windows based gaming to Console based, just to avoid Windows 10. There are Apple based games as well, as Apple OS X was based on a Linux variant, but many companies don't offer Apple based games - just Windows or some console versions.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 am

martin14 wrote:

Guilty. :lol:

I'd like to post what you should and shouldn't install, but Microsoft make it intentionally difficult to do so. When they post things in Windows Update, they no longer are using a detailed description about the update. They all say something like "This update fixes a problem that can be use to compromise Windows bla bla bla". If you click on the "More Information" link in the update, then it takes you to the Microsoft Update site and provides a more detailed explanation of the patch. Anything that includes 'Telemetry' should be avoided. Trouble is, you have to go through each one and uncheck the box individually in order to not get the tracking updates.

If it took you to this page for example, you can safely avoid the update and the safety of your system won't be compromised.

This is an early article on the patches inflicted on Windows 7 and 8.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/80373 ... r-data.htm

It's by no means comprehensive, as Microsoft has been employing some dirty tricks to get people to adopt Windows 10 unknowingly.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-settings ... ll-update/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:11 am

I have Win 8.1 which got screwed up when I downloaded a STM32BOOTLOADER (USB) driver for a new TX.
The mouse and keyboard ceased to work as both are USB. Had to do a complete new install. First thing after is to disable all updates and kill all the odd things windows wants to load.
Now I'm back to a fairly clean operation. We'll see how long that lasts. :D