Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:17 pm

Recently had to replace a home desk top as the old video card died. Bigger better faster PC that should leap tall buildings, etc. It came with Windows 8.1 and I foolishly thought I could figure it out. After a week I was really frustrated. After two weeks I started searching the internet for answers. Found some that partially returned it to usable, but the 'metro screens' kept popping up at the wrong time. Microsoft has decided that you cannot go backwards and must adapt to their version of a touch screen interface running on non touch screen format. F$#%&#g A#$%%##&s

After two months I have finally given up and installed Classic Shell to see if that cures my woes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:04 am

Caelon Caelon:
Recently had to replace a home desk top as the old video card died. Bigger better faster PC that should leap tall buildings, etc. It came with Windows 8.1 and I foolishly thought I could figure it out. After a week I was really frustrated. After two weeks I started searching the internet for answers. Found some that partially returned it to usable, but the 'metro screens' kept popping up at the wrong time. Microsoft has decided that you cannot go backwards and must adapt to their version of a touch screen interface running on non touch screen format. F$#%&#g A#$%%##&s

After two months I have finally given up and installed Classic Shell to see if that cures my woes.

LOL my wife picked up a new laptop with 8.1 on Monday. She's already adjusted to it. I on the other hand, hate it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:20 am

My wife has a new machine with Windows 8.1 and absolutely hates it. She has asked for (and is getting) a load of Windows 7 for Christmas and I found them at Tiger Direct. They even have them in stock for 32 and 64 bit processors.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:36 am

I have no problem with it, it took me about a week to get use to 8.0, I liked it so much I didn't want to download the 8.1 update, just in case they added some weird crap to it. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:11 am

Caelon Caelon:
Recently had to replace a home desk top as the old video card died.

If you still have the desktop I have a few .5 to 1GB video cards around and I'm sure I've got one that's compatible. Send me the computer make and model and your OS (hopefully Win 7) and I'll let you know what I have. If it'll work I'll be happy to send it on gratis. They're spare parts to me and if they don't get reused they'll end up getting recycled. I'd rather see them reused. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:12 am

BTW, 8.1 is AWESOME for tablets but I'd sooner cut off my right hand with a meat cleaver than use it on a desktop.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:15 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Caelon Caelon:

If you still have the desktop I have a few .5 to 1GB video cards around and I'm sure I've got one that's compatible. Send me the computer make and model and your OS (hopefully Win 7) and I'll let you know what I have. If it'll work I'll be happy to send it on gratis. They're spare parts to me and if they don't get reused they'll end up getting recycled. I'd rather see them reused. :wink:

So new computers won't work with Win 7? Can't you just get it installed when you buy your computer?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 am

I detest the move towards touchscreens. I dread the thought of one day all the desktops and laptops being touchscreens. It's annoying enough on the tablet that I hooked a mouse up to it just because I find the touchscreen to be so awkward as to make the experience completely lousy.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:20 am

andyt andyt:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Caelon Caelon:

So new computers won't work with Win 7? Can't you just get it installed when you buy your computer?

This is about his old computer, not the new one. If the old computer is Win XP then there's little point in fixing it just so it can be easily hacked the first time it's back on the internet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:37 am

We bought a new laptop for my wife about six months ago and it had Win 8 on it. It sits upstairs and hardly ever gets used because of the frustration with the touchscreen (even with Classic Shell), while my little netbook is downstairs and gets used everyday. I should try and find a copy of Win 7 somewhere and install it on the thing one of these days...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:39 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
We bought a new laptop for my wife about six months ago and it had Win 8 on it. It sits upstairs and hardly ever gets used because of the frustration with the touchscreen (even with Classic Shell), while my little netbook is downstairs and gets used everyday. I should try and find a copy of Win 7 somewhere and install it on the thing one of these days...

Tiger Direct in Burlington, ON ... bought it two weeks ago for about $100. They had both 32 & 64 Bit versions.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 am

Thanos Thanos:
I detest the move towards touchscreens. I dread the thought of one day all the desktops and laptops being touchscreens. It's annoying enough on the tablet that I hooked a mouse up to it just because I find the touchscreen to be so awkward as to make the experience completely lousy.

The touchscreens are likely to be replaced with air gesture capable screens as we already see on smart phones like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & 4.

The potential for these screens is pretty awesome especially as adaptive technology for people who can't employ the full use of their fingers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Tiger Direct in Burlington, ON ... bought it two weeks ago for about $100. They had both 32 & 64 Bit versions.

Thanks, but I don't feel like driving that far - Google Maps lists it at 3400+ KMs... :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:27 am

There's a new concept out there called "shopping on line" that makes use of a quirky, yet inexpensive service called "UPS". The really amazing thing is that THEY do the driving instead of you.

It's a modern miracle!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Fer God's sake it's a two minute operation to install Classic Shell and get the bost of both worlds.
And it's free. Paying to downgrade to Windows 7 is ridiculous, it's an okay but inferior OS underneath. Why run an OLD OS that's TWO behind?
Get those damn things out of the closet, install Classic Shell (and DO update to 8.1) and use the bloody things.
Install Adobe Reader too, that MSoft PDF thing is nowhere as good.
Windows TEN testing is out for download and puts the Start button back - but it shows the fucking tiles for each group again when you click the items on the menu. They've already come up with a fix that's not as good as Classic Shell.