CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Forum rules

This is a Conservative Party forum meant for like-minded discussion, if you want to flame or debate in open, please use the main Canadian Politics forum.

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:19 pm

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada

$1:
Hearn questions slogan 'Canada's new government'

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- More than a year after Prime Minister Stephen Harper was elected, his government continues to sell itself as "Canada's new government.''

But one federal cabinet minister admitted Wednesday he avoids the oft-used partisan slogan and wonders why it's in every government news release.

"I very seldom use the term,'' Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn, Newfoundland's representative in cabinet, said after a military funding announcement.

"I asked that question actually some time ago: why do we still call ourselves the new government? If it happens to be written in the script ... I skip it, and if I'm doing my own stuff, I don't use it.''

Besides news releases and prepared speeches, communications staff for the federal Conservatives use the slogan in emails, suggested talking points and on banners.

Harper and many cabinet ministers continue to say they're "Canada's new government'' almost 15 months after they were elected.

The government fired B.C. scientist Andrew Okulitch for mocking an order to use the phrase in official correspondence from the Geological Survey of Canada, but he was reinstated two weeks later.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:08 pm

I think it's time to drop it as well. I always thought it was kind of corny. They don't need fancy slogans for people to know they aren't like the Liberals.